Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of the 2001 Z06 owners that needed new rings at 9,900 miles, but still used 3 quarts of oil over the next 2,700 miles. I even kept it below 3,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles. GM has offered to supply a "partial" new engine from the factory, but my mechanic will have to use some of my existing parts & re-assemble the engine when it reaches the dealership. This doesn't sound like a great idea to me! GM wasn't even sure how long I will have to wait to get it delivered from the factory. Could anyone explain any disadvantages of getting a "partial" engine from the factory, instead of a completely assembled one? I really need some help on this one!
Thanks,
Bob E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I replied to this on the CF. Basically, what they're proposing makes sense to me. If the ring job didn't fix oil consumption, then they're probably looking at resurfacing (boring and/or honing) the cylinder walls. Now that's a lot of work, and it's cheaper for them to replace the block. On the other hand, there are a lot of parts on the 'old' engine that are still fine .. intake, heads, etc. so not really any need to replace them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim & Jerry--
Thanks for your replies. First, GM has refused to buyback my car & they are refusing to even give any timeframe when the block will be available & I have a hearing scheduled with the Calif. BBB for Nov. 15th. Has anyone have info on these BBB hearings?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Something is wrong

Hi,
My feeling on this is that it is assembly of the engine that is the issue here, not the rings.
I can tell you from experience, that all the ring jobs that I have advised on, and done, all have repaired the condition. Ring positioning, usage, and installation are critical.
I think that the assembly is the error here. I am sorry to say that, but it is the only thing that I can come up with, given your problems, and what has occured.
Sorry for all you trouble, c4c5

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Take the partial engine, and get a set of heads and a cam. make sure they go in while the engine is apart (sneak in at night if you have to) :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
need help

Befor you have any more major engine repairs have your mechanic replace the cover that sits under the intake. the LS6 engine dosen't use a PCV valve it has a oil separator bult into this cover. The seal that is between the separator and the cover breaks and drinks oil like i drink beer on friday nights. This is probably your problem. let me know how it turns out

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At this point it is mute, because it look like GM & I will be going to a BBB hearing. I never heard of VetteDoctor's theory, does anyone have knowledge of this?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you go to a BBB hearing, which I gather is a quasi-legal procedure, be sure to go with a lawyer that has experience in such hearings. Going without one assures that you will be screwed. I normally don't like to get involved with lawyers, but in this case I wouldn't be without one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim Green--
So far, I haven't had anyone recommend a good Calif Lemon Law attorney, as I live in So. Calif.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Going through the yellow pages is not the best way to find a good lawyer, but any lawyer is better than no lawyer in your situation. Do you have any friends or associates who are lawyers who could point you toward a lawyer in this general area of specialty, who you could then call and ask for a specific referral to someone familiar with BBB cases? If you go into the BBB hearing by yourself, you may be screwed before you even know what's happened. Not a place to be your own lawyer. It may cost you $100 or so, but if you get a good outcome it will be well worth it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was service mgr. at a chev.& import dealership for over 10 years .Have been to 2 BBB hearings and the customer always wins.You dont need a lawyer.Just explain your case.Be sure to tell them this vehicle is not just transportation but also an investment:z:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Run the Car!

Reading your posts I see the under 3000 rpm break in and IMHO, this could lead to your oil consumption. The rings have to seat against the cylinder wall early in the process or the car will use oil. Gentle, conservative use on a new engine allows a build up of deposits and the rings never seat. Others here espouse the theory of "drive it like you stole it." In the case of a new engine I agree.

With respect to engine/chassis numbers,when is the last time you bought a used car and checked the numbers? What I think you want/need here is a car that runs well with reasonable oil consumption. If that takes a new engine, then get it. I think some Z06 owners are caught up in the days when Z06 meant less than 200 vehicles sold to a select set of insiders. In that case the numbers were everything! That won't be the case when production is more than 5500 cars per year. Get the car fixed and drive it like you stole it!! Z06Y Lady :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Breaking in a new engine by "driving it like you stole it" is BULLSHIT ..The best way to seat the rings is to vary the engine RPM and build cyl. pressure. Also would you rather buy a used Vette with a replacement engine or the orginal one.....Just ask the owner of a 67 435hp 427:(

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Ace in the hole

IF, the BBB meeting doesn't get the job done, check the "Magnusson-Moss Act".......it is a Federal law, and is way more in favor of end users.............

·
Registered
27 Posts
ring replacement

hey guys the ring replacement dosen't requier any breakin. When the rings are replaced for oil consumption the second compression ring and the expander are the only rings replaced. The cylinder walls are not to be honed eather.I have replaced rings and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
vettemaster

Sounds good.......only problem is EVERY one is doing differently.........

I have spoken with at LEAST 3 guy's that have had this done, and explained the GM Tech Bulletin, on how and what was supposed to be done........(As you say).

They told me, their cars were(DID) getting ALL rings replaced..........ALL.............

Also, have heard anecdotes that some of the replacements, are NO BETTER than before they were re-ringed............

I would be willing to venture a wild guess, that THIS may be WHY........

No cylinder prep, and ALL new rings........what say ye?????:(

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
Vettemaster is on his game, as usual.
NO, all rings are not replace, and there is no breakin.
Those who claim that this doesnot fix the oil issue, are probably not doing the job correctly, plain and simple.
Now over 20 jobs on my end, and every one is above 1 qt in 2600 miles.
Besttoall, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
c4

With all due respect.....and I do respect folks that are in the bidness..........
YOU are having sucess, doesn't mean EVERYONE is......
Also, because YOU did 20 jobs correctly, doesn't mean EVERYONE else is/has.........
And there is no way you can make a blanket statememnt saying that EVERYONE is just using the two rings...........unless you are there.......
BTW, where are you located, IF mine needs the fix........I want you to do it................:D
IF I could get a little support here, from other rosterfarians that have heard the same things I have it would be appreciated.........
I KNOW how it's specified to be done, but we all know Mr. Murphy..............
Otherwise, I will put a plug in it, lick my wounds, and go to the appropraite dog house..........:lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts