Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched all the posts and read as many as I can. Now I'm more :screwy: than ever.

I want to do a cam only upgrade at this time, with the probability of heads (AFR's) later. I have Dynatech LT's and high flow cats now, with stock TI's. I want that mean lopey sound, with as much power as possible, but don't want any reliability issues, and do NOT want to fly cut the pistons.

I've met Steve (smithsc) and heard his car. Simply amazing for a cam only. Was he just lucky with his car accepting that cam and not having tolerance issues, or would we all have the same fortune? If so, that TR cam sounds like the best choice.

What's the biggest cam I can install in my 02Z without fly cutting the pistons?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Give Mr Skinner a call at TR. He will give you the straight scoop on his cams and tunning. Make sure you ask for him.

D.J.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you are seriously considering AFR heads you shoudl call them to ask about cam selection. It would be a good idea to match the cam to the heads. I think they are using a camshaft with 4 degrees more exhaust duration than intake duration.

As far as how big you can go without a flycut I am not sure, I think the LG G5X3 on 114 LSA was right on the cusp.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
niphilli said:
As far as how big you can go without a flycut I am not sure, I think the LG G5X3 on 114 LSA was right on the cusp.
I have AFR 205's and the G5X3 cam on a 114 LSA and there was no need for any flycutting. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the 114 LSA give me the lope I'm looking for?

Don, what other mods do you have, and what kind of numbers are you pulling?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
slvr02 said:
Will the 114 LSA give me the lope I'm looking for?

Don, what other mods do you have, and what kind of numbers are you pulling?
I like the 114 LSA...you can tell I've got a cam. ;) As for my mods, Kooks 1 3/4 headers (offroad set-up), FAST 90 intake/NW 90 TB, VaraRam, Excedy dual disc clutch, UD pulley, double roller timing chain, hardened pushrods, Comp 921 springs, 4.10 gears and stock Ti catback. The AFR 205's were milled to 59 cc, so my CR is ~ 11.1. The car dyno'd 470 rwhp/415rwtq thru the 4.10 gears, tuned w/ 93 octane gas. The car runs very well and can be driven around town in 4th gear at 40 mph with absolutley no issue.

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
slvr02 said:
I've searched all the posts and read as many as I can. Now I'm more :screwy: than ever.

I want to do a cam only upgrade at this time, with the probability of heads (AFR's) later. I have Dynatech LT's and high flow cats now, with stock TI's. I want that mean lopey sound, with as much power as possible, but don't want any reliability issues, and do NOT want to fly cut the pistons.

I've met Steve (smithsc) and heard his car. Simply amazing for a cam only. Was he just lucky with his car accepting that cam and not having tolerance issues, or would we all have the same fortune? If so, that TR cam sounds like the best choice.

What's the biggest cam I can install in my 02Z without fly cutting the pistons?
What other mods. do you have or have planned? I think I have a good cam selection for you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You will be ok with
MTI G1 the best cam for a stock LS6 heads
MTI X1
OR
G5x2 and 3
But you need to Chang the pushrods and the Valve Spring`s because you ar going above .565 lift for the stock pushrods

·
Registered
118 Posts
niphilli said:
If you are seriously considering AFR heads you shoudl call them to ask about cam selection. It would be a good idea to match the cam to the heads. I think they are using a camshaft with 4 degrees more exhaust duration than intake duration.

I agree! Im swapping to a 224/228 duration on a 114.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
HIndsights 20/20 so take my advice ...do the AFR heads with the comp 921 dual valve springs installed when you replace the cam with the 224/228 .588 114lsa cam that AFR recommends...

The valve spring kit by itself is a major portion of the cost for the cam only and it wouldn't make much sense if your thinking of doing it later on....anyway....

I would recommend a bigger cam than I chose (which I did for the emissions testing done in my state prior to the change over to the pcm only test) Same with the AFR heads...They weren't out at the time and I didn't want to wait any longer...

Now I'm just enjoying the ~ 400rwhp 380 lb/ft of torque...but in hindsight I should have gone bigger..(but who knew NJ would go to pcm test instead of sniffer)

Go with a proven package combo...figure to sell your stock LS6 heads for about???? 700...deduct that from your cost of the afr's with the 921's installed and the cost of doing the heads at the same time is quite palatable...

Ask Don...first he did the G3X5 cam with the 921 springs...and shortly after went for the AFR heads...

I would think Don could give the best insight of both setups...

Hopefully Don will come back and post it up for us.

PS..My baby cam is a little light after a few months...MY tuner told me so but I didn't want to deal with emission testing issues and so I'd say I'm pleased with the end result but should have if I were doing it over and I knew what I knew now?

I'd go 224/228 114lsa and AFR heads...but now I'm thinking C6 Z06 down the road...so I'm pretty much in the just enjoy the car as it now mode..

If your keeping the car...and in texas...Hand the car over to LG and let him work his magic...His heads and cam packages are always top notch....and his combos do deliver the goods....

Just shooting the breeze...so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Don Benson said:
I like the 114 LSA...you can tell I've got a cam. ;) As for my mods, Kooks 1 3/4 headers (offroad set-up), FAST 90 intake/NW 90 TB, VaraRam, Excedy dual disc clutch, UD pulley, double roller timing chain, hardened pushrods, Comp 921 springs, 4.10 gears and stock Ti catback. The AFR 205's were milled to 59 cc, so my CR is ~ 11.1. The car dyno'd 470 rwhp/415rwtq thru the 4.10 gears, tuned w/ 93 octane gas. The car runs very well and can be driven around town in 4th gear at 40 mph with absolutley no issue.

Don
This is a great setup and very easy to live with. if I can ever get my kids out of college, I'll probably go this route with the motor. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
HIndsights 20/20 so take my advice ...do the AFR heads with the comp 921 dual valve springs installed when you replace the cam with the 224/228 .588 114lsa cam that AFR recommends...

The valve spring kit by itself is a major portion of the cost for the cam only and it wouldn't make much sense if your thinking of doing it later on....anyway....

I would recommend a bigger cam than I chose (which I did for the emissions testing done in my state prior to the change over to the pcm only test) Same with the AFR heads...They weren't out at the time and I didn't want to wait any longer...

Now I'm just enjoying the ~ 400rwhp 380 lb/ft of torque...but in hindsight I should have gone bigger..(but who knew NJ would go to pcm test instead of sniffer)

Go with a proven package combo...figure to sell your stock LS6 heads for about???? 700...deduct that from your cost of the afr's with the 921's installed and the cost of doing the heads at the same time is quite palatable...

Ask Don...first he did the G3X5 cam with the 921 springs...and shortly after went for the AFR heads...

I would think Don could give the best insight of both setups...

Hopefully Don will come back and post it up for us.

PS..My baby cam is a little light after a few months...MY tuner told me so but I didn't want to deal with emission testing issues and so I'd say I'm pleased with the end result but should have if I were doing it over and I knew what I knew now?

I'd go 224/228 114lsa and AFR heads...but now I'm thinking C6 Z06 down the road...so I'm pretty much in the just enjoy the car as it now mode..

If your keeping the car...and in texas...Hand the car over to LG and let him work his magic...His heads and cam packages are always top notch....and his combos do deliver the goods....

Just shooting the breeze...so take it for what its worth.
JB is giving good advice. Do it all at once. If I had to do it over again, I know I would have. Since I hope we have convinced you to consider a "big" cam, then you'll need the 921 dual springs. Since the AFR 205's come with these already installed (at least the ones from LG do) then you'll be getting these once (unlike me, who ended up with a set on my stock LS6 heads from the G5X3 cam install...it did make the sale of them easier, though :yeadog: as well as the ones that came on the AFR 205's ).

Also consder the FAST 90/NW 90mm TB as long as the car is in under the knife. It is a nice combo and worth a good 20 rwhp/10rwtq on a H/C combo.

Don

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
q80_ZO6 said:
You will be ok with
MTI G1 the best cam for a stock LS6 heads
MTI X1
OR
G5x2 and 3
But you need to Chang the pushrods and the Valve Spring`s because you ar going above .565 lift for the stock pushrods
:yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Do it all at once!!
Figure out what you want, then buy the whole package!!
I did it a little at a time :bang:
*Intake and exhaust, LS1 edit.
*Cam only, LS1 edit
*Heads and another cam, LS1 edit.
When you add up the labor and edit costs by going piecemeal, I could have had a set of LG's original longtubes for free and sold the TPIS!!

Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts