Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Z06 with 8500 miles, and have installed a Vararam, Kooks 1 3/4 headers, hi-flow cats, and X-pipe. Also had the car tuned using HP-Tuners. (Love the way it runs.)

The car has a "safe" tune as it is, but my tuner feels that he can get more out of it if I put in a lower thermostat. Reason being, car does not like the timing advanced, and he says the car will make more power and run more consistent with the lower temps.

I've read where the optimum running temp for the LS6 engine is between 200 - 214 degrees, as this insures the water, and contaminates are burned off.

I noticed my oil temps run between 217 - 230 with a little spirited driving with the stock thermostat. If I install a 178 degree thermostat, will my oil temps still be in that range?
Wouldn't that take care of the contaminates?

I would like to get a little more "SAFE" horsepower, but I don't want to compromise the longevity of the engine.

What would you do if you were me? :roll:

Thanks,

augydog

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your car does not like the advance, one of two things need to be considered.

1.) Your "tuner" has put too much advance for the quality of fuel/octane that you are using in your area.

2.) You need to compensate for this advance.

Running cooler engine temperatures WILL help the "pinging issues" that I assume you are having. But, as in most walks of life, there is a trade-off. Cooler engine temps will increase emissions and most likely decrease overall HP given no other mod's.

My suggestion:

1.) Run an Octane additive, at least short term, to determine if your problems goes away.

2.) Else, have your "tuner" re-evaluate your spark curves. This will likely mean lower numbers on the Dyno, though.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Good luck! :guiness:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts