Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to list this in Pit Road or New Products but it is geared toward Racing so I'll place it here.

Goodridge has announced significant upgrades to it's array of SS brake and clutch lines.

1. Based on the 600- Series the new 610- series features a different weave and is 20% lighter at 49g/m vs. the old 60g/m. The newer, lighter SS lines still maintain a 12,500 psi burst rating while the Aramid lines are still rated at 8,800 psi.

2. Lighter Titanium -3AN connectors are available in straight angled and 90 degree terminating in nutted or clipped connections.

3. They are also available standard (610-3) or with antistatic PTFE liners in SS, Aramid and in SS with a Polyethelene covering for a stealth or multicolored look and additional protection.

Note that the standard non-antistatic and different antistatic liners were previously available in the 600- Series but not well advertised and may have caused the wide variety of price and subsequent confusion. These undoubtedly caused the reported static and PCM code problems with those customers that undubtedly bought seemingly cheaper priced lines and thought they were getting the same product at a bargain price rather than the costlier antistatic lines.

The old adage "You get what you pay for" holds true here and many didn't realize that until they started having Code problems.

The -3AN connector coming off the Caliper should be a 90 degree and the Clip connector at the frame bracket main line can be straight (as OEM) or modified to a 90 degree and appropriately positioned for strain relief.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
DJ,
Thanks for the info.
Then there are the ones of us that bought the cheaper ones not know ing there were different configurations.

I really want to upgrade to SS lines, but made the mistake of getting the banjo junk when they arrived after purchase. Can you give me a source and part number for the ones I want to install on my '02?

Really appreciate your help!!!
Thanks,
Mike

Oh update, mostly street use but there will be 3 day DE events and other off road adventures. Thanks again.

·
Registered
518 Posts
mgarfias said:
Where would I get the SS lines with the 90deg Ti fittings, with the antistatic liner?
Ditto

And are the new -AN lines easy to retrofit? Better stated, do the lines come with the -AN fittings attached to the banjo, or do they come in a kit that requires replacement of the banjo with the -AN, or is it just the -AN already connected to the line?

BTW, thank you very much for providing us with this info. Above and beyond the call of duty. :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very timely thread - thanks DJ. I'm just about to buy SS lines and didn't even know there were so many kinds. Any recommendations of where to buy?

·
Registered
752 Posts
DJ...thanks for the great information. :ity:

Is this a DIY project? I can pump my own gas and change my oil :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
DJWorm said:
The -3AN connector coming off the Caliper should be a 90 degree and the Clip connector at the frame bracket main line can be straight (as OEM) or modified to a 90 degree and appropriately positioned for strain relief.
Any additional hints on how they are "modified to a 90 degree and appropriately positioned for strain relief"? Where are the 90 degree fittings available.

For what it's worth... I called Goodridge today because the lines I have are too short on the rears. The "tech guy" I spoke to was unaware of this issue with the Z06. He is "looking into the problem" and possible solutions. I'll post the outcome.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had all sorts of problems with the Earl's SS lines years ago and chased ABS/AH/TCS codes for years until I finally figured out it was the brake lines causing it. I switched to the Goodridge lines and have had no issues. I think I got them thru either Ecklers or Mid America. I think they were about $120 or so. It is an easy DIY project. Just make sure you get the right fittings into the Caliper and into the actual brake line. As was stated before, not all lines are the same and some may require an 'adapter' to fit the caliper.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I compared the length of my rear stock lines to that of the Goodridge SS lines with AN connectors. The Goodridge lines are actually a bit longer - but still too short, here's why.

Both of the lines terminate at the caliper with a 45 deg. fitting. The stock lines have banjo connectors thereby introducing an additional 90 deg. bend to get to the caliper. The SS lines need to go through an additional arc to get to the caliper. In addition, the 45 deg. fitting on the SS lines causes it to take a different route back to the hard line fitting.

It looks like Goodridge needs to put a 90 deg. fitting on the caliper end and add about 1 inch to the length of the SS line. This would allow the line to closely approximate the routing of the stock line.

I have informed Goodridge of this and they offered to supply me with replacement lines of these dimensions. Hope I'm right :)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Note that the Goodridge Lines from Mallett have a 90 degree -3AN connector on all 4 corners and the rears have an additional 120 degree oblique backspacing angle. They terminate at the frame bracket in a straight clip connector.

The lines are draped in a "lay-down S" ( ~ ), and secured in the middle with a tie wrap to the A-Arm appropriately, from the frame bracket to the -3AN connector; for strain relief and clearance. They are longer than the OEM lines.

Mallett has the Goodridge lines he sells, custom made to his specs. Again you get what you pay for.

By using the longer lines you would not need a 90 degree connector at the frame bracket but may need one if shorter lines are used. However, 90 degree and straight connectors are available.

Care should be taken on lowered cars because the reduced travel suspension, especially if using shorter shaft shocks may make it seem like shorter lines are appropriate, that is until the suspension becomes fully unloaded in rebound after a significant Bump deflection.

In this case lines to remote reservoir shocks can also be compromised as well. My brake lines were never affected but I have snapped off one of the rear shock reservoir lines. Note that the connector snapped off as it enters the shock body but the SS line was never had its structure compromised. I have since redraped these lines to get better strain relief on full deflection.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't spoke with Chuck Mallett since Goodridge announced the new lighter lines and -3AN Titanium connectors. I am sure he can get them.

However, in the past he has always had the correct length, non-static lines with the correct 90 degree -3AN connectors.

We will be offering them in the near future.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
DJWorm said:
However, in the past he has always had the correct length, non-static lines with the correct 90 degree -3AN connectors.

We will be offering them in the near future.

DJ,
Who's "we"???? Are you going to be selling? If so I'll buy from a Zbro first, then look else where. Let me know please.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
DJ,
Thanks for the great info as always. Guess I am happy I bought the more expensive Mallett Goodridge lines and now understand why mine fit and others don't. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aramid lines would be a suitable upgrade in classes that prohibit SS lines, such as SCCA's Super Stock class that limits SS line in cars produced before 1994.

They are better than OEM lines but do not give as much burst protection or abrasion resistance as SS lines. Nor do they give the modulation and performance as SS lines.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
BQuicksilver said:
Thanks DJ.

I e-mailed Mallett and tried to direct them over here to clarify what they carry/will carry.

That's cool, I want to get the right ones this time.

THe others are just going to sit on the shelf, not even going to mess with them and the banjo fittings.

Thanks guys,
Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
I actually need a set of these. I'm a bit confused about the "right" ones and who (I don't know Mallet) to buy from or even if they are available yet from the threads I read here. So when and where can we get the "DJ" special brake lines? Who can actually supply the right lines that don't throw error codes and are long enough to fit with all the AN fittings we need? Any phone numbers and part numbers? Thanks I'm a bit dumb on Z06's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts