Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Chevrolet Customer Service and they now have a policy of not providing vehicle order status information without contacting the dealer first. The dealer is now supposed to contact the “Dealer Business Center” to check on the status.

When I asked why, they said this was because customers were getting different stories from Chevy vs. what the dealers are telling customers.

Sounds like Chevy condones your dealer feeding you BS on your order and TPW. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06 Order# DKFFMZ - TPW 8/6 - DOA /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/All but PSMs
Try #2 - TPW 8/20!!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

On 2001-08-17 14:41, pmontelo spewed forth this drivel:
I just got off the phone with Chevrolet Customer Service and they now have a policy of not providing vehicle order status information without contacting the dealer first. The dealer is now supposed to contact the “Dealer Business Center” to check on the status.

When I asked why, they said this was because customers were getting different stories from Chevy vs. what the dealers are telling customers.

Sound’s like Chevy condones your dealer feeding you BS on your order and TPW. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

Don't think so.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1fastdog,

Are you saying that the person I talked with was misinformed about the new policy? Just last week I could call customer service and got status updates.

Pat

1985 Coupe/Red
Try #2 - Order# DNFM0T - TPW 8/20!!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

On 2001-08-17 15:02, pmontelo spewed forth this drivel:
1fastdog,

Are you saying that the person I talked with was misinformed about the new policy? Just last week I could call customer service and get status updates.

Pat

It might be the person you are speaking to. If there's a question in a customer's mind about what the dealer has told them is going on with their order, I'd surmise contacting the dealer to see what they are saying prior to contacting the vehicle order status folks might be helpful.

I'm pretty sure that GM wants folks to get the straight info. Maybe the person you talked with wanted to make sure you are getting straight info.

I can't see any purpose of telling you some story, the car will come when it comes or the dealer has allocation or not... either way the customer should be told where they stand and where their order stands. I don't know anyone who appreciates being fed a line... the truth is gonna come out.

It is possible the person you spoke with doesn't have the process straight, or they were trying to make sure you were satisfied..

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1fastdog, everything you said makes sense. Hopefully it was just the person I spoke with. I just wish they would make it available through a website.

Anyway, thanks again for coming through with the status information. Your the best. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
231 Posts
just a heads up..called chevy customer service..very professonal,and polite..regarding my event code status and TPW..they confirmed the 8/20 TPW..and gave me a file#..asked if it was possible for a sequence #,told to call next week with the file # /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif 02 EB/MOD RED Z06

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZOWHAT,

Glad to hear it, that has been my experience in the past. Not sure why it changed today, and why I was given that story. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Now if I could only get my salesman to return my call. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

1985 Coupe/Red

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

On 2001-08-17 14:41, pmontelo spewed forth this drivel:

Sounds like Chevy condones your dealer feeding you BS on your order and TPW. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

1985 Coupe/Red
Try #2 - TPW 8/20!!!

If your dealer has the allocation and placed your order it is just a matter of making a phone call to dealer services. They are great people. I check on 10 to 12 of my customers orders every week. No problem. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Pat (alias, "Pmontello"), FWIW, you MAY be called in a few weeks by a very diligent customer satisfaction survey taker who is an independent contractor for Chevrolet. One called me this week and wanted my opinion on the CAC process. I was hard pressed to give them very good marks and told her so. She record virtually every word I said in some sort of commentary section of the survey. She had a set format of questions but allowed much time for elaboration and additional comments as to the "reason" for my opinion. What I basically did is take the opportunity to complain about "the system". It's not the dealers fault, it's not the CAC representatives fault. It's "the system's" fault.

Dealer takes an order, but it's not really an order without an allocation. Dealer has to sell last year's cars to get this year's cars. The poor Corvette customer is the victim in all of this. Now do think for one minute that such nonsense takes place in a Cadillac dealership?

One thing is for sure there should be a strick policy nationwide among Chevy dealers that are "authorized" to sell GM products that says a dealer never is allowed to accept a customer deposit without that customer getting in return an absolutely firm, no BS order reservation in "the system", with at the very minimum a projected commitment date from GM for expected delivery of the car to be ordered.

Maybe not that exact day the customer first requests an order, (afterall a lot of cars are sold on weekends), but within a couple business days later.

Then, and ONLY then, the dealer can ask to be pre-paid a deposit, the same amount for all dealers as part of establish Chevrolet policy, let's say $1000, to "hold the order" in trust for the customer. If the customer refuses or cannot make the deposit, no order goes any futher for that customer and it is essentially cancelled. If on the other hand, the customer pays the deposit, he is then given a firm confirmation that the order is going to be process and that an allocation is already available to make it happen right then and there. None of this wait and see, "we'll get back to you", ie,
no value received for months on end.

This is OUR hard earned money we are talking about here. Putting a deposit down months in advance really doesn't buy us anything except a bunch of consternation while waiting for the dealer to get their all important allocations. They eventually get some or many, how ever they get divided up, but MOST dealers seem to have no idea when.

I firmly believe paying upfront for partial value received UPFRONT!!! The current "system", however, is based more on wishful thinking than reality which woefully contributes to setting false expectation for paying customer and sellers alike.

If not for such a great product, like the Corvette and the Z06 in particular, I don't know how Corvette buyers put up with all the seemingly endless meandering through "the system".

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dsinned,

I'm with you. I'd be glad to tell them what I think about their allocation system. It is a shame that the customer who wants to spend this kind of money on a car gets put through what we do.

I can understand Chevy's desire to move a lot of Corvettes, but the way they have designed the allocation system doesn't consider the customer's needs, desires and patience.

It seems designed solely as a way of maximizing the number of Corvettes sold in a given model year; so that dealers who are willing to fill their lots with the most Corvette's get the cars.

My local dealer told me a story about how in '96 they purchased over 300 C4s. They did this even though they knew they would have a dificult time moving all of those cars with the C5 coming out the following year. The reason they did was so that they would get one of the best C5 allocations in the area.

Yesterday, I was finally told by their inventory manager that the reason they couldn't get my original MY Z06 order accepted in the system was because they already had one in the system and an unsold MY coupe on the lot. But for over two months, I was fed a different story.

“Sure, we'll be able to get the car, no problem, we have one of the best allocations in the area", “It should only take a couple more weeks”. Typical dealer BS. With this system, the dealer will do what ever they can to keep a sale from walking away to another dealer, including in my case, deliberately leaving out all the facts on why they didn’t have an allocation for my car yet.

I can understand why Chevy has the MY constraint; because they don't want to slow down production too much. But if I get my MY Z06 order in the system first, why should someone else in NJ get one ahead of me just because they live close to the biggest Corvette dealer?

I wonder how many more cars do they really sell by playing all of these games? They do piss a lot of people off in the process. If I have to drive 600-miles round trip to Dearborn to get my car and find another cracked body panel, I don’t think I’m going to be willing to go through this system a third time.

1985 Coupe/Red

·
Registered
0 Posts

On 2001-08-18 01:26, pmontelo spewed forth this drivel:
dsinned,

It seems designed solely as a way of maximizing the number of Corvettes sold in a given model year.
If GM wanted to make more Vettes, then they would run 2 shifts. They could then double their production #'s. They are trying to keep the Vette a little more exclusive.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Now I'm in a dillema. Reading all this dribble about GM and allocation makes me think I placed my order with the wrong dealer. They told me I was the 1st order in line when I placed it back at the end of June. Then I got my order # on July 3rd. They still don't have a TPW and non in sight. Now when I call they tell me last time they got a MY z06 for 2001 it took them 8 months. Should I cancel the order with them or order thru another dealer and see who gets me a TPW 1st. What would happen to my deposit? This is crap.. I'm reading on other forums about people already getting Z's that placed orders after I did /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

Any advise?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thx2.net,

My advice would be to call around and find a dealer with a known TPW for an inbound MY Z06 and put down a deposit with a credit card. Some states require new car deposits to be refundable if the order is cancelled; I would check it out.

Unfortunately no dealers are getting new MY orders in the system right now because MY is on constraint.

Best of luck!

2002 CORVETTE HARDTOP Z06 VETH)
Orders sent to POMS 8-14-01 are tentatively scheduled to be built the week of 9-3-01.
Exterior Paint Millenium Yellow (79U)-Not Available. Constraint code 464.

See:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=131508

1985 Coupe/Red

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've already placed a deposit with one dealer, check was cashed 7 weeks ago. They said no problem, I'm the first Z06 they'll get.

Does anyone know why M/Y is on constraint? I don't get it? If they offer the color and I'm paying extra for it, why would they not produce them?

(Thanks to the net!)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thx,

The problem you may experience is that GM (not the dealer) will decide if and when they will give your dealer an allocation for a constrained color.

The first Z06 that your dealer may receive may not be a MY. Even your dealer admitted to waiting 7 months last year for an MY?

Why does GM do this? I don't know! My guess is that because MY or Mag Red is another pass through the paint process. GM must want contol over constraints or bottlenecks to production. If everyone ordered a color such as MY or Mag red, I suspect it could slow production of all cars because of the required 2nd pass through the paint line on these colors creating a bottleneck.

Frank is correct, a dealers allocation size will directly influence your ability to get a car quickly, especially MY. I wish you the best of luck. With Z06 production increasing from 15% to 20% we should see more Z06's at the dealers this year. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mark

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for the expl.. did not know that MY needed an extra paint pass.. when they constrain colors do they tell dealers how long the constraint is?

How do they decide when to lift a constraint? Do dealers know what their color allocation is?

This wait is brutal 7 weeks and counting with no TPW /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts