Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mobil1 is now advertising three new synthetic oils (5W-30) that they say last longer (5000. 7500, and 15000 miles) than the Mobil1 we were all told needed to go into our Z06's. Is there a down side to swtiching over to these new Mobil1 oils besides what I expect to be a slightly higher price tag? Are they a better oil for our Z06's?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am fairly sure the 15000 mile oil is the old Mobil 1 oil, just a new look. In fact, based on the commercials, the label still says Mobil 1, so I think it is the same thing. Just another marketing sceme to build interest.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

For some reason, Mobil 1 doesn't list these oils as meeting GM Standard 4718M, which in my 2002 Z06 owners manual is the required oil for the LS6. Another forum member actually contacted Mobil and specifically asked them if these oils met GM Standard 4718M and Mobil said no, they do not.

Here is an interesting article from Lube's and Greases on the new line of Mobil oils:
ExMo Extends Oil Drains to 15,000 Miles

AMSOIL's 25k mile SAE Synthetic 5w30 retail price is in the price band mentioned by this article for the 15k Mobil EP. AMSOIL Preferred Customer pricing is over 20% less. Difference being the AMSOIL SAE 5w30 is listed by AMSOIL as meeting GM Standard 4718M.

The following AMSOIL Group IV, PAO based synthetics meet GM Standard 4718M and are rated by AMSOIL for 25k miles or one year of use.

AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 10w30

Note, your filter is not rated for that long. The AMSOIL SDF line of filters is rated for 12,500 miles or six months of use.

AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter

AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
AMSOIL Ordering Information

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Subdriver said:
For some reason, Mobil 1 doesn't list these oils as meeting GM Standard 4718M, which in my 2002 Z06 owners manual is the required oil for the LS6.
Wow ... that's suprising! So what Mobil 1 is GM putting in the new Vettes at the factory right now? ... and in the future? :-?

Also, does anyone know if the Mobil 1 “SuperSyn” (the stuff that they had before this EP stuff came out) is going to be discontinued?

Damn, I wish some of these oil companies would just leave shit alone sometimes. I think this is the 2nd “reformulation” that Mobil has done in the last 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You know, there are so many claims about oils, it is very hard to sort the signal from the noise. I have never had a oil related failure in any engine, even when I ran 2 cycle Moto-X bikes. I can say that the main and rod bearings in my GT-1 cars' motor (ex Tony Stewart's Gibbs Racing motor) that is being rebuilt as we speak, look very good after 3 years of Royal Purple #21 racing oil. Having said that, I always used Mobil 1 in all of my street cars and ran my tow vehicle for over 150K miles and still did not burn any oil. Brad uses Amsoil with good success as well and I think most of the good brands of motor oil that meet the GM Standard 4718M will be good. Where a difference can really be found is in the MN6 trans. In our '01 ZO6 T1 car, we found that the Mobil Synthetic ATF really did not work very well when the temps got hot, but the Royal Purple "Syncromax", and the RedLine MTL did. Brad, does Amsoil make a manual trans lube?
Have you used it?
BTW, what do you use in a submarine gearbox? I saw on the side of an USAF KC-10 jet engine, "Service with Mobil 2 jet only". I know they are an apples and oranges comparison, but interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
203 Posts
NinjaZ06 said:
I am fairly sure the 15000 mile oil is the old Mobil 1 oil, just a new look. In fact, based on the commercials, the label still says Mobil 1, so I think it is the same thing. Just another marketing sceme to build interest.
No, the new Mobil 1 EP oils are not the other Mobil 1 formulations. Take a look at this thread, the EP does have a better add pack and more Super Syn than the other formulation.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000274

From the Mobil website:

What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and the currently available Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Subdriver said:
Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

For some reason, Mobil 1 doesn't list these oils as meeting GM Standard 4718M, which in my 2002 Z06 owners manual is the required oil for the LS6. Another forum member actually contacted Mobil and specifically asked them if these oils met GM Standard 4718M and Mobil said no, they do not.

[/url]

:cheers:
The reason they list that oil as meeting 4718M, is because it doesen't meet the requirements :zboobie:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
so what's the bottom line?

What flavor of M1 should we be using in our cars?

I just had the oil changed 3 weeks ago, if I need to top it off what should I put in?

What should I buy in mass quantities to bring to the dealer to put in my car at my next oil change?

sorry for all of the questions...

·
Registered
203 Posts
gresch said:

I just had the oil changed 3 weeks ago, if I need to top it off what should I put in?

What should I buy in mass quantities to bring to the dealer to put in my car at my next oil change?

IMHO, if your worried about certifications/standards use the non-EP blends

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
ghoffman said:
In our '01 ZO6 T1 car, we found that the Mobil Synthetic ATF really did not work very well when the temps got hot, but the Royal Purple "Syncromax", and the RedLine MTL did. Brad, does Amsoil make a manual trans lube?
MTL? Not D4?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
gresch said:

Mobil 1 5W-30
The Mobil 1® 5W-30 grade delivers the viscosity recommended for most General Motors vehicles and many imports. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the approved and the first choice of premium car manufacturers, including Corvette. Mobil 1 5W-30 meets:

GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
ACEA A1/B1
ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)

Or any oil thats meets GM 4718M. That is marked on the bottle :z:

·
Registered
91 Posts
ghoffman,

Amsoil does make all kinds of gear lubes as well as ATF that we use in the trans. of our Z06's. I am using the Amsoil ATF in my car now and have had excellent results. I am a member of three clubs here in Arizona and road race my car at least one a month. It is very hot here and have only gotten the "trans. hot" message once at 271 degrees. I understand the message is triggered at 270 degrees. My trans. worked noticeably better after putting in Amsoil. Have been using Amsoil for years with nothing but great results. It is all that I use!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Does anyone know if the Mobil 1 “SuperSyn” (the stuff that they had before this EP stuff came out) is going to be discontinued?

I guess if they, do and I have to top off before the next oil change, it sounds like I could use the new EP forumula and mix it with the old stuff?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Zing said:
Mobil1 is now advertising three new synthetic oils (5W-30) that they say last longer (5000. 7500, and 15000 miles) than the Mobil1 we were all told needed to go into our Z06's. Is there a down side to swtiching over to these new Mobil1 oils besides what I expect to be a slightly higher price tag? Are they a better oil for our Z06's?
Looks like the old "SuperSyn" formula is not this ... know as just "Mobil 1", and looks like new packaging:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx

I see the Mobil 1, 10w-30 does meet the GM4718M spec too.

The 5000 is a CONVENTIONAL (i.e., NOT synthetic) oil
The 7500 is a BLEND
The Mobil 1 is 100% synthetic (same as what it was for the last couple years)
The Extended Performance is 100% synthetic with more SuperSyn and more wear additives and cleansers than the old "Mobil 1" above.

Research the link above and you can see what they all are.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
Looks like the old "SuperSyn" formula is not this ... know as just "Mobil 1", and looks like new packaging:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx

I see the Mobil 1, 10w-30 does meet the GM4718M spec too.
Yes it does

Mobil 1 10W-30 exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline engines where an API certified oil is specified. It meets:

API SM/SL

GM 6094M/GM4718M

Requirements for Diesel Powered Vehicles where an API CF or API CD is Recommended

ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5
:z:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
IT L GO said:
Mobil 1 5W-30
The Mobil 1® 5W-30 grade delivers the viscosity recommended for most General Motors vehicles and many imports. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the approved and the first choice of premium car manufacturers, including Corvette. Mobil 1 5W-30 meets:

GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
ACEA A1/B1

Or any oil thats meets GM 4718M. That is marked on the bottle :z:

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
So if we use the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil -- which is not advertised to meet GM 4718M spec -- does that technically mean it would “void the warranty”?

I wonder why the new Mobil 1 EP formula doesn't meet the GM 4718M spec?

·
Registered
124 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
So if we use the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil -- which is not advertised to meet GM 4718M spec -- does that technically mean it would “void the warranty”?

Possibly, but highly unlikely. There was a ruling a few years ago involving one of the automakers vs a guy who's engine in his car blew up. The jist of it was that it has to be proven the oil caused the malfunction to void the warranty.

SubDriver may know what I'm refering to, amsoil touts this case bigtime in their literature (or at least they did when I sold it hehehe).

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

I emailed Mobil last week and asked the same question. The answer I got was that is doesen't meet the requirements of GM 4718M and to use Mobil 1 10W-30 or Mobil 1 5W-30 which does meet the requirements of GM 4718M. :cheers:

·
Registered
203 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

I guess 'technically' the dealer could void your engine warranty, but how would they know that you are running EP blends and not the regular blend? I sure wouldn't tell a dealer anything that could even remotely give them an excuse to deny warranty service.

I really think it's questionable that most Corvette owners would benefit from the use of the EP blends. From the VOA's that I've seen, the additional additives are for extended drains and not to reduce wear. How many of you would wait 15,000 miles to change your oil?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts