Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the rubber pipe cap method and I was impressed with the way it quieted down the interior of my Z. However, I was not pleased with the way it increased the effort to move the shift lever and put tension on the shift lever and shiting forks.

It apperaed to me that the lower boot and the rubber pipe cap are to stiff to make a good shift boot. So I searched the internet for a boot that would fit the shift lever and has a base dimension that would allow it to be attached to the lower boot.

What I found was a Hurst shifter boot part number 114 7336 for about $16.00 + frieght.

Here are some mod. and installation pics.

This pic shows the lower boot after I inverted it for the rubber pipe cap mod. Note that this boot has a hard plastic ring that I had to break inorder to invert it. Of all the info I read on inverting this boot, none of it mentioned having to deal with this plastic ring. My Z is an '03, maybe the '01s and '02s don't have this?

This pic shows the boot after I removed all the raised portion off of it. This was necessary so that the Hurst boot would sit flush on the lower boot. I used a pair of scissors to cut the boot.

This pic shows the Hurst boot bolted to the stock lower boot. I used # 10 x 1" machine screws and nuts to attache the Hurst boot to the lower boot. To mark the holes to be drilled in the lower boot, I first put the lower boot in place on the torq tunnel then with the shift lever in neutral I placed the Hust boot over the shift lever and down onto the lower boot. Then I adjusted the sides of the Hurst boot to be parallel with the sides of the lower boot and used a very sharp O ring pick to mark the holes to be drilled.
NOTE: After I bolted the two boots together, I center punched the threaded end of the machine screws to swell them so that if the nuts should become lose they can not unscrew all the way off of the threads and fall in to the torq tunnel.

This pic shows the under side of the lower boot with the Hurst boot installed. Note that the bolts holding the Hurst boot on are on the inside of the rubber lip. It is necessary to have the bolts in this location so as not to interfer with the lower boot fitting back on to the torq tunnel.
You can also see some white material around the hole in the lower boot. This is camper tape. NAPA part number 770-1763. 3/16" thick X 1 1/4" wide, self adhesive PVC, high density foam rubber. I used it to make a tight seal between the lower boot and the Hurst boot. I trimmed the excess tape out of the hole after I bolted the two boots together.

This pic is of the two boots installed in the Z and ready for the consol to be installed.

I am very pleased with this mod. I have an interior that is as quiet as with the stock shifter and no more excessive drag or tension on the shift lever.
:D :D

:cheers: Russ :cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Russ,

You are the guy who spent the most efforts in fixing the noise and feel of the Hurst shifter I have ever seen. Thank you for the details. Way to go! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Very interesting but, I think the reason you had some resistance with the rubber cap is you had it with the cap top up. I put mine in with the cap top on the bottom and I don't have any resistance in shifting.

My 2003 also had that hard plastic ring on it. I had to cut it out to be able to invert the isolator. Even with the ring cut out, it makes a very snug fit around the cap. I've heard from other people with 2003's that said they didn't have this ring. I'm thinking GM came out with this mid year or something. It makes for a more positive connection with the stock shifter from what I can tell.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Hurst boot is installed 180 out from normal. If you look at the second pic you will see that the hole in the lower boot has a notch cut out of it that neeed to be covered. Also notice that the Hurst boot is not centered within it's rectangle. That is why it is installed 180 out from normal.

Russ

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Nice! :cheers:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm looking for the hurst PART number too.. Where can I find and order one?

thanks

·
Registered
932 Posts
anyone got the phone number to order one?

also where is a pic of the mcw knob?

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the great idea!

Great tips here guys. I plan to order both the shifter and boot assembly from Summit in a couple of weeks. The noise issue has kept me from installing one, until now! :guiness:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again for the compliments!! :cheers:

In the original post I didn't post the vendor for the Hurst boot because they are not a supporting vendor and I didn't want to get in hot water with the mods etc.

Do you suppose Hurst is wondering what all these boots are being used for? :lol: Should we tell them?? :NoNo: cause then the price of the boot will jump $40.00 :eek2:

Have fun with the mod,
Russ

1 - 20 of 29 Posts