Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nice evening alone planned with my wife last night. We were going to go to a local cruise night/car show and dinner after wards.

Due to some unforeseen changes in the schedule one of our three kids was at home. Great, what do I do now, take the truck and still go, or forget the whole thing?

:idea: Why not put three in the Z? There is plenty of room on the passenger side for my wife
(5'3") and our small 10yr old son. I'm sure it's not 100% safe, but a 56 Chevy with no seat belts isn't safe either and no one would think twice about kids riding in that.

Anyway, I did it. Air bag off and wife in seat belt. Was I wrong?

Bill

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
WV has a lot of country roads, and I was down at a friend's house visiting-they have 2 boys that were going NUTS over the Z06.

So I took them both out for a romp along the hills and country side. In the stingray it was easy to put someone behind the seats, especially when the tops were off.

Guess I was worried more about getting caught than doing it:rofl:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not safe at all, but we all do what we feel is safe and right for that particular moment. Plus who cares now, your home and your family's safe (Z included).

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
Were you wrong? Defintley.

If i were in your place, i would have done the same thing.

Me too! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I have done it also. But worried more about getting caught doing :pp:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If I was going only a few blocks at 25....Maybe..But let me ask you this.Have you ever head butted a windshield?They make seatbelts for 55 Chevys now.I put a set of belts in a 39 Plymouth I had.obviously your home safe,so no harm was done,but I wouldn't make a habit of gambling with a kids life :NoNo:

·
Registered
139 Posts
BajaZ06 said:
Air bag off and wife in seat belt. Was I wrong?
Forgetting the "Nader Nazis" for a moment, my 31 years of vehicle and occupant crash safety for GM says, well sure, of course you were wrong. But, you did the right thing in shutting off the bag, and not putting "two" inside the lap belt portion. And, lots of bad things could have happened in an accident.

But, I'd have done the same thing.
All "fun goodies" in living cannot be protected from all "bad things".
You evaluate the risk vs. reward. Here was certain reward, low risk since you "knew of it".

Wouldn't support it as a habit, though. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Retired GM Engr said:
. . . But, I'd have done the same thing.
Oh my, I am BAD. REALLY BAD. Forgot my standard disclaimer. :roll:

Remember I am retired. The only connection I have to GM is my pension and health insurance (and loyalty). These are my opinions only, and only opinions, not engineering analysis. I am NOT a Registered Professional Engineer, even though I have BSME and 31 years of vehicle and occupant safety experience. I have never testified as an expert witness, only a fact witness. If you think I'm trying to be funny or sarcastic, you have not dealt with trial lawyers. They are not nice or polite. It is not in their job description. And, Google works.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I probably would not have done it. I'm sure you are a fine driver (you have to be to drive a z) - but I have been in three accidents in my life, and every one of them was the other drivers fault. Just because it was their fault however, I still took a lot of injuries. When you make a risky decision like that, remember that you're not gambling with your driving, you’re betting everyone else on the road is safe which is a bet I wouldn’t take with anyone but a consenting adult.

Then again, I also work in the safety field :ity:

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Probably the most dangerous thing that could happen is your 10 year old could end up on your lap if you made an evasive manuver. Around the block, maybe, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it. I have mentioned before that I was part of the investigation into the Pelle Lindbergh (Philadelphia Flyer goalie) Porsche accident. He had three in the front seat of his Turbo Porsche and it was suspected that the passenger fell across into the steering wheel causing loss of control. Of course it didn't help matters that he had been drinking :NoNo:

Joe ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I wouldn't have done it. I'm glad all went well, but God forbid you got crunched by a drunk driver and something happened to your Son. You would NEVER forgive yourself.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
No I wouldn't have done it. Glad it all worked out but in todays "control freak' society I would have to say I wouldn't suggest doing it again...

30 years ago? I would have done it in a heartbeat...but with adults....With my kid? Nope...

Just wouldn't go there..

Hope you don't mind a descenting but honest opinion.

JB

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Of course it's ok... how else do you pick up two chicks from a club at the same time :D With some creative packaging you can fit 3, but the BK harness bar has to be out!

·
Registered
509 Posts
In my professional opinion you placed your son in great danger. I have handled many accident investigations where parents were "securing" their child on their lap in the front seat. As a matter of fact two accidents were fatalities. That is something as a parent I could not live with. We all take risks in life but when it comes to children I like to minimize the odds. Ok enough preaching...I am sure the time spent with your son at the car/cruise night was great!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Obviously I'm feeling a little guilty, that is why I posted in the first place. I don't plan on doing it again.

Not having a back seat is about the only thing I don't like about a Corvette, but this is my 5th one so I guess I've learned to live with it.

Bill

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess that is why they make trucks and SUV's too :) When I have to take more than 1 kid, I drive my SUV. I admit I probably would have done it as well, but depends how far and how busy the streets are. I did take both my girls (7 and 9 and the time) for a quick ride around the block, but I would not venture out of the residential area onto any main streets. I had them both buckle up in the seat belt - air bag off. I know 2 in 1 seat belt isn't so good, but the chances of something happening around our little neighborhood is so small. Still, I haven't done it since and certainly won't make a habit of it. Owned the car for 9 months now, my second vette - I guess I took them both to the park a couple times in my C4 too - again, just in our neighborhood.

Scott
'04 TR Z06
'91 road race vette
'04 Nissan Armada

·
Registered
882 Posts
Better side on being safe than kicking yourself later. :)

I just got home, put on some coals and 2 blocks away there was the skid, thud and a horn stuck on. It is a two lane road, rather safe, but today, someone made a bad decision. :eek2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would never do this again if I were you. It's really not worth the risk of an accident. I say this as someone who
has been in a head on collision with our seatbelts on. Unfortunatley the other car's passengers did not have theirs on and had to be carted away by paramedics while me and my passenger walked away without a scratch. This was not in the Z Btw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts