Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, glad to be a member of this forum. Hello to everyone.

Now to my issues; I hope fellow owners can help me out here. I picked up my EB Z about 5 days ago. I now have 275 miles. I've driven relatively conservatively per the manuals 500 break-in procedure. Of course, I've made a few blasts, but nothing approching redline (maybe 5500 shifts). I've tried to vary my rpms.

The car has a distinct "tin/metallic" rattle sound when I lift off the gas. Almost sounds like a slinky toy. It only occurs when the throttle is lifted. I've isolated the sound the best I can and have determined it to be from the catalytic convertor area and it resonates on through the cat-back out the tail pipes. Could I possibly have a bad cat or a loose heat shield? The car is tripping no "check engine" light, so I'm assuming the cat is functioning properly in the emmissions aspect. Any ideas before I take the car in?

Second, there is a slight ticking sound coming from the motor. It quite possibly might be the injectors, but I'm not experienced whatsoever with the Chevy LS1/LS6 motor (former 32V Cobra owner). This might be normal, but I'm really paranoid at the moment.

Third and final issue, the clutch is really nice, but I'm getting a distinct "throw-out bearing" hum. The sound goes away as soon as I push the clutch in. I'm speculating this is normal, but would appreciate some re-assurance from other owners.

Thank you for the time and great to be here. Besides these issues, I LOVE THIS CAR!!

Jeff

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome aboard,

You've found the place for Z06 owners.

I may not be able to answer all your questions, but there surely will be someone here that can.

1. The noise from the cat area, I don't have, sounds like what you mentioned but as far as I know that is not normal.

2. I don't have any throwout bearing noise. I do have, and I believe it is normal to feel a slight vibration in the clutch pedal when in neutral and you push the clutch in slightly.

3. The slight ticking sound from the injectors or valves is normal.

I'd have #1 and #2 checked out by your dealer.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Jeff,

First off too Welcome aboard, check all your new features on the nav bar @ left.

Everthing you describe has been determined to be normal Z06 noises, there are a ton of posts to read on these very subjects. Dont worry right off just keep breakin slow. Read some of the posts you will feel better......

Good luck.......

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
agree with IMA, they all sound like normal noises

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot for the quick replies

I might buy the clutch noise and engine ticking noise as normal, but there is no way this exhaust rattle noise is normal IMO. I met up with another 2002 Z06 owner and his car was not duplicating this metallic rattle. It's probably a minor issue/easy dealer fix, but in no way am I going to pass this off as a "normal" aspect of the car.

I'll definitely keep the forum updated on what the dealer finds.

thanks again! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
It is so normal, they even mention it in the video with the car. It is a sports car and they make noise. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I agree with Z06 2002, look at your video, they even let you hear a example of the noise, see if that is what you hear.

and welcome to the forum :cheers:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, I watched the video and don't recall this subject being covered. I'm headed home right for lunch and will pop it in the vcr.

This is one of those rare instances I hope I'm wrong :p

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Exhaust Rattle

Read another forum post about this same thing..........
Guy was going NUTSO over the noise, exactly as you describe.
Dealer never could/would acknowledge/find it..............
He went to a speed shop, competent with Vette's......and found the problem to be the exhaust(behind the main cats).
I think he had a X pipe put in, & stopped the problem.
So, if the noise is driving you nutso, have this checked.........;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Z06/LS6. Thats sounds like the EXACT same problem I have.

I went home and watched the video and found the reference to undercarriage "clunk/rattle". That reference is to the driveline components during initial take-off and not the exhaust. My rattle is a definite exhaust problem, especially considering I can get the rattle with the car sitting still in neutral and blipping the throttle. Blip throttle, let off, get "slinky" rattle. Blip throttle, let off, get "slinky" rattle. All while the car is sitting motionless.

I hope my dealer is "man" enough to admit the problem, especially after dropping $50K for this car.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: Exhaust Rattle

ZO6LS6 said:
Read another forum post about this same thing..........
Guy was going NUTSO over the noise, exactly as you describe.
Dealer never could/would acknowledge/find it..............
He went to a speed shop, competent with Vette's......and found the problem to be the exhaust(behind the main cats).
I think he had a X pipe put in, & stopped the problem.
So, if the noise is driving you nutso, have this checked.........;)
That was the same thing I read, he chanfged it to the "Basani??"
X-Pipe....If I can find the post, I will put it in this one for all to read........

:cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got the same rattle. Sounds like little marbles in a mason jar. Dealer looked at it once and couldn't hear it (must be deaf). I too have heard it's "normal" but if so, it sounds like a design flaw to me. Will have the dealer ride with me next time I take it in. Have not watched the video but will now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Z06 Noises

My '01 Z06 had a distinct rattle when in neutral, clutch out, which I supected to be the throw out bearing. The rattle got louder to the point it no longer sounded "normal" and I finally took it in to the dealer. The mechanic stated that the throw out bearing was "corroded and cocked" and he replaced it. Not a pretty sight seeing the Z on a lift with the transaxle dismantled, but the new throw out bearing returned the rattle to a quieter "normal" sound. I also have the injector ticking at 2000 RPM, the humming of the shifter and linkages, the whinning of the fat tires on the road, and the awsome roar of the pipes when my foot gets heavy. This is by far the noisyest new car I have ever owned, insn't it GREAT!!! Enjoy your ride!

Don J

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks again guys; excellent replies

I think I'm gonna put the car on jack stands myself and see what I can do. I'm super leary of dealerships and their "technicians" and am trying to avoid that if possible.

And yes, I do realize this is a sports car and will have some noises (I'm a former 450rwhp vortech supercharged Cobra owner, very noisy), but this definitely appears "fix-able" to me. :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Welcome to the list, glad you have returned from the dark side and are driving a GM product :)

The clutch noise is absolutely normal.

The ticking is very likely the injectors but keep an "ear" on it and make sure it doesn't get worse.

My ZO6 does not make any abnormal (key word) noises when I let off the throttle, just the nice burble (technical term) that you want to hear. Get to know a Vette enthusiast at your local Chevy dealer and have him listen - sounds like you may have a defective CAT but that is pure guess.

Enjoy the car man, it is like no other IMO.

Les

BLU-BY-U said:

I think I'm gonna put the car on jack stands myself and see what I can do. I'm super leary of dealerships and their "technicians" and am trying to avoid that if possible.

And yes, I do realize this is a sports car and will have some noises (I'm a former 450rwhp vortech supercharged Cobra owner, very noisy), but this definitely appears "fix-able" to me. :D

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The noise that is discussed in the video is relating to when the clutch is let out and the car starts to move.
Must be a 6speed thing because my friends new (40 miles) C5 coupe does it and it is louder than on my Z06:D
This is also called "marbles or coins in the can" sound.
We just put B&B PRT's on his vette and the exhaust noise masks some of it now. (what a sweet sound under acceleration:cool: :cool: :D )

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car had a similar exhaust noise, I jacked it up, could find nothing loose. However, it has quietly :) disappeared over the last 2000 miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
noises

I got the same throw-out bearing noises, drive-line clunks, and road noises. At first this all was concerning, but the more the Z breaks in, the less noticeable it has become. Or maybe i have gotten use to it. So, I would just ignore it, not that big a deal.
However, "slinky" noises are not something I have heard yet.
Maybe this is a good excuse to mod your exhaust!:)

·
Registered
928 Posts
BLU-BY-U,
Welcome to the ZO6 fast lane, from what I have been reading of the post in the past month or so, I think most of what you have been hearing probably falls in the "normal" category. However, your statement of being "super leary of dealerships and their "technicians" is something I just had to respond to. Those technicians go to model year updates, and get their information from the GM Training Centers around the country. The "Corvette Experts" not working in Franchised GM dealers would have to pay big bucks to attend those Centers, I'm not even sure if they are eligible even if they wanted to pay. Therefore, one must consider who has the correct knowledge base, especially when it comes to knowing the correct fix for some of the problems that show up on a vehicle after it has been driven by the consuming public. I worked as one of those technicians back in the early 70s, and the information that was presented by the Training Centers was excellent, well thought out, and tested before release. Remember, when the factory authorizes a "fix" the vehicle and it's systems has to remain in a condition where it will still meet emission standards, driveability, and remain covered under the factory warranty.
There are shops out there that can resolve the problems, but their "fix", although it may resolve the certain condition such as the exhaust sound we read about, may not work out in the long run due to conflicts in the warranty, or other areas unknown at the time.
On another note, I like that name BLU-BY-U, do you have that on your plate too?
Stan :cheers:

BLU-BY-U said:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts