Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my z06, on may 15, and it had new synchronizers and clutch installed, now the car grinds into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, I cannot figure out why it is doing this? anyone have any ideas, transmission has less than 2000 miles on it since rebuild?????

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I purchased my z06, on may 15, and it had new synchronizers and clutch installed, now the car grinds into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, under high rpms, and again first thing when it is started just putting it into first, I cannot figure out why it is doing this? anyone have any ideas, transmission has less than 2000 miles on it since rebuild????? maybe something out of adjustment I cont know????

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging fully. Keep the clutch pedal depressed for 10 seconds then try to shift into reverse. If it grinds, your clutch disc isn't disengaging for some reason.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i done that held clutch in for 10 seconds, and put it in reverse it went right in? any other thoughts??

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
you might check the fluid level and find out what kind of tranny fluid they put in

·
21,386 Posts
Since you passed the "reverse test", perhaps the tranny fluid wasn't replaced with the proper weight oil. The transmissions use ATF which is very light weight oil. If someone mistakingly added something like 90 weight gear oil (like was used in the old days) that could be the cause of your grinding problem because the synchros will not allow meshing of the gears as quickly.

You will need to get the car on the lift, remove the drain plug, actually just crack it and let a little run out. If it's pink, then it's ATF and you might have other issues. If it's some other color such as brown or purple and feels thick, then it's gear oil. Have that stuff completely removed and have ATF put in. Then take two aspirins and call me in the morning! :lol:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Dr. Jub Jub :D

Wasn't that take many beers then two aspirins in the morning then call me :lol:

Rob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i could not wait till tomorrow, i went to my local super lube and checked it myself it is dark brown, 80 or 90 weight is there thoughts, If I drain this from the rear trans axle does this also drain from transmission? then just fill it all with pink atf think this could fix my problem?????

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i will know something tomorrow it is going to the trans. shop to drain fluch and fill with atf hopefully this is all it needs????????

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good luck!!

burnin red said:
well i will know something tomorrow it is going to the trans. shop to drain fluch and fill with atf hopefully this is all it needs????????
Look at that quick pick up by jub jub, et al... Fingers are crossed that you found the solution.. These Z06 dudes rock.. :jammin:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Can you find out who did the install of the new parts? Is there a warranty still in place? Maybe check with the installer.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
burnin red said:
i could not wait till tomorrow, i went to my local super lube and checked it myself it is dark brown, 80 or 90 weight is there thoughts, If I drain this from the rear trans axle does this also drain from transmission? then just fill it all with pink atf think this could fix my problem?????
You do not drain the trans from the rear end !

Rob

·
Registered
881 Posts
Rob1Vet said:
You do not drain the trans from the rear end !

Rob
What Rob said. It sounds like you drained the differential. Our cars do not have a trans-axle. The differential is separate from the transmission and contains different lubricant.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes, i found out that they are seperate ( I am still learning) but I dropped off car yesterday at my local transmission shop. they said the fluids are fine, the mounts are fine, everything exterior looks fine? I guess I will take it back to the shop that replaced the transmission and see what they will do, my mechanic here seems to think with everything being new it may just be clutch adjustment or something wrong when they put the new clutch in with the new syncronisers. Has anyone heard of a LUK clutch? is it good? anyone else had these problems?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts