Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I saw a guy with a supercharged Z06 at the track he ran a 11.3 and did not seem to be a very good driver he said he should be in the high 10's. I also saw a guy late last fall put down a 11.87 and he claimed he was stock except for an air box mode of some sort. Well then I was at Watkins Glenn this year for a driving event and there was 2 Z06 at the track. They were in the instructor class and man they were beautiful. They handled the track without any issues and turned some nice laps.

The owners told me that out of the box this was the best car they have ever owned for the track and both of them had or had owned 993's that cost them quite a bit to get track ready (brakes & Suspension)

I have been driving a Audi 2000 S4 for 2 years and it was heavily modified. The last modification was going to be for power and it would have pumped me up to about 430hp at the wheels. (please no flames I have 320 at the wheels now and have seen the kit I wanted to get put down 430 at the wheels)

The cost for that is almost 12K with the install and I had already invested 13K for brakes/suspension/exhaust and many other mods. This last mod would have got me into the high 11's and that is really the best you can ever do on this car and have it be a daily driver.

Then I started thinking about it and said "boy this car is only worth about 20K and I am going to dump 12K more into it and I am still not where I would like to be powerwise." That is when logic took over. When I got the S4 I needed a daily driver that I could haul clients around in and make a great sleeper. (12.7 inthe 1/4 is pretty good for a 4 door) Then I realized that I was at the top of the food chain modding this and it was not enough.

So that was it I bought an old mini van for the client needs and I am shopping for a 2003 Z06. My audi is paid off and I will sell it or trade it in. I have thought about this hard and the Z06 really seems to be the ultimate machine for under 100K that can be purchased.

In the next 2 weeks I will be buying this car and any advice I can get from this forum would be greatly appreciated. I have found one I like for 36K its a 2003 Z06 with 6000 miles. Any thing I should look out for? any advice at all would be great!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Best advice from me is spend a month driving it to get used to the differences and the overall characteristics of the Z. Though not necessarily needed at 6000 miles, new tires will provide a significant improvement (Toyo R1As or Nitto 555R2s).

If you want more power after that, the sky is the limit.

-RR

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Congrats in advance on your Z06 purchase. A 2 or 3 year old low mi Z is the best performance bargain you'll ever get. Given your experience, it sounds like your first mod will probably be sticky tires. The Z06 is traction challenged, Audis not so much.

For any mods you may be interested in, you can simply do a search, or go to the power adders section of this forum - you'll find all the info you need. With almost any specific Mod you'll find 1/2 the Z owners that post on a thread about it already have the mod and talk about it, the other 1/2 don't have it and chose something else instead, and they talk about that. It's really a great resource for a new Z owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree I plan to drive it for the rest of this year at the scaa events and I may modify it late next year sometime.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

If you can and it looks like you are, buy a Zee that has some Factory Warranty left on it. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Congrats on your decision and welcome to the forum. :z:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There are some excellent deals on Z06 vettes with the new C6 and the new C6 Z06 comming. Many of the people I know here in south Louisiana who have Z06's and have traded or sold them are gorgeous cars that are not daily drivers for in the low 30k range...just get someone who knows cars to evaluate the car and make sure you are not getting a rebuilt car.

We have a few local rebuilts here....it takes a lot to total a Z06...insurance wise. See if you can find and auto adjuster for a big insurance company like Allstate, State Farm, etc.....to look at the car before you buy it.

My husband was an adjuster for four years and he frequently looks at cars my friends are looking to buy to be sure they don't have any sign of a wreck......

We see cars all the time that people purchased and never realized the car was damaged.......

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you get a car with factory warranty still on it, you can still purchase an extended 3rd party warranty. The internet has many companies that will sell you a policy.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your decision! :cheers: The Z06 is the Best "Bang for the Buck" out there! :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up an 03 z06 with 6k miles. I bought it without ever driving a c5 before. I can't speak for experience, since I haven't had the car but a couple of days, but you won't be sorry.

Sounds like a good deal. I bought mine with just under 6k miles.

-Ted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts