Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guest speaker at our local Vette club meeting was Harlan Charles. Harlan arrived in a LeMans Blue C6 Zee for members to look over, and gave us a presentation on the 2006 Corvette.

Here's some of the highlights:

* No gas guzzler tax on the Z06. :cheers:
* Top speed 198 mph.
* Quarter mile, 11.7 @ 125 mph.
* 1.04g on the skidpad.
* A competition gray wheel option (Q44) will be available later in the production schedule.
* The C6 Z06 will have Halogen fog lamps....a first for Corvette.
* The smaller, 3 spoke steering wheel will be standard equipment on the 2006 Corvette.
* The 1LZ and 2LZ option codes were changed from 1SA and 1SB to help maintain consistency in the Chevrolet lineup. The "Z" signifies the Z06 model Corvette.
* The fender badge will read "505HP."
* The front air scoop is functional.....allows air to enter the area under the hood for engine bay cooling.
* HUD is standard equipment on the Z06.

Thanks Harlan for taking the time from your busy schedule to show us the baddest Corvette ever! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
thanks. :jammin:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Good info Zipster, thanks bro...

mark

·
Registered
449 Posts
Awesome info....

Also, excuse me for maybe not knowing, but who is Harlan Charles? Is he a GM Engineer or executive? Just curious....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Sweeeeet

So that means it'll run to 200mph most likely. Even it wont it'll just take a little more power to do so. And if they're running an 11.7 with it that means I can run an 11.5. And with tires...and ranger, jrod, or brent at the wheel...oh boy. And 1.04G's...dayum . This is going to be fun :D

Q: I thought those tires are rated to 186 or so. If that's the case how can they let the car go to 198? What tires, if any, are rated higher? I always thought the highest rating was 186 yet these days there are a lot of cars that can push 200.

·
Registered
101 Posts
phantasms said:
...Q: I thought those tires are rated to 186 or so. If that's the case how can they let the car go to 198? What tires, if any, are rated higher? I always thought the highest rating was 186 yet these days there are a lot of cars that can push 200.
I need to look if we are getting () tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

In excess isn't a very clear statement.

Since 198 is in excess of 186 () tires meet the test?

:jawdrop:

PS: The pictures I see have Y rating: 186mph

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
At the end of the plant tour our guide said top speed of 218mph. It was early and I swear I had not started drinking yet. Anyone else hear that?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
KCMAGS said:
At the end of the plant tour our guide said top speed of 218mph. It was early and I swear I had not started drinking yet. Anyone else hear that?
that guy was wrong for a couple reasons. one..it doesn't have enough power. two..i'm pretty sure redline in 5th gear is about 212. so to make it go any faster than 212 would require changing the redline or a ton of power to pull 6th.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
phantasms said:
that guy was wrong for a couple reasons. one..it doesn't have enough power. two..i'm pretty sure redline in 5th gear is about 212. so to make it go any faster than 212 would require changing the redline or a ton of power to pull 6th.
\

Amazing car! I am sure with time at 21st CMC or LPE it will do over 218 :yeadog:

Chris

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Chris310P said:
\

Amazing car! I am sure with time at 21st CMC or LPE it will do over 218 :yeadog:

Chris

true....if you raise the redline.

and i'm not sure how much past 7000rpm i'd want to go on a 427ci engine. :eek:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Zippy, you've done it again! Thanks :z:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
phantasms said:
Sweeeeet

So that means it'll run to 200mph most likely. Even it wont it'll just take a little more power to do so. And if they're running an 11.7 with it that means I can run an 11.5. And with tires...and ranger, jrod, or brent at the wheel...oh boy. And 1.04G's...dayum . This is going to be fun :D

Q: I thought those tires are rated to 186 or so. If that's the case how can they let the car go to 198? What tires, if any, are rated higher? I always thought the highest rating was 186 yet these days there are a lot of cars that can push 200.
The car is rated at 198 mph, but has gone 202 mph on various test tracks according to a few people I talked to. This is a 200 mph car.. :jammin:

·
Registered
609 Posts
The Night I got a Ride in The C 6 Z06 :) He told me that he gets 26 MPG And It has went 11.57 We will see . He works with *Dave Hill* I know One Thing I WILL HAVE THAT Z06 427 :eyes:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
constren said:
Awesome info....

Also, excuse me for maybe not knowing, but who is Harlan Charles? Is he a GM Engineer or executive? Just curious....
Harlan is Product Manager Corvette Marketing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts