Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of Nelson Tunes? I am looking for a tune for my 01 Z06 and these guys sound like they know what they are doin. I hear they are the best for the LS1 based trucks so must be pretty good for vettes too right?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Nelson Performance is a tuner out of San Antonio, TX. He's built a great reputation as being a tuner that can extract every ounce of power from your engine without messing it up. He uses your VIN number to load the most recent updates to your SUV. Then he edits the software to your specs. Nelson Performance guarantees that his tuning is far superior to that of a handheld programmer - folks over at the LS1 Racing Forum (great forum pertaining to GM high performance mods) really speak highly of his work – As do the folks at GM-Trucks and Fullsizechevy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am going to be ordering one for my silverado, and my dad is interested in one for his vette too but wants some feedback first. I have only heard of people doing it to there trucks. Not any other ls1 based cars

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm pretty sure he locks his tunes so no one else will EVER be able to edit it. They would have to start from scratch with a stock tune. That's not cool in my book, especially if I'm paying hundreds of dollars for it. I'd find out if he locks them. Some tuners do, some don't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Z06-Dave said:
I'm pretty sure he locks his tunes so no one else will EVER be able to edit it. They would have to start from scratch with a stock tune. That's not cool in my book, especially if I'm paying hundreds of dollars for it. I'd find out if he locks them. Some tuners do, some don't.
Im not sure what that has to do with what I asked. Im ordering one for my truck anyway. My dad wants to order one for his vette, but before he does, he wants some feedback from anyone who may have used Nelson for a Camaro or vette, or even firebird.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
LS6NickM said:
Im not sure what that has to do with what I asked. Im ordering one for my truck anyway. My dad wants to order one for his vette, but before he does, he wants some feedback from anyone who may have used Nelson for a Camaro or vette, or even firebird.
If he Locks it you will be SOL if you ever want to make any additional changes. I myself would not get involved with any tuner who locks the ECU. :yeadog:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well even though he may lock it, he offers free lifetime updates. Heres how it goes. You call him up tell him your mods, and drivling style, and then he makes you a computer and sends it to you, you instal it and send him your original. say a little down the road you do some changes, you call him up agin tell him what you did, and he sends yuo another one for free, then you send him the old one back when you recieve the new one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ok, first off, I'm not sure if he locks it or not, I just heard he did, he may well not.
Second, if you are comfortable with mailing your PCM and doing it that way, then go for it. I doubt you'll find many people on this board here who believe in mail order tunes. Some vendors offer them for a minimal fee but they are used as a temporary fix until you get to the dyno. Sure, they are probably better than no tune, but nowhere near as good as a dyno tune. No 2 cars are the sames, thus no 2 tunes should be the same.
If you have minimal mods and plan on keeping it that way, you should be ok, but a mail order tune for a SC or H/C setup is probably not a good idea, but I'm no tuner, this is just my opinion.
Try out www.nonsupportingvendor.com they do not lock their tunes but I think you have to pay a little fee for updates.
Good Luck! Keep us posted.
Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well like you said, a mail order tune is better than no tune. Also, there is no down time, he sends you a newly tuned pcm in the mail and when you recieve it you take your stock computer out and send it back to him. Also for my car, i do have basic bolt on mods. Borla Headers and Stingers, ported tb, msd wire, intake, etc. I dont see supercharger or turbos in my future, nor do I see building a new motor. I may do a nitrous kit sometime in the near future but other than that, there is not much planned for this car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts