Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from practicing my u-turns :sneaky: First off let me describe to you the scene. This was on a long 4 way road on the way home from my fiance's house and there was absolutely no cars in sight. Before I attempted the act, I made sure there was no one around. The median in between is grass and there is a curb but i made sure that it was small and slanted to prevent any damage if I were to hit it. Well, after 4 attempts, I must say I still dont know how to get the backend to kick out and then be able to bring it back in-line smoothly. I did it twice in comp mode and the back end kicked out quite a bit and it seemed smooth, but I have a problem with computer aid kicking in and preventing me from actually practicing my driving skills. I tried it again with everything turned off and the back end kicked out a lot but it seemed like the outside tire grabbed hold of the road and it kinda threw me into the median. All this happened really fast. Kinda felt like doing a burn out and then the tires finally hooking up and launching you forward. The next time I didnt apply enough gas and the back kicked out very little. Fun factor < 3 :(

How do you guys do it. I used to have a Z28 and it was soo easy to get the back out and bring it in. It was lots of fun. Should I be trying this maneuver in 2nd instead of 1st:-?

Any feedback much appreciated :z:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discalimer: DO NOT TRY THIS, its dangerous.

Try this with comp on so if it gets too hairy, you have some safety arrier...

Give it a good amount of juice, maybe 60-70% then back off slightly and hold it (until you are going straight).. to maybe 30-40%. Train your foot(brain) to do that. You are probably holding onto the power too long causing the tires to lose grip, thus flying the car around. By giving it the jolt of power in the beginning it gets the car rotating by letting the rear wheels slip, then by kicking back on the throttle, you let the tires regain traction which helps you control the attitude of the car and go straight..

Be careful, and be smart about it. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips, but while I was trying it, I thought I was pretty much doing theses things. The problem is that as I am letting up on the throttle to about 40%, the F1's are actually hooking up while the car is still sideways, shooting me forwards towards the median. Are these cars just not setup to do this, I think possibly the suspension might be to good.

No Dislcaimers necessary unless you really want to, I only practice these maneuvers when I am 100% sure there is no danger to others and myself.

·
21,351 Posts
Independent rears do tend to hook up pretty good in the turns, that's why they use em on race cars. Every time I've seen one of these cars get sideways, it usually winds up in disaster.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I am hanging it out, I run TC/AH off.

If it's warm and tires are sticky I'll have to slide the clutch a bit to get the rev's up to be certain both tires break loose, then it's all about modulating throttle to keep the tires slipping.

The hardest part with the Z compared to other cars is that the extra weight in the rear acts as a pendulum, so too much forward speed before turn in and the back end wants to come all the way around.

For a really tight 180, just get her rolling 1-2 mph, then slide the clutch as you rev to about 3K, release the clutch and once the tires are spinning then cut the wheel and around you go.

I've gotten it down to where I can do a figure 8 in just over 2 car lengths, by lifting and reapplying throttle just as I cut from lock to lock at the crossover point.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You would be a lot better off doing this in an empty parking lot with the owners permission. You might also save yourself some rubber if you are able to wet down the surface.

The other option that I would highly recommend is to do a driving school.

It is one thing to risk your own safety, health and well being. It is quite another to put someone elses' safety health and well being at risk because you didn't want to ante up for the right driving school, where you can learn and practice this in relative safety.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is one thing to risk your own safety, health and well being. It is quite another to put someone elses' at risk because you might not know how to prioritize or too cheap to ante up for the right driving school where you can learn and practice this in relative safety.
:roll: Ahhh, I didnt quite know how to take your comment, first you hint at that I'm irresponsible then you call me cheap.

I guess you must not have read my first post. I was alone with noone around, I would not have done this with another person in the car. I autoX every chance I get, which so far has not been that much,but I am able to take the car to its limits and handle the car through very tight turns. When you are being timed you really dont want to make the tail go out cause you loose time. So as far as this is concerned, I dont have much practice. I dont need to pay somone $3000 to learn how to get the side out thank you very much.

Dont know why I have to explain myself again... :-?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well I am sure it would not make any difference or sense to you to imagine it is your fiance in the car going down the road and some yayhoo in a high powered car loses it during a "fun run" and crashes into her, kills or paralysizes her for life?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Come on up here to Pa. We have snow all over the place right now. We'll find an empty parking lot and go out learn how to do this at really low speeds and have the feeling of high speeds. Just kidding of course but my father made me do this sort of thing went I was learnig to drive and I will say that it really did work. that was a long time ago and things have changed. Most likely end up in jail if I did this today.

Tony #54

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am sure it would not make any difference or sense to you to imagine it is your fiance in the car going down the road and some yayhoo in a high powered car loses it during a "fun run" and crashes into her, kills or paralysizes her for life?
I does make sense to me to imagine that,

but I cannot possibly control what other testosterone filled guys driving high powered cars do. All I can do is control my actions and what I do, and I know I did the right thing by practicing late at night with no traffic what so ever by myself.

No offense but if you have a problem with what I am doing, maybe you should go read a different thread.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Come on up here to Pa. We have snow all over the place right now. We'll find an empty parking lot and go out learn how to do this at really low speeds and have the feeling of high speeds. Just kidding of course but my father made me do this sort of thing went I was learnig to drive and I will say that it really did work. that was a long time ago and things have changed. Most likely end up in jail if I did this today.
haha, Trying this in the snow would be something I would not want to try. I will stay down hear in Sunny Florida where the weather is warm...thanks though :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
DavidGP said:
I does make sense to me to imagine that,

but I cannot possibly control what other testosterone filled guys driving high powered cars do. All I can do is control my actions and what I do, and I know I did the right thing by practicing late at night with no traffic what so ever by myself.

No offense but if you have a problem with what I am doing, maybe you should go read a different thread.

I don't have a problem with WHAT you are doing at all. If you read my post, WHERE is the issue. And you are right you can not control what testosterone filled guys driving high powered cars do.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have a problem with WHAT you are doing at all. If you read my post, WHERE is the issue. And you are right you can not control what testosterone filled guys driving high powered cars do.
The only problem with a parking lot is that at least where I live, they all have light poles in the middle so the odds off spinning out and hitting a pole or a parking curb is very likely, but I will take your advise and consideration next time I am out practicing this maneuver. :z:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I DON'T ADVISE TRYING THIS. BUT IF YOU MUST:

Leave yourself plenty of room when practicing. (Run off space in case you spin...) Also, be concious of the surface and incline of the pavement you are on. IF you try this down hill, that "pendulum" effect can bite you in the arse. IF you try it up hill, gravity can save you, minimizing the swinging of the rear.

You steering inputs and throttle modulation must be smooth as butter!!
Lifting too quickly off the gas pedal can be BAD NEWS.. This can induce a phenomenon known as LIFT THROTTLE OVERSTEER, which will unsettle the rear end beyond control.

A good way to practice is to click the traction control button once leaving COMP mode on to save you as mentioned above.
Start practicing when making right hand turns so that you see the direction you are drifting in. As metioned above use 60-70 gas, and don't try to OVER CUT the wheel.. This will make you overswing the backend, making it very hard to catch, and inducing traction control.

I like to keep the throttle on, and gradually accelerate through the drift as the pendulum effect diminishes, shifting to the next gear causing some more ass end dancing.. Again, leave run off space!!

Make sure NO CARS ARE COMING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. SOME MAY THINK YOU ARE OUT OF CONTROL, SO BE CONCIOUS OF THIS...

LASTLY: WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE IT DOWN, REMEMBER YOU REALLY DON'T... THIS IS A SKILL THAT TAKES LOTS OF PRACTICE AND CAR CONTROL... IT CAN ALSO TOTAL YOUR TOY, AND INJUR YOU EASILY, SO BE CAREFUL.

Happy motoring,

G

G

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
DavidGP said:
I just got back from practicing my u-turns :sneaky: First off let me describe to you the scene. This was on a long 4 way road on the way home from my fiance's house and there was absolutely no cars in sight. Before I attempted the act, I made sure there was no one around. The median in between is grass and there is a curb but i made sure that it was small and slanted to prevent any damage if I were to hit it. Well, after 4 attempts, I must say I still dont know how to get the backend to kick out and then be able to bring it back in-line smoothly. I did it twice in comp mode and the back end kicked out quite a bit and it seemed smooth, but I have a problem with computer aid kicking in and preventing me from actually practicing my driving skills. I tried it again with everything turned off and the back end kicked out a lot but it seemed like the outside tire grabbed hold of the road and it kinda threw me into the median. All this happened really fast. Kinda felt like doing a burn out and then the tires finally hooking up and launching you forward. The next time I didnt apply enough gas and the back kicked out very little. Fun factor < 3 :(

How do you guys do it. I used to have a Z28 and it was soo easy to get the back out and bring it in. It was lots of fun. Should I be trying this maneuver in 2nd instead of 1st:-?

Any feedback much appreciated :z:
Im sorry, but I dont know for sure what you're trying to do, is it a Fishtail, thats what I call when you spin your tires and swing the car in and out, or is it complete drifting, or is a donut.

If its Fishtailing I can say a few things about it because my car is half its time doing so, It is a hard one too, nothing like my mustang, mostly because the Z06s suspension and weight distrubution dont allow it, the heavier nose front cars the easier, ours are opposite, but NOT impossible, It took me a while to get a hang of it, when I first bought the car I was used to my mustangs second gear Fishtails, and the Z06 had the power for it but it was harder to control, so I would do it best in 1st gear from a 5-10 mph turn, then as I got bored of 1st gear I jumped back on 2nd and now it all comes to me, actually its starting to be so fun it seems like the car is getting better at it :guiness: If its not what your talking about disregard my stupid post, BTW, my outside does the same thing your talking about, I think thats my posing fading away slowing but shorly :cry:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im sorry, but I dont know for sure what you're trying to do, is it a Fishtail, thats what I call when you spin your tires and swing the car in and out, or is it complete drifting, or is a donut.
I guess as you describe it "Fishtail". But I start off going one way down the street and then doing a u-turn in the middle of the street to go the other direction and hitting the gas as I am making the u-turn to bring the ass end out and then bring it back inline as I am accelerating forward. I end up just going back and forth, back and forth down one small section of the road. I wouldnt call it a fishtail though, it might have different meanings to different people. Definitely not drifting and not a donut.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when I first bought the car I was used to my mustangs second gear Fishtails, and the Z06 had the power for it but it was harder to control, so I would do it best in 1st gear from a 5-10 mph turn, then as I got bored of 1st gear I jumped back on 2nd and now it all comes to me, actually its starting to be so fun it seems like the car is getting better at it
Thats exactly what I am trying to do. In my Camaro Z28 it was soo easy. Now I am having difficulty in the ZO6. Its a very slow turn under 10 mph.

Are you leaving the TC/AH on, comp mode? The outside tire is hooking up midway throught the swinging process and when it hooks up I am usually pointed in the wrong direction. This is just the Limited Slip doing its thing, I think I am letting off the gas too quickly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How ever you decide to do your turns ....on the track,in your back yard or on the public highway matters not to me. Learn to do it with all computer help turned off. In the end you are going tobe faster than your computers. The learning cruve may be a bit steep at first but in the long run you will be a better driver for it. In closing .take it slow at first and build to it.

Tony #54

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
DavidGP said:
Thats exactly what I am trying to do. In my Camaro Z28 it was soo easy. Now I am having difficulty in the ZO6. Its a very slow turn under 10 mph.

Are you leaving the TC/AH on, comp mode? The outside tire is hooking up midway throught the swinging process and when it hooks up I am usually pointed in the wrong direction. This is just the Limited Slip doing its thing, I think I am letting off the gas too quickly.

OK, whatever you're trying to do IS FUN and you're being safe so no problem, thats what the car is for(almost), I can tell you that Its sort of my thing to jump in a High performance car and get it SIDEWAYS everywhere I get a chance,not bragging thats what I do(BTW the vette is the hardest for that excluding a 911 and everyone knows that), I get the Z sideways coming out of everyturn :pp: and I heard others talk about leaving comp on, to me thats impossible because your AH will always come on when you try to do that, EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE OFF, If anyone is scared to do it with it off then they might as well NOT try it and just cruise which is always a good choice. So have fun

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
ruking1 said:
Are you gay? Not that theres anything wrong with that.

Zed

1 - 20 of 34 Posts