Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You still haven't said what your overall goal is with the car. Do you want something that will hold value or are you just looking for the best performance bargain?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm not exactly sure. I have an 02 Viper GTS that was previously owned by a celebrity. The car has 3,000 miles on it and I plan to only drive it occasionally (500 miles per summer). I would like to have a vette to replace the 02z I sold to drive more often and take to 3-5 open track events per year. I don't want a plain c6z51. The c6z seems to not be here until late Fall (I do have $1000 deposit with Rick Daniels), but this new car just seems like the 'knockout punch'. Limited production, collectible, TT 725hp w/ warranty. I wouldn't look @ either car as an investment, but would hope for it to hold it's value more than the c5z06.

That is what I plan to use it for: 1000 miles per summer, 3-5 non-competitive track events... What do you think??? Getting the c6z means it would be much easier to KEEP the Viper. The new Ling would probably need to REPLACE the viper. ??? Thanks for ANY ADVICE you guys have...

·
Registered
638 Posts
blu byu said:
I'm not exactly sure. I have an 02 Viper GTS that was previously owned by a celebrity. The car has 3,000 miles on it and I plan to only drive it occasionally (500 miles per summer). I would like to have a vette to replace the 02z I sold to drive more often and take to 3-5 open track events per year. I don't want a plain c6z51. The c6z seems to not be here until late Fall (I do have $1000 deposit with Rick Daniels), but this new car just seems like the 'knockout punch'. Limited production, collectible, TT 725hp w/ warranty. I wouldn't look @ either car as an investment, but would hope for it to hold it's value more than the c5z06.

That is what I plan to use it for: 1000 miles per summer, 3-5 non-competitive track events... What do you think??? Getting the c6z means it would be much easier to KEEP the Viper. The new Ling would probably need to REPLACE the viper. ??? Thanks for ANY ADVICE you guys have...

Hello fellow Michiganian!

If money is not an issue, I say go for it.

Can I take a look at it once you receive it? :thumb:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
blu byu, you can't live that far from LPE.

I think if you head down there and ask for a demo ride in their Stage III package you will have your answer.

PS. Get serial Number 1.

Pat ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bearing,
I was thinking the same thing - serial #1 if available, or my wife's lucky number #4. Have you ever ridden in one? I've seen a few 9.50 videos and it looks crazy. Actually, it looks like you've had them (or someone) hook you up with the c5r 427 TT. Was it LPE and how did you feel about their service, quality, etc. Did you do any additional trans or rear end work??? thanks,

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lex,
I'd be glad to share it w/ anyone interested if I go forward with it. I think that is the whole fun of having something like that.

Would you guys sell the Viper to get something like this, or keep it and go with a less expensive Corvette. I really liked my 02 z06, but sold after getting the Dodge last summer. Now I wish I hadn't...
??

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have the LPE package done by 21st CMC.

The cars are a real rocket ride.

I have had the trans and rear beefed up, tubbed rear, brakes, etc..

Service was first rate.

Imagine rolling your LPE serial #1 across the Barrett/Jackson auction block down the road. I'm sure it would bring top dollar.

Pat :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Buying any of these (or for that matter virtually any other) car for appreciation is (pick: insane, not wise, unlikely to yield postive results).

While some old cars seem to have very high values now, it is only a few very special ones. Most have had restorations that equal most if not more than their current value. They have had operational costs their entire lives. Many that were significant.

A loaded L88 would be nice. Notice how few were built. And how few of those in '67-70 stayed stock. Ditto Hemi Cudas, etc. The same money to purchase, store, and insure those cars for 35 years would probably have yielded a similar gain. Remember, while it seems a $4k car is now $200k. Those would be $40-65k cars today. The real gain is 300-500%.

The Lingenfelder car will be nice. A C6Z with a $20k custom leather interior and mods that should be readily available in mid-06 or mid-07 will be nicer. And a stock C6Z51 convertible or C5Z16 coupe will probably have higher appreication.

For racing, the Lingenfelder will be faster on a drag strip, however my guess is the C6Z will be more fun on a road course. And doing your own mods, a quicker car then either can be built (and may board members have).

My wife and I are keeping our '94 Supra TT stock. And one day it may be worth a few $$ (maybe the equivalent of its purchase price). Our reason for keeping it is so that in another 30 years (in our 80s) we can go to cruise night with an original car we've owned for 40 years. Any Corvette would work for that. Although a Z06 would be special. :coo:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Mufflerbearing said:
I tend to agree.

They would become collectible over time to some extent and should therefore hold their resale better than most down the road.

Pat
For Sure........I totally agree with you :yeadog: :z:

·
Registered
638 Posts
blu byu said:
Lex,
I'd be glad to share it w/ anyone interested if I go forward with it. I think that is the whole fun of having something like that.

Would you guys sell the Viper to get something like this, or keep it and go with a less expensive Corvette. I really liked my 02 z06, but sold after getting the Dodge last summer. Now I wish I hadn't...
??

I dont know your financial capability (but I'm sure you are very much capable), would it be a stretch to keep the viper and still have the Ling. C6?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Keeping it and getting the Lingenfelter car would be great. The only problem there, is I'd basically have 2 great cars that I wouldn't be driving. I've looked @ it a few different ways this weekend and that would be the most preferred way to go. I always worry a little about perception of others, and I wouldn't want the cars to be too 'in your face' if you know what I mean...? If I never had worry about friends/family seeing the 2 cars in my garage, I'd have them both in a heart beat...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'd keep them both. People are always going to have their opinions about you, but it's your life. Live it to the fullest and enjoy both cars! Tell them that it's therapy for healthy living. :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you're collecting, I wouldn't worry about the neighbors. However the Ling C6, IMHO, is not collecting. A '68 L88 would be collecting.

On the '68, you wouldn't be expected to drive it much. Any money spent on it would probably come back on resale. And its value is probably pretty solid, at least if you didn't buy it at the BJ auction.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
8 SNAKE said:
What do you plan to do with the car? If you're going to drive it quite a bit, I'd hold off for the new Z. If you're going to park it, this car will certainly hold value better than a new Z later down the road.

I can't believe someone didn't pick serial #1. That's definitely what I'd pick if I had my choice!
You said it--it's an undrivable collectable the minute rubber hits pavement. I couldn't really enjoy it. I would want to leave the stickers on it and store it in a heated vault.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
blu byu said:

I don't think tracking it is a good idea if your idea is to keep it "collectible".

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Are they smog legal :-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I believe it is smog legal, per the person I spoke with @ LPE. I'd like to see a sample of the car in black as opposed to victory red on the LPE site. This may be a bit too much to spend for a car that I'd likely not want to put many miles on... thanks for all of the useful advice.
John

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
blu byu said:
I believe it is smog legal, per the person I spoke with @ LPE.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts