Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,922 Posts
If you take a jumper on the DLC under the dash to pins 8 and 14
Then with X1 connector off the PCM attach OHM meter to pins 27 and 28 (as I show below)
If that rings out OK then the starbus ring is not a problem

Yes VCIM should be 12 volts but if it plugged into the wiring connector and test above shows OK then
VCIM is not an issue at least answering if the network is open causing the U comm DTCs

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

As to ground splice packs here is where they are located

These take several grounds and inside the pack there is male and female pins

You have to pry them apart to then only see if they have corrupted as I show below

Font Parallel Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

Light Cosmetics Font Auto part Gas

Rectangle Font Gas Wood Metal

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,922 Posts
Also make sure each of those controllers are getting good ground, but also voltage is high enough (around 12.5 V at controllers) test to make sure there is not some issue where there is a voltage drop at the controllers

I hope when you're doing all this that you're using an electronics spray cleaner on all male and female pins and not of them are bent of connectors and splice packs

With the Tech-II try connecting to each controller and see which ones do not respond.

·
Registered
2006 Corvette C6 Z06, 6speed manual, LS7.
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok. On my list now.

I checked the vcim. The wires are not similar to the diagram! And the wires do not connect like the diagram on the J2 BCM connector?
Se pictures of VCIM and connectors.
The 12v and ground are ok..

Attachments

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,922 Posts
If you suspect Onstar/VCIM is at fault as I show below, GMLAN has 2 connections to the GMLAN (high speed)
and if need be at the wiring connector as pins show you could do 2 loop back jumpers to seal the network again

Also, one of your DTCs was ESC, if you do NOT have the Magna-ride then that controller would not exist but if the car has it you also have to check that controller as shown below

Of course if a car had an auto tranny then it also would be in the Starbus of GMLAN

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you suspect Onstar/VCIM is at fault as I show below, GMLAN has 2 connections to the GMLAN (high speed)
and if need be at the wiring connector as pins show you could do 2 loop back jumpers to seal the network again

Also, one of your DTCs was ESC, if you do NOT have the Magna-ride then that controller would not exist but if the car has it you also have to check that controller as shown below

Of course if a car had an auto tranny then it also would be in the Starbus of GMLAN

View attachment 17790
Ok. I do not have automatic transmission or the magnetic ride.

I cannot locate the VCIM in the car?
Where could it be?

Attachments

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,922 Posts
Great information for you here! Thanks Racingvette and good luck Larsen. I am following this thread for the education!
Your Welcome,

Very tough to walk people through problems like this when they have limited experience in all the electronics vehicles have today and how they function,
but nice to see once in a while via internet no matter where people live that that content like this can be exchanged

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
On each side those hatches have a latch, lift it and then take right hatch off
to storage spaces below

View attachment 17792
That is where the battery is located? On the right side. The left side has a compartment only. The box for exhaust is located on right side in the battery compartment besides the battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Your Welcome,

Very tough to walk people through problems like this when they have limited experience in all the electronics vehicles have today and how they function,
but nice to see once in a while via internet no matter where people live that that content like this can be exchanged
Absolutely fantastic!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That is where the battery is located? On the right side. The left side has a compartment only. The box for exhaust is located on right side in the battery compartment besides the battery.
Is it possible that the car does not have the vcim?
No buttons on steering wheel. And I cannot fint it. I think it should be located beneath the passenger seat?
Also. The connectors on the splice packs. I have not found any. And never seen them either on this car.
Are you sure that these are on the c6 z06?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,922 Posts
All information I posted comes directly from the GM service manual for a 2006 Z06
As you see from GM itself below that Onstar was standard feature

So I have to assume that your Z06 was a Europe model and did not come with Onstar
I would think you would know if it had it or not by simply looking at the rearview mirror and if it has a blue
Onstar button on it

ALL GM vehicles have ground splice packs, use the map I gave you in another post as to their locations
and looks like this

Gesture Finger Communication Device Telephony Gas

Font Screenshot Number Document Circle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
All information I posted comes directly from the GM service manual for a 2006 Z06
As you see from GM itself below that Onstar was standard feature

So I have to assume that your Z06 was a Europe model and did not come with Onstar
I would think you would know if it had it or not by simply looking at the rearview mirror and if it has a blue
Onstar button on it

ALL GM vehicles have ground splice packs, use the map I gave you in another post as to their locations
and looks like this

View attachment 17795

View attachment 17794
Ok I see.. Maybe a european model then. Have not the blue button.
Have to do some more ground points and splice pack checks then. The thing is that no connector like that has been disconnected.
The 201 connector. Is it inside the car or is it outside between the front fender and the chassis?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Second thought. The 201 has several things connected that actually work. So my opinion is then that this is ok. But I could be wrong?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,922 Posts
As I mentioned and showed you, a splice pack when opened can be corroded and would not been seen from the outside
As I showed the splice pack has to be pried apart and as you see in the image that the top part of the pack has male pins and the bottom half is female pins

If you feel for sure that all wiring and grounds are good then as mentioned it can be a controller
If you put another BCM in, the car will not start until the PCM/BCM relearn process is done

But at least with another BCM installed and then check to see if the same U DTCs trip again or not

I think you're getting overloaded with information and then missing what info I gave you, such as using the Tech_II and then seeing what controllers can be connected and which ones do not

You have not mentioned if the same DTCs are reporting now or different ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
As I mentioned and showed you, a splice pack when opened can be corroded and would not been seen from the outside
As I showed the splice pack has to be pried apart and as you see in the image that the top part of the pack has male pins and the bottom half is female pins

If you feel for sure that all wiring and grounds are good then as mentioned it can be a controller
If you put another BCM in, the car will not start until the PCM/BCM relearn process is done

But at least with another BCM installed and then check to see if the same U DTCs trip again or not

I think you're getting overloaded with information and then missing what info I gave you, such as using the Tech_II and then seeing what controllers can be connected and which ones do not

You have not mentioned if the same DTCs are reporting now or different ones.
Yes you might be right about that.
The problem is to find the splice packs. But I will work on it.

About tech2. The same U codes appear. No connection with pcm, bcm and the ebcm. Same problem with bcm when it is switched with the new used one. So it seems like the bcm is ok actually and all wirings to it from ebcm and pcm.

Does the fuel level have influence on starting the car?
Is it possible that it will not allow starting when it is getting a empty fuel signal?

Just trying to sort out things.

Once again thanks for great help👍

21 - 40 of 49 Posts