Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Looks good. Looking forward to a review.

Alex

·
Registered
61 Posts
New B&M shifter

B&M is two blocks away from my office, so I called one of the guys I know in their engineering department to ask if this was a new part number for them. His reply was YES, this is a new version of their traditional Ripper shifter that fits both the C5 and C6. Here are the differences that they are claiming:

1.) Fully isolated housing for less vibration;
2.) No tension spring controlling side-to-side movement, so it feels similar to the stock shifter when moving in this direction;
3.) Throw length reduction is not as aggressive as the old Ripper shifter. So, the throw reduction is still an improvement from stock, but not as aggressive as their previous version.

I do not have any association with B&M, so I'm just providing this information as it was explained to me. If you have any other questions, you should contact them directly.

-Greg W.
2001 QS

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
m5guy said:
B&M is two blocks away from my office, so I called one of the guys I know in their engineering department to ask if this was a new part number for them. His reply was YES, this is a new version of their traditional Ripper shifter that fits both the C5 and C6. Here are the differences that they are claiming:

1.) Fully isolated housing for less vibration;
2.) No tension spring controlling side-to-side movement, so it feels similar to the stock shifter when moving in this direction;
3.) Throw length reduction is not as aggressive as the old Ripper shifter. So, the throw reduction is still an improvement from stock, but not as aggressive as their previous version.

I do not have any association with B&M, so I'm just providing this information as it was explained to me. If you have any other questions, you should contact them directly.

-Greg W.
2001 QS

Great, sounds like what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Looks like a big improvement over the rattling short shifters. :thumb: Wonder how much?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My only concern is how much longer of a throw is it from the older model ripper?

I had a ripper in my '01 and loved it, even if it was a big stiff side to side. I'd hate to spend $200 on this new model and have it not much different than the stock shifter.

Hoping someone has test driven one...

:zboobie:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i guess they heard about people having good results with people fitting the c6 shifter in the c5s and made a redesign.

i wonder how it differs or if there is any improvement at all from the c6 shifter cause if i would change at this point, it may be to the c6 shifter.

honestly, i've never had a problem with the stock shifter though.

don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still haven't ordered one yet - waiting to hear from someone who's driven it to decide whether I should order this one versus the "old" one...

Anyone??

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I would suggest to skip the angst, and get the BPP instead. Very short, positive shifts, no vibration problems, and a totally adjustable handle. The Ripper and the Hurst are great, but have vibe issues, and they don't adjust to your reach/comfort zone. One thing that'll help all the aftermarket shifters is a good knob, such as the MGW.

·
Registered
79 Posts
exSSer I dont see how you can say the BPP doesnt vibrate. I also have the BPP and it vibrated like hell with the stock knob. I then got the MGW pistol grip shift knob and it cut down on the noise alot but still vibrates and makes some noise. Did you do something special to stop the vibrations?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
zmokkin said:
exSSer I dont see how you can say the BPP doesnt vibrate. I also have the BPP and it vibrated like hell with the stock knob. I then got the MGW pistol grip shift knob and it cut down on the noise alot but still vibrates and makes some noise. Did you do something special to stop the vibrations?

Not really. I bought it used from a guy that couldn't stand the noise/vibration, and it was covered with sticky residue of sound deadener he tried. Cleaned the thing up, used the old mini-boot from the stocker,inverted and pulled down over the new mechanism, in addition to the larger rubber boot, and had no problems. Maybe it's the car ? I also put a piece of soft rubber where the handle attaches. Even with the stock knob it was quiet. Of course, I've had MGWs before, so I'm using the "gripper" now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just recieved this shifter today via Fedex. It looks like a very nice and well built peice. I will be installing it this weekend and taking a couple pics in the process to post and share.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
keep us posted on how you like it......I have held off on changing out the Z's shifter, but love the B&M in my fbody...

:z:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I installed the new B&M shifter today and I really like it. It has a nice feel to it and isn't too hard to shift as with some other shifters due to the centering springs. It does have a little bit of noise but with the radio on you don't notice it. There's no vibration and even the rubber boot that screws down at the the base (with the 4 bolts) doesn't have to be modified in any way, shape, or form. It is a little shorter than the stocker but not too much. I should have the pics up sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I know some may want to know about the noise as noise seems to be an issue with most of the shifters out there. When you're driving around you really don't hear anything, as you put pressure on it before you shift (speed/power shift) the noise does get a little louder but there's no horrible grinding noise like other shifters make. I turned the radio on and the noise wasn't that noticeable. If I do become bothered by it all I will need to do is buy some silicone and put it around the area where the shifer base and the rubber boot meet and it should solve the problem. Since the rubber boot and shifter base do not completely "seal" it causes a bit of noise to come through from the torque tube.

I highly recommend this product to anyone who is finicky like I am about stuff they on their cars.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
did you install the optional solid mounts? someone on the other mentioned, "They are an optional install for better shifter feel, but the directions warned that it would give increased vibration and noise."

that person did not install them and mentioned no noise from the shifter at all.

don

·
Registered
157 Posts
I didn't because the instructions said I didn't need to. There's very little noise that's generated but that's because the rubber boot and the shifter base don't form a complete seal like the original. I notice it because I'm very anal about my car. The noise I hear really only happens when I have pressure against the shifter before I power shift or speed shift. It wouldn't take much to quiet it down any further.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts