Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, today I got cut off by a retard who decided one lane isn't quite wide enough. So to avoid running into her, I ended up bumping my passenger rear rim slightly against the raised concrete gutter at about 40 mph. Hood mounted rocket launcher isn't installed yet, so only recourse was 30 seconds of the finger and expletive yelling until she turned off road. Damage isn't too bad, 10 minutes with sandpaper removed the scratches, but now I've got 10" of shiny aluminium around the edge. Called Chevy dealer, they don't seem to carry paint for the rims. Any idea where to find it? It's a stock 2002 rim, the greyish-looking color.

Thanks,

·
Registered
475 Posts
The paint code is WA9789, I think the part number is 12345890, light metallic gray. I got mine from a Chev dealer. I had some minor scratches, not curb rash. It did not match very well. I suggest you take that wheel off, give the paint code to a good painter and have him refinish it. The wheel may not match your other wheels perfectly; but no one will notice.

Chas.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
GM Light Gray Metallic
Univ Code# WA9789
WAPB-9789
Dupli-color# GM435

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
GM Light Gray Metallic
WAPB-9789
Univ Code# WA9789
Dupli-color# GM435
I ordered this number paint code for my 2003 Z06 at it was a exact match :cheers:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wheel. Can you post pics after you've painted the wheel?

TIA,
Alex

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Frankly, you're better off using the services of a mobile wheel refinisher. Most auto dealers utilize them. They can drive to you and do the work on site. Paint matching a non-issue. I scuffed one of my brand-new MS wheels and I called the alloy wheel repair guys in our area. Good as new. :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZO6 AL-X said:
Sorry to hear about the wheel. Can you post pics after you've painted the wheel?

TIA,
Alex
Yeah, will do.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I thought I recall someone saying you could find this color at Walmart. Is that true? Seems it was in a similar thread last year.

Don

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Don Benson said:
I thought I recall someone saying you could find this color at Walmart. Is that true? Seems it was in a similar thread last year.

Don
Yes, I saw the paint at Wally World. :z:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IT L GO said:
Yes, I saw the paint at Wally World. :z:
Which part number did Walmart carry? Autozone didn't carry the dupli-color, and my Chevy dealer will have to order the GM part number.

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
ChuckChurch said:
Which part number did Walmart carry? Autozone didn't carry the dupli-color, and my Chevy dealer will have to order the GM part number.

Thanks,
WAPB-9789
Univ Code# WA9789 :cheers:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr. C's 5 said:
Be careful though. The early 2002 wheels were darker than the later ones. – C.
Crap. Any idea when the change was made? My door sticker indicates the car was built in March of '02.

Thanks,

·
Registered
24 Posts
ChuckChurch said:
Crap. Any idea when the change was made? My door sticker indicates the car was built in March of '02.

Thanks,
The best way is to pull a wheel and see where it's made. If it says Speedline and made in Italy, it's the newer, lighter cast wheel. If it says Alcoa and made in the U.S., it's the darker forged one and I have no idea what the paint code is. I have a set of 01 wheels with a small chip and am going nuts trying to find the right color. Good luck. - C.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here's a photo I took showing the color differences. The left is an 01' wheel, the right an 03'.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the pic.

Alex

·
Registered
228 Posts
When I got my 04 new, the dealer had scraped the RF wheel. They had it refinished and it did not match. I had it replaced with a new one. Their is a definite color difference between the 01 and 04 wheels. And, when I look at my 04 and look at the center hub wheel cap, they don't match the wheels very well either! Their appears to be a definite difference as well in the color of the fronts vs the rears. If you look at the photo above, you will see in the right wheel the mismatch I am talking about as it even shows up there!

My 01 wheels all seemed to match perfectly. Since my 04 was new (after the 01 was totaled) it looks like the color quality control is lousy on the 04 wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts