Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the Z Fest I got the mod itch.... :roll:

I am considering: long tube headers (with 02 sensors), high flow cats and a cat-back system.

Before I drop the $$ I wanted to know if anyone with similar mods had any issues with NJ State Emissions Inspections (at a state or private facility).

On my last car, a 97 TA WS6, I had a Borla running with the wide open plate and had it inspected at a state facility. The NJ DMV inspector complimented me on the sound of the exhaust (it was inside a building so it was a pleasant rumble).

When I was in PA I had to take the car to a private facility and there were no issues with the noise level either. However, I was told by the facility owner that had I touched the cats (moved or altered) by law he could not pass me.

Thx in advance for your inputs.

Pat

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Pat,

fwiw..I went to a private facility and with long tube headers....I passed....(and it was the day the state was their inspecting the inspection station) ( I was like holly sh!t! but I still passed easy!

No problems at all.....so I say...go for the LG or kooks long tubes with x pipe and cats....and with a stock catback they won't even know the car has headers...IMHO..

BTW...I have a light cam because I didn't want to deal with emission standard testing etc....and shortly after the state went to pcm rather than tailpipe emissions so if you ever get the itch to throw a cam in....Go deep!

BTW...one of our sites sponsors... TTP in NJ has a cam/header install with the dual valve springs for about 3500 dollars...

I recommend them although they are in Clifton NJ and your in Cherry Hill. I like these guys as they did great work...and offer both great service and Price!

--------------

btw....and JMO but I saw a state inspection worker loose a car on the dyno a few years back....(no damage but still it came close to the wall) so I would recommend the 50/75 BUCKS for a private facility with the vette...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx JB, yeah Clifton is a hike from here at ! 2+ hrs away. I used to date a girl up there back during college so I know that drive all too well.

My dad owns a gas station but he does not do inspections. He used to until they wanted $50k+ for a dyno machine. He sends folks around the corner to another shop, but I did not want to put the guy on the spot and ruin his good relationship w/ my dad over a set of headers.

Looks like it's time to spend some dough on the beast. Just broke 5k miles so time to start the modding!

Pat

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Back in the day when I lived in Jersey. State inspections were the only game in town.

I had a 427 68 Camaro and had to lean the heck out of it right outside the facility just to pass the sniffer test. PITA!!

Now in sunny Florida. No Inspections!!!!! Life is good. :yeadog:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts