Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any adverse effect in re-using my old factory brake pads (about 5000 miles on them) w/ my new Eradispeed rotors?

Thanks!!! :usa:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I think they might be glazed alittle and they MIGHT not seat properly. I don't think you will hurt anything but if they squeak then its a DO OVER!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't know where you guys are getting your information, but this is worth reading
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

Quote from article:

" If possible, new discs should be bedded with used pads of the same compound that will be used going forward."

The idea is that the pads will have already gone through the process of releasing bonding resins and other residuals from the first bedding in process, will have already established the taper due to caliper design to create a good relationship to the rotor surface and will be more effective in "seasoning" the new rotor.

Old proverb:
New pads, old rotors
Old pads, new rotors

·
Registered
806 Posts
tigerdrvr said:
Don't know where you guys are getting your information, but this is worth reading
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

Quote from article:

" If possible, new discs should be bedded with used pads of the same compound that will be used going forward."

The idea is that the pads will have already gone through the process of releasing bonding resins and other residuals from the first bedding in process, will have already established the taper due to caliper design to create a good relationship to the rotor surface and will be more effective in "seasoning" the new rotor.

Old proverb:
New pads, old rotors
Old pads, new rotors
I agree with the above. Use your old pads!!! This is a must to bed in new rotors. 5K miles on your pads means they are practically still new. I just bedded in new Brembo rotors with my stock pads and everything is perfect, no glazing, warping, ect. This will not hurt your rotors at all. Follow the proper bedding/seasoniong in procedures. Do a search and you will find thousands of threads on this. I agree with tigerdrvr, I dont know where this other information has come from but it's not a good idea. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
so what happens when you wear out your pads, crack and warp your rotors and you need both new? When you car is new how do the brakes get bedded correctly. Not be a smart ass but I have been doing brakes for 30 years and I have never been able to get a situation that the car had bad rotors and good pads. If you have some pad material left use those pads and then after bedding then install the new ones?
I will be doing a complete brake system change shortly and if this correct that is what I will do.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I did this exact same thing (Eradispeed rotors and stock pads with 18k miles on them) and have no problems whatsoever.

Jim

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'm for all new at the same time. New cars come with everything new don't they. :z:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've also trashed rotors and pads at the same time in road racing and open track events and ended up swapping new pads/rotors at the same time. It isn't a problem to bed new pads on unseasoned rotors...if you follow a normal bedding procedure.

But, given the choice, like the original poster, it is optimal to use old pads on new rotors, rather than going to new pads on the new rotors.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have been doing DE events for almost 20 years now and can't see any performance difference and do not pay any attention to the theory of putting old pads on new rotors and new pads on old rotors. If the rotors are cracked, they get replaced and get new or old pads depending on what I have available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts