Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a new differential gear in a Z06? 3.73 or 3.90? I am curious how it affects performance? The Z06 seems to have so much torque now that I am wondering if a different gear would be too much for the tires to handle. Also does anyone know how much improvement you might get 0-60 from one of these?

- Charley

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Charley,

There was _just_ a good discussion on this over in the Pit Road and/or Racing section. You might want to search over there. Look up "gearing" or "gear swap".

Roger Ramjet came up with some good numbers on his simulator program. Some decent 0-60 and 1/4 mile gains (~.2 for each...maybe a bit more...if I recall correctly).

It is my opinion (and I don't own the car yet, but have driven one) that unless you get some sticky tires...in the real world on less than perfect concrete, you'll just smoke 'em even more. I believe this will potentially lead to slower ETs.

Slap some slicks on there and hang on! :D But if you're fighting traction now, we all know a gear change to a higher numerical ratio will just compound the problem.

There are a couple of guys who are getting 1.78-1.85 60' times at the track on stock tires. How much more torque do we think the F1 tire can handle? I'd say these guys are at THE practical limit of what the stock tire can take. More power will mean more wheelspin...slower times.

Just my $.02 soley based upon years of racing on radials at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WA 2 FST said:
Charley,

There was _just_ a good discussion on this over in the Pit Road and/or Racing section. You might want to search over there. Look up "gearing" or "gear swap".

Thanks WA_2_FST....I will check it out.

- Charley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts