Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on here, I just bought a 2003 Z06 with a Magnuson i/c as well as many other mods. I love the car but when I bought the car about 3 weeks ago I noticed the serpentine belt was one notch off and one row was completely gone. I replaced with a new belt and after 300 miles the new belt is doing the same thing. I am on my third belt now, is this a problem that has happened to others, or do I have a pully that is a little off? Any help would be great. Also what type of belt should I use, now i'm using gates.

Thanks,
Daren

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If the belt refusing to ride dead-center, you have an alignment issue. One of the pulleys needs to be shimmed. Figuring out which one may prove to be problematic, but that's probably the way you'll need to go.

The superchargers add quite a bit of drag to the drive belt system. This makes the belt system susceptible to a phenomena called "reflected inertia". Under sudden decelleration, the "pull" on the belt changes direction and the belt's slack moves to the side of the crank pulley opposite the tensioner. In this situation, the tensioner becomes substantially less effective and the belt can jump the pulleys.

However, this is probably not your problem, since when it happens (twice now to me with my Vortech), the belt jumps completely off the pulleys and gets shredded almost instantly. The first thing you notice is no Power Steering, followed shortly by "service engine", then increasing coolant temperatures and finally "reduced power" mode.

I'm going to put an Meirze electric water pump on the car when I replace the belt. That way, at least, if it happens again I can still drive the car.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hey something like this happened to me. The harmonic balancer was actually backing off the main crank. Not sure that's your problem but could be a something similar like another pully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
on the maggies you have to pin the crank and if the guy that did it didnt use the new supplied bolts it is likely that it is backing off i have done many of these kits and it is a real pain to get that bolt as tight as it is suppose to be. hopes this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts