Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So botom line is the left side head has to come off. My mehcanic thought that since I gotta pay the dough to take the head off why not have them prted and polished. He says he can get me 100 more horsepower while still retaining liability.

Does this sound right

also since he is doing the heads should I also have him do the cam, IE how much more labor is invovled in getting the cam out.

Finally any suggestions on milling numbers or any other specs I should consult with my mechanic about

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

:z:

oh yeah one more Q

so i need to worry about my clutch since, or do you think the stock Z06 clutch will be able to handle the extra ponies

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
100 HP with just head porting would be great and I would love to know how he does it. I would ask to see his work if you haven't already and also request the flow data from his flow bench @28 inch of H2O. Compare his data to published flow data say from AFR and other sources. Also before and after RWHP and Torque data from other customer cars. Notice at what RPM the power occurs and what the HP/Torque graph looks like. Wide power band vs a peaky high RPM band. Also see how fast his peak number fall off after their highest point. Ask if he is going to install larger valves and if so how large and does he plan on installing larger valve seats. The cam combination is very important at this point to work in conjunction with new flow numbers so get the spec's on the cam/valve springs/retainers and compare his data to what the vendors on this site offer and what guys on this site are using successfully. Ask him why he is picking this cam for your engine out of all of the cams to choose from. Head milling will be required if he cleans up your combustion chambers to balance things out and retain your stock CR. You could have more material removed if desired to increase CR.

This guy could be the next Bill Jenkins or Joe Blow from Idaho so check him out before he lays a die grinder on your heads.

I'm sure you have thought of most of this stuff already but just wanted to chime in with my two cents.

D.J.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
30 to 40 HP gain. So with Headers, stock cam, tuning and ported LS6 heads, you should be at 420 RWHP. :cheers:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think the point is that your engine is being opened up and now would be a great time to do some mods.

I would consider what your machanic is offering, but--I would also talk to some of our vendors. You could use his labor and your choice of parts. Now would be a good time for a H/C package and don't forget the timing chain and oil pump. You would be good to go!

CR 10.9 to 11.0 is about the max on pump gas and a daily driver.

As they say in LV, Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
softy91 said:
I think the point is that your engine is being opened up and now would be a great time to do some mods.

I would consider what your machanic is offering, but--I would also talk to some of our vendors. You could use his labor and your choice of parts. Now would be a good time for a H/C package and don't forget the timing chain and oil pump. You would be good to go!

CR 10.9 to 11.0 is about the max on pump gas and a daily driver.

As they say in LV, Good Luck!

yeah i am doin a cam as well

roller rockers valave springs

i had not thought about timing chain and oil pump.

what else ya think i should get

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your other mods are good to go!

If you are really bucks up some more displacement might be nice, but how much is too much?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts