Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the deal, my dad and I were going to dinner in seperate corvettes (his 94, my Z06). We're at a light, and take off quickly (or rather my dad eggs me on a bit), but neither of us spins the tires. Shifted into 2nd gear short.

Neither of us was racing, we were goofing around. Sure I'll admit I was speeding, goto traffic school, etc. But heres the rub.

THEY FUCKING SEIZED BOTH CARS FOR THIRTY DAYS

Anyway, so I NEED advice on how to find a lawyer to fight this shit.

Any help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Wow, :eek: That seems rather excessive... I don't think the punishment fits the situation. :-? Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep. I need one bad.

At least the tow truck people was a 1 man operation and he was looking at buying a Z06 the other day.

Its going to be kept inside and what not.

advice: DO NOT FUCK AROUND IN THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Mike: I'm real sorry to hear of this :bs: :bs: :bs: !!!

Sounds like Officer hero is bucking to get the set of steak knives for the citation of the week? :mad:

I'll bet they don't grow cops like that in New Mexico. When did you move? Best of luck Bro.... ;)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JTBear said:
Mike: I'm real sorry to hear of this :bs: :bs: :bs: !!!

Sounds like Officer hero is bucking to get the set of steak knives for the citation of the week? :mad:

I'll bet they don't grow cops like that in New Mexico. When did you move? Best of luck Bro.... ;)
Came back to CA for christmas and to take care of some stuff. I'm pretty much homeless right now while I'm trying to find a job (this is gonna be good, "I can't make it to the interview as my car was impounded for goofing around with my dad")

I was planning on heading back there soon. Now I'm going to leave and never come back.

I hate fucking california

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
That Blows M! wish there was something to do to help you out. :(

Dan

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mike

For a Communist state, this is what I would expect..........

This, instead of a bad thing, take as a sign.......OMEN,,,,,,,,,,

YOU DO NOT WANT TO LIVE THERE..................

It's beautiful, but......so was Delilah..................

Get out, and stay away...............

I can think of NO reason to ever live in that neo-nazi state.......

Simple tickets for "Contest of speed", would have been EXCESSIVE, but at least you could swallow that...........

Seizure of vehicles.............typical for the Kalifornia Gestapo......:mad:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sorry Mike,

If you can use any help, some of my buds and I can come down there.

Hoping you get them out before 30 days,

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
soon as I have my car back, i'm leaving this fucking state

jesus

What I really need is advice on how to find a lawyer.

This is such a racket.

Towing company gets $70 for the tow, and $20/day for storage.
Thats $670, THEN you have to give the cops $125 to release the fucking car. Then the court date isn't UNTIL MARCH. Then the fine for "speed contest" is $355-$1000. So the city gets close to $500, and they enrichen the tow company but almost $700.

Wtf, it wasn't a contest. a new Z06, vs a tired LT1 (every time I drvie dad's car I give him a hard time about hwo slow it is and he was AHEAD by 2 car lengths).

The cops were just being assholes, saw a nice car and wanted to brag out how they fucked a couple of guys with corvettes.

One of the cops asked me if I was a student?! Wtf, are they assuming I'm some spoiled little rich kid whose dad bought him a fast car?

I am so unbelievably pissed off.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
That's incredible! They take your car for speeding. Is that common in California? And to think how pissed I was when I got my last $15.00 parking ticket.:-?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Mike,

I am on your side on this one. Think you pissed someone off in a prior life. Anyhow give me some details on where it happened. I have many cop friends lets see if it was somewhere where I have some clout.

JOHN

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JWilson said:
Hey Mike,

I am on your side on this one. Think you pissed someone off in a prior life. Anyhow give me some details on where it happened. I have many cop friends lets see if it was somewhere where I have some clout.

JOHN
Fresno, CA

I'm beginning to think I did. Pisses me off that they said we were doing 70, when I barely touched 50.

Thanks, I appreciate any help GREATLY

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry buddy that is a little to far north for any conections that I have. So Cal is where my "Friends" work.

Good luck,
JOHN

·
Registered
670 Posts
What did they write you up for? Exhibition of speed or speeding or both? Did you ask to see the radar? What was the "posted" speed limit?

Sounds like Fresno SUCKS! I've never heard of a city impounding a vehicle unless it was involved in a felony OR there is a city ordinance that states this.

I'll ask around and see what some of my police buddies say.

Sorry about the misfortune but this is a bunch of :bs: !!

Ps. I know most people hate CA but this one sounds more like a f***'d up town... I'll be sure to avoid the area.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Remind me never to visit California.:bs:

Sounds like the cop had a burr up his ass and you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hope you get things sorted out soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Truth is on this if you 20 over the posted speed the authorities have the right to impound your vehicle. Most don't but the vehicle code allows this. As for the 30 day impound I imagine if you could push up your court date you may be able to get it out before the 30 days. Any way you look at it your going to have to pay out the ass on something that most guys do every day.

JOHN

·
Registered
670 Posts
JWilson probably knows more about this than myself... but according to the California Vehicle Code:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/veh/23100-23135.html

It seems they can only impound your car if you don't have a valid CA Drivers License, Registration or Proof of Insurance OR you are found guilty of Reckless driving (there are a few others). Again, local law can override these but must meet certain conditions.

God I hate laws!

I don't know all the details but maybe the link above can give you some insight and what your rights are.

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
hmmmm, wonder if that cop lost his wife or girlfriend to a guy who has a 'vette? Just a thought...

If I had to witness my baby being towed and impounded for 30 days I think I'd puke :puke: and then cry :cry: and finaly drown my sorrows :guiness:

best of luck to you pal, my car being impounded by Northern Ohio winters doesn't seem all that bad in comparison.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts