Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I purchased an xequipped HID kit. It is suppose to be a plug and play kit. I just got the kit and attempted to install it. When I was testing the system they did not work, so I reinstalled old bulbs and they worked. The directions are very limited and very general. The only thing that comes to mind is in the instructions it says that "If vehicle has fuses for headlamps, please change fuses into 20-A ones and plug in kit". Do you think it is the fuses, the kit itself, or the rookie(me) trying to install them that is the problem. Any suggestions or comments would be grealty appreiacted.
Thanks in Advance,
Jack

·
Registered
236 Posts
If the kit is a true HID, and not just Xenon HID-like bulbs - then your fuse wont be a problem. True HID's use far less wattage then conventional bulbs, so whatever your fuse is it should be higher then what you need.

The question is exactly what HID kit did you get. There are tons. Without more info it would be hard to help you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the xequipped system that was a full kit that included the balasts and bulbs/wiring. It it supposed to be a plug and play system but it is did not work like that for me. I plugged the kit into the factory wiring to the bulbs and then ran wiring to the balasts and put the battory back on but nothing worked. i unplugged the kit and put in the new system and they worked fine so I dont think it is a burnt fuse. I plugged back the kit and tried it again and it did not work. In the manual it said something along the lines that if your headlamps have a fuse box you should install a 20 fuse, my vette runns a 10 and I am not sure if this is the cause of the the problem. I am going to try to put a 20 in and see if it will work. Any advice would be greatly appreicated. Thanks In Advance, Jack
This is the kit I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36476&item=7965770600&rd=1

·
Registered
518 Posts
Did you try it with the lights in both the high and low beam positions? HID's act funny in that regard. Personally, I did change the fuses with mine...just for safety.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nocturne said:
If the kit is a true HID, and not just Xenon HID-like bulbs - then your fuse wont be a problem. True HID's use far less wattage then conventional bulbs, so whatever your fuse is it should be higher then what you need.
Actually, the HID's pull lots of amps (>15, <20) when the ballasts "fire" them off. Once they're lit and up to temp, they use less wattage than Halogens. I installed a set of HID's on my '01 coupe when I had it, I had a phillips kit that really was plug and play. You do have to switch the fuses though, the ballasts will pop the 15A's but not the 20's.

Not sure what could be wrong with your setup. One time I had a set of ballasts off one car and when I reinstalled them, I hooked up the stock headlight plug to the ballast upsidedown. I know it's not likely, but check stupid stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
BBaxR6 said:
Actually, the HID's pull lots of amps (>15, <20) when the ballasts "fire" them off. Once they're lit and up to temp, they use less wattage than Halogens. I installed a set of HID's on my '01 coupe when I had it, I had a phillips kit that really was plug and play. You do have to switch the fuses though, the ballasts will pop the 15A's but not the 20's.

Not sure what could be wrong with your setup. One time I had a set of ballasts off one car and when I reinstalled them, I hooked up the stock headlight plug to the ballast upsidedown. I know it's not likely, but check stupid stuff like that.
I have mine in. Make sure all of the connections are plugged in GOOD. 1 side of mine didn't work at 1st & would have sworn I plugged them in good. I also didn't have to change any fuses..Call the supplier & maybe they can help. Good luck!
Ron

·
Registered
236 Posts
BBaxR6 said:

Actually they don't, if you are using a Gen-II or higher ballast as all new ones should be. The Gen-II+ ballasts use a capacitor primer with a resisted load. They draw a low amount of current over a period of time to charge the caps, then flood the ballast off the caps.

This can easilly be tested by using a meter.

---

As far as Blackjacks problem it could be related to the power-on relay. I seem to remember some HID's having relay problems where turn-on power wouldn't trip the relay to make the ballasts fire - specifically on corvettes. It was something to do with the current draw from the popup headlight motors.

Some HID vendors had a cabling fix that solved the problem. Not sure is this is your problem, as I have never personally seen it happen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 8000k HID kit in my Z,plug and play and while we were installing the kit the fuse blew a few times.It would only happen if I turned the headlights on without the motor running.The headlights can be up in the park mode and the fuse wouldn't blow.As long as she's running with the headlights on-No blown fuse.I have to check my directions about that 20 amp fuse.I'd be a little leary about putting a bigger fuse than what is called for though-might cause an electrical fire.But if your directions say to change it,its probably OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts