Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the window tint company I used agreed that they are responsible for scratching my back window and therefore will be telling their insurance company to contact me for settlement. What should I ask for? I dread having the rear window replaced only because I'm afraid of what else might be damaged in the process. If I ask for monetary compensation would asking for the window's retail value and the cost of new tint be the most reasonable thing??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Arthur

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
IMHO, you should be entitled to the cost of a new OEM Window and the amount of $$ you paid to tint THAT window.

Best of luck!

Les

·
Registered
151 Posts
The insurance company will most likely agree only to replace the window and tint the new one. They won't have to pay retail to have it replaced so getting a check for full retail replacement cost is probably a long shot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The insurance company might also recommend a scratch repair company that can buff the scratch out for a small fraction of the price...I used to work for a company that could buff scratches out of windows with a special buffer and several different stages of compund. Very neat process and nice alternative to replacing the entire window, however the car will get pretty dusty with all the compund residue; we always detailed the car after it was done. Hope this helps you out a bit. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Are you going to have the glass replaced for sure, or take the money and live with it??? Did they scratch the matrix at the top inside, outside during prep or what?? Just curious.

Joe

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you going to have the glass replaced for sure, or take the money and live with it??? Did they scratch the matrix at the top inside, outside during prep or what?? Just curious.

Joe
I'm torn really.:-?

As for the area scratched, it's an area that extends from inside the dot matrix to the area just above the first defroster line and extends from one side of the glass to the other (left to right). The worst area is about 3.5 to 4.0 inches wide of several straight line scratches. It's as if the guy used steel wool to smooth over the dot matrix area and got very careless. The shop owner said it was the worst he had seen and was more than apologetic and commented that's why he has insurance. In any case, I'll post a picture tomorrowwhen the lighting is better.

Arthur

·
Registered
968 Posts
The rear window is not 2,500.00 get real!! Get ot replaced with NO tint. It hurts resale with windows tinted!!:guiness:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
OK guys I've looked all over the net for the price of the rear glass with no luck. They make you get a quote. I didn't find one price list.
Another thing that would bother me is not knowing if they replace it with the correct glass. ('01 vs '03) How easy would it be for them to buy a cheaper version to replace it with? How would you know if you got the right one? Is there a part number to look out for?

These are things I would think about finding out if it happened to me.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
roushraven said:
I dread having the rear window replaced only because I'm afraid of what else might be damaged in the process
Arthur
If the replacement is done by a reputable glass shop, I don't think I'd be concerned with any collateral damage. They should know what they're doing, no?

Dilly03 -

roushraven said the tinter's insurance has agreed to pay the cost. How in the world would roushraven's insurance get involved
:-?

I think dfunde01 is probably right. The insurance company probably will ONLY replace the glass and not write you a check. That's my opinion also.

Charlie

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the window is really scratched badly, would you not want to replace it?
Yes. Fortunately the scratches are only visible from the outside.

If the replacement is done by a reputable glass shop, I don't think I'd be concerned with any collateral damage. They should know what they're doing, no?
I hope so but then again I didn't expect the tint shop to make the scratches in the first place and that shop is reportedly the best in this town.

Here's some of it:

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Yeah, you gotta get that replaced. For what it's worth, when I had my window tinted I told them not to do anything to prep the Dot Matrix other than clean it real good. The tinting let loose on a few of the dots over time, but it was better than the alternative, and if I ever want to go back to original it can be done with no damage of any kind.

Joe:)

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
z06nut said:
OK guys I've looked all over the net for the price of the rear glass with no luck. They make you get a quote. I didn't find one price list.
Another thing that would bother me is not knowing if they replace it with the correct glass. ('01 vs '03) How easy would it be for them to buy a cheaper version to replace it with? How would you know if you got the right one? Is there a part number to look out for?

These are things I would think about finding out if it happened to me.
Checked the parts manual I have and the back window is the same for 99-02 (I have an 02 parts manual), so I am willing to bet there has never been a change in the back window on the FRC. The part number is 10424406.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well here's what I found out so far. Retail replacement cost for the rear window is $5934.55 according to Safelite. I still haven't been contacted by the tint shop's insurance company, but if I were to use my own insurance it would cost (them) $3323.00 tax and deductible included.

Arthur

·
Registered
486 Posts
roushraven said:
Retail replacement cost for the rear window is $5934.55 according to Safelite.

Arthur
AAAHHHHHHH:!! :eek: You have got to be kidding me. I have a stone chip in front window. Is this what I have to look forward to?:mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts