Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the following in "Car Country News," dated May 23, 2005, page 16.

Car country news is published in the Detroit area by Springer Publishing Co. Established in 1990. Phone 586-939-6800.

Article is entitled, "Vette Fenders Deal Awarded."

BENNINGTON, VT. (API) Vermont Composites Inc. will produce about 14,000 front side fenders for the Z06 Corvette that General Motors Corp is launching this fall.

Representatives from the two companies recently announced the new contract and showed off a red Corvette to Gov. James Douglas and 25 other state and lcoal dignitaries outside ermont Composites' plant.

GM hopes to start selling the 500-hp Z06 domestically by Labor Day and overseas by the end of the year. Roughly one fifth of all Corvettes will be the Z06 model.

You heard it here first! :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The fenders are Carbon Fiber, is that true, but not the Hood? :z:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT L GO said:
The fenders are Carbon Fiber, is that true, but not the Hood? :z:
The article didn't say, but from previous info I've heard your right.

Any of our members from that area, that knows more about Vermont Composites?

·
Registered
711 Posts
from their website

We design, engineer, and fabricate custom advanced carbon and fiberglass composite structures. Structural composites produce finished products that are 40-60% lighter than the same item manufactured using conventional materials.

We use state-of-the-art engineering and production tools and methods. We serve the medical imaging, aerospace, military, automotive, and industrial markets.

Structural composites offer life-cycle advantages due to fatigue resistance and the elimination of corrosion

http://www.vtcomposites.com/index.htm

kingpin

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Zippy said:
Vermont Composites Inc. will produce about 14,000 front side fenders for the Z06 Corvette that General Motors Corp is launching this fall.
That's great info! Thanks Zip. I would assume then that GM is planning to produce approximately 7,000 Z06's (2 fenders per car). I can't see the GM selling 7,000 Z06's if they are priced up in Viper territory. Can't wait to find out!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I contacted the company and got this response about possible carbon fiber hood in the future:

There is discussion about an ultralight carbon fiber reinforced aftermarket hood, but it is at least 1 year out… probably further.

Nice company, quick response. He also feels that when the hood does come out, it will be available in primered state for the 'older' C6 Z06s. :)

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
8 SNAKE said:
That's great info! Thanks Zip. I would assume then that GM is planning to produce approximately 7,000 Z06's (2 fenders per car). I can't see the GM selling 7,000 Z06's if they are priced up in Viper territory. Can't wait to find out!
GM needs to have a certain percentage available in inventory for years so I imagine part of the 7,000 units are headed for inventory (repair replacements etc..)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes, hope they have some of those hoods available down the road also. Or still waiting on my favorite hood makers, Motor City Mold to come up with a nice one. Best made hoods out there, bar none!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Whoa, Zippy, just noticed how many posts you have on here! :jawdrop: You are Da Man! What color Z06 are you getting? Red here!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i though carbon fiber fenders was long public knowledge, no?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes they are. This just tells where they are coming from and that probably a carbon fiber hood is in the making down the road a year or two...........

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Torch, I reallly want white!!!

If they don't bring it back, I'm thinking Velocity Yellow.

Tony :) :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Zippy said:
Torch, I reallly want white!!!

If they don't bring it back, I'm thinking Velocity Yellow.

Tony :) :)
Zippy - I am already sold on VY.

GOLD72 :yeadog:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Has anyone ever wanted a mystic multi-clolored vette. In the 90's Cobra had some. They were pretty tripping to look at. Would GM ever consider offering a Mystic Z06. I personally would love to have one. They say the paint job alone will cost $3/$4 thousands more. It's something like 7 different coats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts