Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, Mitchell Hamm posted:

"In looking at a picture showing the Hurst and the Ripper, the Hurst's fulcrum point is lower. This translates into less shift effort (assuming an identical shaft length) and a longer throw. The Ripper differs from stock by having both a shorter lever (higher shift effort) and a higher fulcrum point (higher shift effort)."

Is this really true about the fulcrum point heights? Has anyone actually *measured* the fulcrum point height on the Ripper, Kirban and Hurst? If not, does anyone have access to all three to measure?

I'm interested in this measurment, as I would like to shorten the shift throw while raising the height of the knob (the result of a higher fulcrum point).

TIA for your help.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
JimGreen said:
I'm interested in this measurment, as I would like to shorten the shift throw while raising the height of the knob (the result of a higher fulcrum point).
Hmmm... I think that the higher the fulcrum (pivot) point, the shorter the throw; and the higher the knob, the better the leverage (the height of the knob is NOT necessarily a result of a higher fulcrum point, but rather just the result of a longer shaft).

Maybe this is what you're saying anyway.

Anyway, I think I've heard that the Ripper (which I have) has [one of] the highest pivot point, so the throws are some of the shortest. If you think this requires too much shift effort (which, I assure you, it doesn't), you could always put a tall[er] knob on the shaft. Me, I have a Hardbar knob on the Ripper, and have screwed it down as LOW as it will go. I like the short shaft and extremely short throws.

To answer your INITIAL question, no, I don't have any hard data on the three. Sorry! :)

-Kirk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kirk,

You are correct. But the reason I want a higher fulcrum point is so I can have a higher shift knob height (i.e. a longer shaft above the fulcurm) and still have a relatively short shift throw. (Like on older Ferraris.) I would use a *longer* shift knob combined with the higher fulcrum to achieve this.

Anyone else out there able to measure the fulcrum height on these three shifters? Any dealers?

TIA for your help.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
JimGreen said:
Kirk,

You are correct. But the reason I want a higher fulcrum point is so I can have a higher shift knob height (i.e. a longer shaft above the fulcurm) and still have a relatively short shift throw. (Like on older Ferraris.) I would use a *longer* shift knob combined with the higher fulcrum to achieve this.

Anyone else out there able to measure the fulcrum height on these three shifters? Any dealers?

TIA for your help.
Ah... I see. Well, again, I don't have the measurements. However, I imagine that the points are rather close to one another, and so there may not be enough of an appreciable difference to worry about (read: you should just get one, and get that damn POS stock one out of there! ;)).

Another thing to consider is that there tends to be a bot of noise associated with the aftermarket shifters when the "proper" knob isn't installed atop it. I would have recommended the Hardbar knob (since its length is on the long side) just not screwed all the way down the shaft, but it may make noise this way since the threads run deep inside it and it would be hollow at the unscrewed portion. Hmmm...

Maybe someone else can provide you with some hard data.

-Kirk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts