Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my trunk lid I have some water spots that I just can't get out. Any ideas ? I know everyone here is zaino fanatics and I love the stuff too, but I would prefer answers other than the clay bar as I already purchased zaino products recently (no clay bar) and I don't want to wait on another order. Any household product or local parts store remedies ?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Vinegar is said to be effective on water spots. If they're under a coat of zaino, you may have to strip the Zaino to get rid of them.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
MOUNTAINWOLF said:
On my trunk lid I have some water spots that I just can't get out. Any ideas ? I know everyone here is zaino fanatics and I love the stuff too, but I would prefer answers other than the clay bar as I already purchased zaino products recently (no clay bar) and I don't want to wait on another order. Any household product or local parts store remedies ?
You should be able to get a clay bar from someone else in a local parts store. Try pepboys or something. I know Mother's makes a clay bar.

And, all the clay bars are pretty much the same, you'll be fine with the one you get.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Jerry Velders said:
Vinegar is said to be effective on water spots. If they're under a coat of zaino, you may have to strip the Zaino to get rid of them.
Expanding on what Jerry said, first try diluted WHITE Vinegar (50/50). If that doesn't do it, work your way up to 100%.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Pure vinegar didn't have much impact on my last go-round with water spots..

I now have more coats of Z-2 down, so we'll see how that goes. Initial spots have come off fairly easily with Z-6, but not all water spots are equal..

My weather forecast calls for two days of clouds followed by 10+ days of rain. I want to daily drive the Z, but these water spots are are a bear!

My Grandmother tells me that my Great Grandfather worked at a cement plant. The cars would get covered in cement dust. So everyone would regularly wipe their paint down with hydrochloric acid to remove :eek:

A 'live' puddle containing cement is one of the nastier things you can get on your paint. And in that case, acid probably is better than rubbing compound (but not sure about clear coat).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man this really sux ! I've been working on these spots tonight to no avail. Diluted vinegar then pure vinegar did nothing except highlight the edges of the spots. I rubbed pretty strong & the areas became sticky but spots are still there. I guess I will have to get the clay bar. Serenity now ! Serenity now !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Meguiars makes a clay bar too. Check with any auto parts stores that sell Meguiar's products. Those water spots are are iether acid rain (the water evaporates and leaves the chemicals behind causing the spots) or Hard water (alkline). To avoid them it doesn't matter if your Z gets wet as long as you don't let it spot dry. Use a spray detailer (Meguiar's Final Inspection) after driving in rain to wipe off the water. I hope this helps for the future.;)
Ed G.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Bringing this back to life.

Mountainwolf, any resolution? I still have em badly on my trunklid. I even tried straight Windex w/Vinegar :eek:. NOTHING.

Where I used to live I had a stupid old bitch that lived above me that got INFURIATED when I would not stop bbq'ing (smoke was coming in her windows, I said shut yer fucking window, to no avail. Ironically, we lived right next to Dulles Airport and when the big birds would take off, you could smell aviation exhaust, which to me would be much more unpleasant than a few of the Midwest's finest cooking on the barbie).....uh, where was I?

Oh yes, waterspots. I think the bitch may have used some chemicals to clean her deck above my car and dripped it on my decklid..........

If anyone has success in removing, speak up!

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Ok, I just tried it. Actually, mine was called Goo Remover. Paint overspray remover, bug and tar, etc......

NOTHING. Well, except smelling up the whole garage with toxic fumes :)

Oh well, it was worth a try.........

JC

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Wd 40 works too. Spray some onto a cotton cloth and wipe over the area until gone. Then protect with Zaino afterwards. Good luck. Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Ok, here's the toughest known to Autodom.......bird poop..........

Is there ANYTHING one can do to get this out of a finish once SET???.

I think these litttle suckers EAT Sulphuric acid for water..........

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
3M...

When I have a scratch that I can't remove with Zaino filler, or a water spot that will not come off, I go to the abrasive 3M products. Although they are abrasive, they do it very gradually. I have used the following:

3M Professional Formula Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound Fine Cut (Part No. 051131 -39002)

It seems very gentle yet if you use it enough, it will remove scratches and water spots.

Good Luck.

- Charley

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'd try a clay bar before going to a chemical agent.. Try your local car store they should have a clay bar by some brand..Good Luck

1 - 20 of 40 Posts