Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dymag has just announced their new 2 piece Hybrid Wheel using Magnesium Centers and 1 piece Carbon Fiber Rim Barrels.
These will appear on Cadillac's SAE 100 STS-V Technology Showcase/Concept car. These will be extremely light weight.

Click ON "News" in the top header:

http://www.dymag.com/index2_e.html

I will try to have these imported for racing in series that do not require metal wheels.

·
Registered
996 Posts
That's interesting... Or should I say "unique" :)

Hey DJWorm, just curious... I understand these are probably just for racing, but what do you think would happen if you scraped those on a curb or something like that? Would they be easily repairable?

Geoff

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would only use these for the track or AutoX only.

I do not think they would react kindly to road rash.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, this is some really scary (as in great) stuff!!! I'm running the Kodiaks which are 16-18 lbs each. If you could make wheels that weight 8-12 lbs each, you'd cut a ton of rotational mass and unsprung weight. It'd be like you added 10-15 HP...assuming the wheels hold up.

I wrote Dymag for some info on this. If they send me something, I'll let everyone know the specifics. Cost????? God only knows!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
CF is actually fairly tolerant of abrasion. Scuffing the surface does little to impare the structural stability of the material.

CF is, as you would expect, composed of lots of really tiny intertwined fibres. It's very "redundant". A lot of fibres have be damaged before the structural integrity degrades enough to cause failure.

Nicks, gouges, and delamination (either from manufacturing defects or excess loads) are the most common causes of failure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Could this possibly be the same wheel as mentioned on this thread?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45934&page=2&pp=20

A 8lb carbon fiber rim with magnesium spokes. Looks to be selling for around $1500 each! The following is an interesting excerpt that the builder of the rim posted on that forum.

I am Curt W and I own the company that produces the carbon wheels....they only weight 8 lbs and are constructed with a carbon fiber barrel with Mag. Spokes. We so far in the last 2 days have sold over 40 sets. and are at least a 6 week wait. The wheels are full D.O.T. and are rated @ 5000Lbs. each. some have said something about failer and I will be the first to say that if the go it will be nasty, however if the go the wheels hit ssomething that hard the car would be totaled from the impact. These wheels have proven to be twice as strong as the Z06 wheels and impact rating exceeded the testing capability of the testing lab. we sent the lab 100 wheels of which ZERO failed any of the test. We also sent 100 Z06 wheels to have the same test ran they had a 63% failure rating. The testing of the carbon wheels went beyond all of the DOT testing for a alloy wheel.... alloy wheels are required to pass 2.5 million cycles, Our wheels were required to pass 5 million cycles due to the new technology.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'll bet those look great against my black Z. And I'm sure my wallet will be lighter by about as many pounds of cash as the wheels save...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Now this is a good use of lightweight materials. If any of you folks are able to get a set of these a write-up in Product Reviews would be great. :coo:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts