Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and my Bf are looking to buy a Z06, and we are ford ppl so we dont know much about Z06's. Can ya'll tell me what is the most common problems with them? what are some things that can be done to a Z06...etc.... thank you.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Welcome. The most common problem is traction. And you can put any power adder you can think of on a Z06. You can add turbos, superchargers, nitrous, cold-air inductions, headers & catbacks etc. But that will just add to the traction problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
474 Posts
2003Gtstang said:
me and my Bf are looking to buy a Z06, and we are ford ppl so we dont know much about Z06's. Can ya'll tell me what is the most common problems with them? what are some things that can be done to a Z06...etc.... thank you.

I had the same questions when I started here ~ 7 months ago. I suggest you use the search function (upper right corner of the home page) to specifically look for items of interest. The various forums (see link on the left of the screen) will also point you in the right direction. This topic/question has been brought up a lot.

There is a lot of info on this site. It's a matter of taking some time each day to search and go thru the old posts.

Good luck and welcome.

Pat

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
2003Gtstang said:
First of all bro, let me welcome you to the site!

As for your questions, I'm gonna recommend the 'search' feature here. The number of modifications that can be done to the Z are almost limitless and would take hours to cover them all.

As for problems with the Z, there have only really been two major concerns. 1.) On the 2001 (first year) model, some owners had problems with rings seating properly causing some oil issues 2.) GM has issued a recall on most years models regarding the Steering Column locking up. Other than that, most problems have been isolated on a car by car basis.

Enjoy the site!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The most common problem is how to get the grin off your face after driving.
Seriously, other than the 01 oil consumption problems, there is not too much to worry about.
Skys the limit as to what can be done on the cars.
Other than my Vettes, I have always been a "Ford ppl" too but everyone here are just into cars.
Welcome. :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MikesZ06 said:
First of all bro, let me welcome you to the site!
im a chick ;)
As for your questions, I'm gonna recommend the 'search' feature here. The number of modifications that can be done to the Z are almost limitless and would take hours to cover them all.

As for problems with the Z, there have only really been two major concerns. 1.) On the 2001 (first year) model, some owners had problems with rings seating properly causing some oil issues 2.) GM has issued a recall on most years models regarding the Steering Column locking up. Other than that, most problems have been isolated on a car by car basis.

Enjoy the site!!

Mike
was that just on the 2001??

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
2003Gtstang said:
im a chick ;)

was that just on the 2001??
Sorry 'bout that. No offense intend, maam.

The oil issue was on the 2001. The steering Column lock has occured on most years, I think. (not sure about the 2004 and 2005)

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z:
Above advice right on.
Here's a link to a contact to the newest convert:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85629&highlight=cobra

You can find members near you on your "myZ06vette" page here if you have entered your location. Talk to them. Find out where there is a local gathering of Z06's.
If you're looking for a stock or appearance-modified car, get the newest one you can afford. Each year brought refinements.
Get the car history.
Modded cars are different ... you gotta have someone knowledgeable evaluate the car.
You can go any direction on mods. Plenty info here.
Insurance for you should not be more (and probably is less) than a Mustang Cobra ...
Good luck in your quest! :jammin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
Sorry 'bout that. No offense intend, maam.

The oil issue was on the 2001. The steering Column lock has occured on most years, I think. (not sure about the 2004 and 2005)

Mike
My 2004 had the steering lock recall as well. It took about 30 minutes at the local Chevy dealership and I was back on the road.

·
10,998 Posts
Welcome from a ex Mustang GT and T-Bird SUpercoupe owner. I am very happy with my Z06 and will probably never go back to a Ford. :z: I concur with the advice already given. The better informed you are the better prepared you will be to make a good used car purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts