Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I come close to upgrading the performance of my Z I hear negatives. First I decide to have a ripper installed and I hear about noise and vibration problems,so I don't do it. Second I decide to have a bottom feeder installed and I hear about water sucking problems.And most recently the PRT longevity and drone issue. The 3 most important performance mods seem to risky!!! VERY FRUSTRATING!!! LES/FUBU69

·
Registered
175 Posts
My sentiments exactly. I will eventually succumb to the exhaust mod though. I really like the trailing throttle snarl, muscle car sound, that my stock Ti exhaust lacks. As for the intake, a new filter is about as risky as I want to get, even though I don't drive my car in the rain. You can always sell the exhaust if you don't like it, provided you kept the original, a water damaged engine is another story. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
I always said that I would never mod my cars. My Z is the first car I've modified in 30 years. If I had it to do over, I would probably still add a shifter and an intake. But that's about it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Sometimes I too, long for those simpler days.

Full waranty protection.

No worries.

No temptation.

More money in the bank.

Then she calls me.

Softly at first then louder and still louder until at a full cream I hear ...

"It's dinner time are you going to eat or what!" "I thought you were hungry!"

I gota go now! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

D

·
0 Posts
Per lingenfelter go with a Donaldson...Works great with no water probs Dennis

·
Registered
680 Posts
I keep hearing different things about the Generals warranty. The dealers up here in my neck of the woods(tequilla country Frank! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) keep telling me that ANY intake mods WILL VOID my 3 year /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif. Does anyone have a firm answer from GM?? I want to do intake because it makes SOOO Much difference, let me know, if you know...thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Wow you better stay away from me you may get mod madness, I am looking forward to getting my 02 Z06 so I can install a cam, heads, headers, Vortex, shifter, new wheels and tires, Brembo brakes, exhaust and of couse engine paint and chrome thingies and that will be the first week./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JZ, if you read the ask Dave Hill segment on CF he states there will be warranty problems if you modify your intake.He also states that if you want a higher performance Corvette buy the ZO6. We all may not agree with him but I for one am not willing to take any chances, since I change Vettes every year. GO0D LUCK!!! LES/FUBU69

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My dealer will cover "any bolt on mod" now of course no No2 or turbo or supercharger, but headers, intake are fine with my dealer, I ask before I do it and I am dealing with the owner of the dealership. I read some of Dave Hill's answers and he seems to be a bit out of what is going on in the real world.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Just today I called the dealer that sold me the Z, and asked about pulling the stock exhaust and bolting my Corsa Indys on....said he does not want to get involved because of possible warranty hassles. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Time to buy my own lift! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
338 Posts
Donaldson and Corsas, can not go wrong with these. I have had them on my 00 HARDTop since almost day one and just ordered the Blackwing for my Z06. Corsas? Waiting on the titanium ones, yes!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Had a problem with my 87 roadster awhile back called up a local chevy dealer and told him i had zero oil pressure, the engine was cooked.Dealer told me no problem bring it in.I removed the nitrous setup from the car and flatbedded it up to the dealer. He opened the hood, closed the hood and told me I voided my warrentee with a kn air filter. Found another dealer who I have been with ever since he installed a new engine in warrentee....I even gave him a tpis zz9 cam,air flo research heads and ported intake which he installed no charge. Gm sucks but its the dealer who will help you out there are great dealers around.

·
Registered
483 Posts
By the way the same dealer installed 410 gears in my 96 grandsport which is still in warrentee last year, and just installed a b&m ripper in my zo6 last week

·
Registered
89 Posts
First, get a new Dealer.

Second, do not get the PRTs. The stock exhaust is awesome and will get badder with miles.

Third, decide if the Z stock is mean enough for you stock. If it is not, then mod and be prepared to come out of pocket if a change you make causes a problem--this is only fair. If 400 crank hp is enough, then great. I need at least 470hp to feel right with the car. My mods will make the car harder to sell (even though they are first-class and very professional), I will not get the $$$ back out of the car, and I may have to pay to fix certain things. You must pay to play big!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I can see both sides ...mod V no mods. I bought the Z instead of the triple Black 'vert my wife wanted (she has her own roadster now) because I did want HIGH performance. I'm VERY happy with this car! My '89 Coupe had Desert Driveline straight through SS megaphones... sounded AWESOME... but after 8 years I lost most of my hearing. My 16 year old Harley has had no mufflers for 15 years... there went the rest of my hearing!

I am now FINE with the stock Ti system on the Shark, and am getting to appreciate the relative quiet. The Hawg finally got a new (much quieter) exhaust. My neighbors held a block party!

Old fartism will change you... a little. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But they'll have to pry the Kirban out of my "cold dead fingers"!!

HarleyB

·
Registered
680 Posts
Harley, What, What did you say?? I can't, I can't hear you! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I put the K&N replacement filter on. Here is what it says on the box. "Vehicle Warranty:
K&N Filtercharger will not void your vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act passed in 1982 makes it illegal for a manufacturer to void a new vehicle warranty if the consumer uses non-OEM filters unless that manufacturer provides filters free of charge. If the manufacturer does not provide air filters free of charge, they cannot void the vehicle's waranty simply because you have installed an aftermarket air filter." Ric

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since that original post 5 weeks ago I say fu-k it. Iam doing bottom feeder, prt's, and shifter. I am even doing it on my '01 and then swaping it into my EB '02.WHY DEPRIVE MYSELF? FUBU69/LES

1 - 20 of 25 Posts