Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to lift the front end of my car so I can add a ZR1 front splitter and the front fascia reinforcement brace. Where do I place the floor jack so I can lift the vehicle and put it on jack stands. I read the manual and they show putting the jacking point in front on the transverse front spring on the engine cradle. That spot doesn't look as strong as the cradle brace aft of the front spring. I have a 2x6 that I will put between the jack and the frame to help dissipate the pressure point. I want to have both front tires off the ground at the same time so I can loosen the tire well liner to get the fascia off. I obviously don't have access to a lift of any kind, so the floor jack, and jack stands are my only option.

Reactions: bruce5793

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't even know how to jack your car up, perhaps you should take your car to a shop for your fascia install. Taking the bumper off (while not difficult) is very involved. There are several YouTube videos on how to do it. The jacking points are about where the front door meets the fender, and same on the back. They have an oblong shaped hole there. That's where most people install jacking pucks. Be careful jacking it up (if you decide to go that way) by the engine cradle...it's magnesium. Good luck dude.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off it is nearly impossible to use the jack points behind the wheels because of how high you need to lift the car in order to put a jack stand under one side at a time. You also will be torquing the frame a lot by doing one side at a time (duh). I am looking for the correct place to put a floor jack under the engine cradle to jack the front end up evenly. The owners manual picture is not very clear. If you had read my post correctly you would have understood my question and not posted a worthessl reply. I was hoping that someone on the forum had done this more than once and could confirm my thoughts about where to place the jack on the engine cradle. You need to stay away from the leaf spring, so that only leaves for or aft of the spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was only trying to help by giving you the CORRECT information as I've done a bumper removal and splitter install several times now and have jacked my Z up about 100 times since I've owned it...and about double that on my first Z. My car is lowered an inch with extended ZR1 skirts on it and I can still get my jack underneath it. Even when I pull it on the lift, I still use the jacking points because anywhere else is not smart. But it's okay man. You do you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know how long it takes an experienced tech/installer to remove the front bumper fascia and install the bumper brace but it took me 4+ hours. Part of the extended time was the bumper brace didn't clear the ends of the grill opening, which then required some shaving to give me the clearance I needed. In the end I would say it was worth it. Now I just hope I don't shatter the new splitter first time out. It's probably not as well made as the factory piece, at 1/3 the price I'll take it.
I know some people think the car without the side skirts looks stupid, but I just don't care for the way the skirts look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know how long it takes an experienced tech/installer to remove the front bumper fascia and install the bumper brace but it took me 4+ hours. Part of the extended time was the bumper brace didn't clear the ends of the grill opening, which then required some shaving to give me the clearance I needed. In the end I would say it was worth it. Now I just hope I don't shatter the new splitter first time out. It's probably not as well made as the factory piece, at 1/3 the price I'll take it.
I know some people think the car without the side skirts looks stupid, but I just don't care for the way the skirts look.
I need to lift the front end of my car so I can add a ZR1 front splitter and the front fascia reinforcement brace. Where do I place the floor jack so I can lift the vehicle and put it on jack stands. I read the manual and they show putting the jacking point in front on the transverse front spring on the engine cradle. That spot doesn't look as strong as the cradle brace aft of the front spring. I have a 2x6 that I will put between the jack and the frame to help dissipate the pressure point. I want to have both front tires off the ground at the same time so I can loosen the tire well liner to get the fascia off. I obviously don't have access to a lift of any kind, so the floor jack, and jack stands are my only option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts