Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone! I'm new to the forum and have my first Z06! It's a 2008 black on black with some lite mods. I have owned a C5 automatic in the past. My question; When I am crusing on the highway at 60/70mph in 6th gear and that jock in his Mustang GT wants to run, what is the safest gear I should drop down to without over-reving for max horsepower without damaging my engine? This is my first standard trans so still learning the steps.
PS: Not afraid of speed or jocks! :z:

THANKS
ZO6 GIRL

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Welcome to :z: and congrats on your new ride!

You can go to third at that speed if you think you need to. 7000 rpm is 120 mph or so in third. I spanked a Stalker Mustang in fourth the other day at that speed. When he came back for more, I showed him third. He didn't try me again. You need to get used to the car first though. I did.

I'm sure you will get a lot of info here. This is a good site with a lot more experienced people than me. This is my first vette.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Billy is right, dropping to third and hitting it will destroy a typical Mustang GT, but you can still win by dropping to 4th.

Be sure you know how the car is going to react before you do this though, you don't want it to get away from you.

BTW, welcome aboard, nice to have you here.

Congrats on the new ride.

Mark

·
Registered
733 Posts
What they said, but practice it a lot b4 you do it for real.

:)

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new ride....

As for the gear selection, I say, take it down to 3rd, then down to 2nd.....get a roll-on going....Keep it at 3000-3500 rpms and annihilate the jock!

The neck-snapping acceleration of 2nd gear and seeing the jock in your rear-view mirror within 3 seconds makes a nice story. All while, you never break 75 mph...Then let off, sit back and watch said jock do a loser fly-by.

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Welcome aboard. Congrats on the awesome ride. Please plan on coming to next years Z06 Festival in Bowling Green, KY. You'll love it.

Now post up some pics when you get a chance.

·
9,755 Posts
:welcome: to the site 'girl. It's always nice to have some more representation of the fairer sex !

When dropping down to 3rd (or any other gear) make sure you rev match. If you don't, the car will lurch forward putting all the weight on the front tires and unloading the rear giving 0 traction to take off.

·
21,329 Posts
:welcome: to the site 'girl. It's always nice to have some more representation of the fairer sex !

When dropping down to 3rd (or any other gear) make sure you rev match. If you don't, the car will lurch forward putting all the weight on the front tires and unloading the rear giving 0 traction to take off.
I would also like to add, make sure you select third and not first. Easy to do when the adrenaline starts to flow. :eek2:

Welcome to :z:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the site, enjoy your Z06 I just blew a Gt off the road rolling in 4th in my 08 Z06, I did not want to show him what the car can really do in lower gears.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Welcome to the site, enjoy your Z06 I just blew a Gt off the road rolling in 4th in my 08 Z06, I did not want to show him what the car can really do in lower gears.

Enjoy!
Glad you didn't underestimate him and get to see his tail lights. I always give it all it's got. That way, they KNOW what it's got and don't think they were close.

ie. He goes to his buddy and the internet and says. My bone stock Mustang just hung with an 08 Z06. :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts