Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently run with SCDA, PCA, NASA - intermediate solo driver group and I got sick of driving street car on a track, it is time to make a dedicated build but I am trying to decide what way to choose. Current best bang per buck options i have in mind are a E36 based BMW car (cheaper) or C6 Z06 car (faster). Any build will be non-street stripped caged track only car.

So as I contemplate an idea to build up a C6 Z06 based track car this winter but I never was involved much into Z06 community - could anybody who owns such a 2006+ car comment on any current issues with LS7 motor worth addressing? I know from some friends about issues with C5 Z06 cars but as I understood C6 was all in all OK?

Were there any internal updates to LS7 7 liter motor since 2006? What MY car would be best bang per buck as a donor car with minimal amount of required upgrades to be done? MY 2006, 2007 or 2008?
Is it worth/required opening up LS7 motor and doing any upgrades to it prior to taking it to a track?
Also, is it worth replacing stock brakes on a C6 track car?

If any/all those issues were already summarized in any sort of FAQ related to dedicated track builds - I would be grateful if somebody could point me to it.

Regards, Paul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,

I currently run with SCDA, PCA, NASA doing DEs only in intermediate solo level driver group and I got sick of driving street car on a track, it is time to make a dedicated build but I am trying to decide what way to choose.
Current best bang per buck options i have is a E36 BMW car (cheaper) or C6 Z06 car (faster). Car I drive now is 997 C2 Porsche, quite severely modified, on JRZ shocks with 275/335 rubber - it is a lot of fun but quite costly to operate, i want something simpler, cheaper and robust enough to sustain enough stress. Plus I plan on starting racing it if I will get such a dedicated track car.

So as I contemplate an idea to build up a C6 Z06 based track car this winter but as I never was involved much into Z06 community - could anybody who owns such a 2006+ car comment on any current issues with LS7 motor worth addressing? I know from some friends about issues with C5 Z06 cars but as I understood C6 was all in all OK? What is an average life expectancy of 2006+ LS7 motor considering doing 20-30 events per season?

Were there any internal updates to LS7 7 liter motor since 2006? What MY car would be best bang per buck as a donor car with minimal amount of required upgrades to be done? MY 2006, 2007 or 2008?
2007 donor cars sit at below $20K market price, 2009 cars are almost at $50K range. Is there anything critical in going with 2009 donor compared to 2007?

Is it worth/required opening up LS7 motor and doing any upgrades to it prior to taking it to a track?
Also, is it worth replacing stock brakes on a C6 track car?

If any/all those issues were already summarized in any sort of FAQ related to dedicated track builds - I would be grateful if somebody could point me to it.

Regards, Paul.

Multiple threads. Threads merged...

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Early c6z makes a good choice. They did make updates to the engine in 2009 i believe. Honestly, the best bang for buck track car is a 2000+ miata.. Cheaper to run/upgrade/maintain, etc.

If you wanted to spend the money on a z06 then a 2004 z with good tires and lowered on stock bolts with a good track alignment would suit well. Evo viii, 350z, rx8 would be cheaper options too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts