Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 z06 that I will be doing several de's with. I have done about 10 so far and have at least 8-10 I should make this year. I do drive my car to work in nice weather. I want to use harnesses this year. I would also like to be able to use my stock belts for driving to work. sparco roadsters are attractive because they allow pass throughs for harnesses which the stock seats do not but I can use my stock belts as well because the thigh bolster is lower. However I can only use a 4 point belt since there are no sub holes I beleive. The evo2 is attractive because I can use a 6 point belt but I dont think I can use a stock belt and it would be harder to get in and out during daily use due to the thigh bolsters. what do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
mooch said:
I have an 02 z06 that I will be doing several de's with. I have done about 10 so far and have at least 8-10 I should make this year. I do drive my car to work in nice weather. I want to use harnesses this year. I would also like to be able to use my stock belts for driving to work. sparco roadsters are attractive because they allow pass throughs for harnesses which the stock seats do not but I can use my stock belts as well because the thigh bolster is lower. However I can only use a 4 point belt since there are no sub holes I beleive. The evo2 is attractive because I can use a 6 point belt but I dont think I can use a stock belt and it would be harder to get in and out during daily use due to the thigh bolsters. what do you think?
The problem with many of the aftermarket seats is that they will not fit in the narrow space at the bottom of the Corvette. When I looked at seats over a year ago, I looked at Sparco, Cobreau, and Recaro and none of them made a seat that properly fit the Corvette. While that may have changed as a function of time, I suggest looking at either Vette Essentials, or Caravaggio. Their seats will fit. I have a set of Caravaggio sport seats ,and dual 5-point harnesses, and I love them.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Last year (DEs, occasional street) I used a six point, BK lap / sub belt brackets and a Hardbar. I cut 2 small slices in the seams of my stock seats to allow the shoulder harness to pass through. (I bought a spare seat cover first). This allowed for stock seat belt to remain in place. I used clip in ends for my harness, which I only used on the track. This set up worked reasonably well in terms of holding me in place on the track, you couldn't see the slits, and of course was fine for street.

This year (full wheel to wheel racing), I am using a six point, a roll bar, and a Sparco Evo 2 seat. The Evo 2 does fit, but barely, with the wing just touching the door panel when closed. I had to custom build a base for the seat, and to accomodate the bub belts and one side of the lap belts. The trim on the inside of the door jamb had to be trimmed. The stock seat belt had to be removed completely.

I would recommend my last year setup for your current needs.... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,149 Posts
I was looking at these SPARCO seats.....



Until a good members showed me THESE!



The Black and Red Milanos run about a grand each but man, they are gorgeous seats! I would get these custom with white leather in place of the red leather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
I just have a plain steel tube framed Cobra Monoco and I do drive the car on the street. I still have stock seat belts in there as well as a 5-point harness. It works great for both.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
I was looking at these SPARCO seats.....



Until a good members showed me THESE!



The Black and Red Milanos run about a grand each but man, they are gorgeous seats! I would get these custom with white leather in place of the red leather.
I was told the recline adjuster makes the seat not fit in a C5. I'd make sure of the fit before ordering these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
Unless you have narrow shoulders like I do, I think you can use the stock seats with a harness bar and belts. Our fearless leader, JC, used to have a neat setup in his Z06. It was all black and retained the OEM belts for street use. I would also consider having pass-through holes put in stock seats???

Do a search and you'll find JC's installation instructions.

I bought a set of Corvette Sport Seats to solve my narrow shoulder problem. I hope to install them this summer.

Let us know what you do.

:z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
My race seat is a full blown kevlar FIA approved Cobra Suzuka seat mounted on a custom mount made by Phoenix Performance.

In looking for a similar solution to what you are looking at for my passenger seat recently, I just bought a Corbeau Forza. Corbeau tells me this seat will fit in the C5/Z06 and they now make a mount specific for both the right and left sides of the Corvette. Mine is now sitting in a box in my garage, so I don't have first hand experience with it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
Ues to have that seat (Forza) in my 1990 race vette. It was perfect and inexpensive.
a few times I drove to event though in that car and after a few hours my butt coulnd't take it. Add a cushion for street driving and it should be fine. Also stock belts really don't work anymore once you get a high side support going.
The EVO seat they use for the Carravagio's (roadster) has low sides and works no problem.
That is probably best of all worlds. A little bit less then a full race seat in support but worlds better in comfort.
:thumb:

That's what I am getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
Ues to have that seat (Forza) in my 1990 race vette. It was perfect and inexpensive.
a few times I drove to event though in that car and after a few hours my butt coulnd't take it. Add a cushion for street driving and it should be fine. Also stock belts really don't work anymore once you get a high side support going.
The EVO seat they use for the Carravagio's (roadster) has low sides and works no problem.
That is probably best of all worlds. A little bit less then a full race seat in support but worlds better in comfort.
:thumb:

That's what I am getting.
Forza is a little too wide for me - 32/33 in waist, but for the price is very attractive. The Roadster is probably what I'm going to buy for its ability to use both harnesses and stock belts and general ease of getting into and out of for street use. They have much better lateral support than the stock seats, though not as good as a true race seat like the EVO.

If you have 6-pt belts, you may not need to cut a hole in the seat bottom of the Roadster for sub-belts. You can probably mount them to the same area as the lap belts, then have them run under your legs (basically sit on them) and fasten to the cam-lock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I have the Sparco Roadsters and I love them. They fit well, and give me the headroom I need. They work well for daily driving, though getting in and out is a little tougher than with the stockers, but nowhere near as bad as full race buckets. Sparco doesn't recommend them for "competition". I was told this was due to their more reclined seating angle. That seems a little strange, but possible. I know several people who use them for DE's and like them. Mine have a small slot cut in the base to run the sub belt through. It goes right between the two lower seat cushions. :usa:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,998 Posts
ROSSO Z said:
Unless you have narrow shoulders like I do, I think you can use the stock seats with a harness bar and belts. Our fearless leader, JC, used to have a neat setup in his Z06. It was all black and retained the OEM belts for street use. I would also consider having pass-through holes put in stock seats???

Do a search and you'll find JC's installation instructions.

I bought a set of Corvette Sport Seats to solve my narrow shoulder problem. I hope to install them this summer.

Let us know what you do.

:z:
Where did you find the Super Sport seats?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Dr Chill said:
I was told the recline adjuster makes the seat not fit in a C5. I'd make sure of the fit before ordering these.

That is true of the Milanos.

In speaking w/ a Sparco rep several months ago - I was told that the new Modena will most likely fit in a vette becasue it is narrower than most of their street/reclining seats. I guess it wouldn't hurt to verify first if it does fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
If cost is not an issue, go w/ Caravaggio. Otherwise, the Sparco Roadsters are good and they look similar to Caravaggios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
The EVO seat they use for the Carravagio's (roadster) has low sides and works no problem.

That is probably best of all worlds. A little bit less then a full race seat in support but worlds better in comfort.
Can anyone provide more specifics on this seat? Which EVO model?

Thanks,
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Scott GN231 said:
Can anyone provide more specifics on this seat? Which EVO model?

Thanks,
Scott
Carravagio uses the Sparco Roadster. They wrap it in leather and make a bracket that allows it to the stock seat base. Very nice, but pricey. I say go with the Sparco Roadster and a set of aftermarket sliders, although I have not yet done so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Caravaggio does not use the Sparco Roadster. It is similar, but the bottom of the seat is longer. Also, unless they have changed the design, there is not bracket that allows it to use the stock base. Instead, Caravaggio has modelded the seat and put holes in the bottom at the proper locations so it can be bolted directly to the stock seat frame.

There's lots of posts on these seats. Here's a few:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70100&page=2&pp=15&highlight=caravaggio+seat

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47016&highlight=caravaggio+seat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
MySR71 said:
Caravaggio does not use the Sparco Roadster. It is similar, but the bottom of the seat is longer. Also, unless they have changed the design, there is not bracket that allows it to use the stock base. Instead, Caravaggio has modelded the seat and put holes in the bottom at the proper locations so it can be bolted directly to the stock seat frame.

There's lots of posts on these seats. Here's a few:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70100&page=2&pp=15&highlight=caravaggio+seat

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47016&highlight=caravaggio+seat
I stand corrected. Boy, they sure do look like Sparco Roadsters...
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top