Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually hoped someone already had done this up top (as DJ had some great write ups) but didn't see anything.

Want to know how to tune in the shocks (rebound) for the following:

Initial Starting Points - Front and Rear

Track (VIR), Street, and Autocross

Based on certain handling traits how do I adjust accordingly??

For Example:
Planting power
Better Turn-in, too much understeer or oversteer
Better Braking, Late Braking..
Etc..

I know with DA's you have more control but mine are set at pretty near full stiff (by Guy Ankeny) valving so I think for a Road Track I am mostly there.

Thanks for any help.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rebound.

Compression valving is set without any adjustment at 200psi currently. I can adjust with some nitrogen though if needed but this obviously isn't a real easy adjustment turn a knob thing.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You can adjust the Nitrogen pressure if you have the valve from Penske.

As to Rebound:
All cars are different and all tracks are different. That being said we found very little necessary after the initial set up and final tweak. The SA's should be very similar to the DA's so I will base the answer on my DA experience. We also found that the handling characteristics were very linear from low speed AutoX to high speed track and low to fast shaft speeds. This could be affected by valving somewhat.

If you look at the bottom of the shocks you will see a window or keyhole with a nut in it. This is the adjuster nut for rebound. An allen wrench is inserted in the holes on the nut faces. The top of the window is marked: " +/- " . This indicates the adjustment direction of "sweep(s)" that the allen trverses the window. You should count the number of sweeps from closed to open (+/-). It should be around 28 sweeps. DO NOT UNWIND IT ALL THE WAY OUT.

To start, I would set the number mid range, at 14 sweeps.

We then tested the car and found we needed more front turn in and grip (needed more rebound) and increased the number of sweeps from 14 to 21 +. We then noticed a small "bounce" in the rear of the car during hard acceleration and braking (too much rebound) so we reduced the rebound from 14 to 9 -.

You should find a similar balance to be quite capable both on the track, street or AutoX.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch. Will try this weekend at Road Atlanta.

They feel great on the ride home. Much stiffer and much less body roll.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts