Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have Auto-cross on Saturday and Drags on Sunday (Trials until 10:00 AM, Matching Times, Record and Two E.T. Drags). I’m not concerned about Auto-cross, but I’m hesitant about the Drags.

My car is STOCK and I’ll be on STREET tires Kuhmo MX’s in the rear (same as used for Auto-cross).

Any and all tips (or words of caution) will be appreciated. Things like burn-out (heat the tires) or not, launch RPM, how much gas peddle when shifting & etc.

Understand that I’m not trying to break any land-speed-records. I just want to have a Fun and Safe day.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Most important run in COMP MODE

I would stay out the water and just spin the tires to clean them off. For the first pass I would launch at 2k like your leaving from a stop and make it a shake out pass to get the feel for the car and the track. From there you can adjust your launch either up or down.

If you have time read Rangers tips that are a sticky on the top of this forum

Have fun :cheers:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Kat said:

I would stay out the water and just spin the tires to clean them off. For the first pass I would launch at 2k like your leaving from a stop and make it a shake out pass to get the feel for the car and the track. From there you can adjust your launch either up or down.

Totally agree with everything that Kat posted. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kat said:

. . .

Thanks Kat - I looked at Ranger's tips - just what I'm looking for. Wish me luck.

Joe

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Good Hunting Joe, let us know how you make out. :z:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
JoeS said:
Thanks Kat - I looked at Ranger's tips - just what I'm looking for. Wish me luck.

Joe
Good Luck :yeadog: and have fun.

PS-Since you auto-x I'm sure you will do fine :thumb:

PSS- I haven't read Rangers post in a while in case it isn't mentioned. If the car does start to get loose and you let out of it don't get back into it. The pass is lost.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
if the assend gets loose..
don't try to correct or adjust..
just lift off the gas..
stay out of the wall !!!!!

very important.

very important

i have seen 2 accidents at the track in my short career.. and both thought they could correct the wiggly tail.

as for launching..

dont wait for the green light..

go on the yellow just before the green.. you reaction times will be better...

good luck and have fun

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
So how did you do?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KAT:

Not as good as I hoped. We dodged the rain all day - very humid.

I made every mistake there is - hit the rev limiter way too many times. But, and this is a very big but - I had a BLAST!!

I got 7 runs in with 3 in the 13.4s. The best was 13.443 with 109.71 mph (and yes I hit the rev limiter going into 2nd and also 3rd). My worst was 13.890 with 106.25 mph.

I think more practice is certainly in the future (and very much needed)! The good news is - in "Matching Times" I took 2nd place in my class (14 cars).

I also had the "sticking clutch on the floor" show up - down-shifting after the run - just popped it up with my toe. Happened twice, so after that I coasted and used the brake more - no more sticking.

Joe

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Congrats on the 2nd place :cheers:

If you do happen to go drags again, we found with the stock clutch if you pump it like three times before we staged it prolonged it's life a little longer.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kat said:
Congrats on the 2nd place :cheers:

If you do happen to go drags again, we found with the stock clutch if you pump it like three times before we staged it prolonged it's life a little longer.

Good FYI - I'll store that in the gray matter for the future.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
Monitor your clutch fluid reservoir. Ranger swears that a faster rate replacement of the clutch fluid has helped keep his original stock clutch working long past its expected life. He made allot of passes on his OEM 2002 clutch. It is normal that the fluid gets black because that comes from the seals, However the high heat generated by a drag pass breaks down the fluid faster and leads to your sticking clutch.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
panzer

I understand what your saying - but my "sticking clutch" seemed to be mechanical in nature.

My clutch pedal only had about 1 & 1/2 inch of movement with immediate clutch engage. All I had to do was pop it up with my toe - then I had normal clutch action again.

I read to posts about the clutch spring and I think I may remove it as suggested. But I'm still open to ideas or suggestions on this.

Joe

·
Registered
338 Posts
Which track did you go to? Next time I will try to make it out. I need to retire some supercar tires anyways and work on my launches.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chrisrokc said:
Which track did you go to? Next time I will try to make it out. I need to retire some supercar tires anyways and work on my launches.

Chrisrokc:

The Oklahoma City Corvette Club (OCCC) sponsored a NCCC event over Memorial Weekend.

Sat. was 6 auto-cross events at the Sheriff's track on NE 36th & Air Depot Road.

Sun. we held the drag events; Matching Times, Record Run and 2 ET bracket (Dial-In) events. The drag events were held at Thunder Valley Raceway in Noble, OK. Thunder Valley is 1 of only 2 all concrete drag strips in the US. The 2nd is in Ennis, TX.

If you want any info on OCCC or another club I belong to (Central Oklahoma Corvette Club - COCC) send me a PM with your email address or phone numbers and I'll contact you with all of the ways to get in touch with me.

I'm Look forward to getting together.

Joe

·
Registered
162 Posts
That happened to me tonight (about the sticky clutch pedal). It happened after my 2nd run and a little more on my 3rd run.

I did my very first 3 drags tonight. I didn't do so well either, but I am learning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts