Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:)
Hello everyone,
I've been considering a 02' Z06 or 02' NSX for some time now, but very nervous about the Z06's reliability. I have searched thru the forums about it's reliability, and I am a little confused. I know the NSX is very reliable but for 90K, it's not your " bang for the buck". I know of the C5's problem history since 97' i.e. column lock, warping rotors, oil comsumption, pistons, rings, ect... For a 40-50K car, shouldn't GM have fixed all these known problems by now and treat C5 owners better when it comes to customer service. Many 02' owners have mentioned that most/all mechanical problems have been rectified by GM in the 02' model, is this true.
I am leaning toward a Z06, but don't want to dump 50K into a car that I have to sell within a short period of time due to reliability & bad service from Chevrolet dealers, I see many turn-overs on 1st year C5 owners :(
Also, is there any honest & good salesman like Rick Daniel & dealer in Dallas Tx ?
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

U can see my cars: http://www.photoisland.com/servlet/[email protected]

password: luvcars

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
No problems here

I have 6500+ miles on my car, and absolutely no problems. I drive the car hard( don't abuse it), and take it to work everyday( until it snowed here:( ). But I don't anticipate any problems. Have made a few modifications, but nothing major. I think a lot of people who traded their 01s for 02s went for the 405 HP. I don't have anything bad to say about the NSXs other than they are very expensive,and are not very radical looking( for that much money,but that is my opinion). I guess you should drive both. Maybe that will sway you one way or the other. Good luck. Either choice is a winner. ;)
Think he will get a biased opinion here? :lol:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have had mine now for 4 1/2 months, not one service call. My Porsche TT had 7 visits in two months and burned a quart of oil every 500 miles for the first 2000 miles. I believe it is all relative, if Chevy sells the Z06 for 90,000 I think you could expect a few less nuances...till then it is the ultimate sports car for the money IMHO. :cheers:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
3500 miles and not one problem. I like the NSX body but the performance and cost are just not right for that car. I would consider one if it were $45k or so but I would choose the Z for overall enjoyment. My neighbor has a buddy that comes by almost every day. He has a yellow NSX. It is a nice looking car. They are talking of putting in a high horsepower V8 in the near future. Now that would be great.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It is very hard to beat the Z06, it out performs most cars and the 02 does not have that many problems, and all for only 50k. Take the extra 40k and put a portion into mods on the Z06 and nothing will be able to touch you!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I have eaten 2 NSXs with my "Z".
I am sure they were not too happy.
Buy the Z06.

·
Registered
396 Posts
22K on mine, No problems at all. Drive it everywhere. Only thing Iv done is change the oil. Great car.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hey CharlesN!!!

Welcome aboard, and let me say a few words here. My car is not a Z06... It's a straight 99 FRC (No mods until next month)... Has 34+k miles on it. It still drives like new... Goes fast and strong. I use it for a daily driver and put about 100 miles a day on it. Just had it in the shop for a complete look over and it passed in every respect.

What you do, I suggest... Is get the car, have your mechanic go over it, and drive it. It's under warranty. It's mechanical and occasionally shit happens. But for my money you gotta drive what you love, and you can't be afraid. If something breaks have the general fix it. That simple.

My next car, and daily driver, will be a Z06. No questions asked and totally unafraid.

Dan "Going where no one has gone before" Farmer:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
CharlesN - Welcome aboard.

LOL - I doubt anyone here would steer you towards anything other than the Z. The NSX is a great car.

However, for 50K the Z06 is simply amazing. JD Powers rated the 2000 and 2001 Corvette as the most appealing premium sports car. 2002 hasn't been rated yet. I'm sure though that with the improvements to the '02 Z06 and Corvettes in general JD Powers will once again choose Corvette as the best sports car.

As far as reliability, the C-5 Corvette has far fewer reported problems than any other sports car. Corvettes do have the reputation of being finicky. However, this has all changed. The new Vettes are as they say, "The Best Vettes Yet." Not only that but they are the most affordable sports car in their class, when you compare them to Vipers, Porshes, Ferraris, etc. For price and performance you cannot touch them. It is a true show room to go vroom (pun intended) road ready race car.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
The NSX is one of my favorite foreign cars, but still prefer the American made V8 powered Z06. No brainer here.

Previous C5 Vets:

'99 Convertible...No problems, loved it.
'00 Convertible...Same as above.
'01 Z06....Same as above, again
'02 Z06...Same as above, but love it MORE! :D

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Charles: Welcome to the Forum! This is the best bunch of car enthusiasts you'll find anywhere. There's a tremendous wealth of knowledge, experience and opinon. :cheers:

Let me offer this brief perspective:

2002 Acura NSX
Base Price: $84,000
Engine: 90 degree V-6, DOHC, 4 valve/cyl
Horsepower @ RPM: 290 @ 7100
Torque @ RPM: 224 @ 5500
Curb weight, lb: 3153
0-60 mph, sec: 4.6
EPA mpg, city/hwy: 17/24

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Base Price: $49,505
Engine: 90 degree V-8, alum block/heads, OHC, 2 valve/cyl
Horsepower @ RPM: 405 @ 6000
Torque @ RPM: 400 @ 4800
Curb weight, lb: 3118
0-60 mph, sec: 4.07
EPA mpg, city/hwy: 19/28

I pulled all of these facts from the February 2002 copy of Motor Trend. They are irrefutable!!:cool: :cool:

I looked closely at the NSX from the Penske Brothers in Scottsdale, AZ. They were offering a 400 BHP package for a mere $120,000.:eek: :eek: :eek:

The Z06 offers Exotic-car power, Super Handling and the best Performance-to-dollar-ratio on the Market!!:yeadog: :yeadog: :sneaky: :crazy: :crazy:

I'm done.................... Good luck, hope to see ya in your Z06 soon!

:z: :z: :z: :z: :z: :z: :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Buy the Ricer!

I suggest you buy the ricer. When you have it let me know and we'll go at it on the drag strip. You will really be sick, when my $50,000 Z06 eats your $90,000 ricer alive.

Z06Y Lady

G

·
I have to say honestly that the NSx is more a competitor for my automatic 99 C5 than a zo6..

I pull 0 to 60mph sprints in 4.6 seconds via gtech and its quarter mile times at the track are 12.88 @ 109.43mph...on street tires.with just two or three easy bolt ons. Powerloader/halltech/corsas

The lateral g rating on this car stock is .93 and with just changing tires to Michelin pilot sports I bet I'm pulling .97 g's..

NSX is a beautiful car.. a fine sports car..

I would say..the leather on the vettes seats are cheezy but for a few dollars ..just get them reupholstered if that matters to you..

thats about the only place the vette pales in comparision..

The leather on the seating surface is cheap but my butt doesn't seem to mind..

Go for the zo6!

Thats even more impressive than a standard C5...and I've had no problems with the car in 22K miles..except the column lock which was no big deal..I just drove to the dealer..they gave me a loaner and fixed it in one day..Absolutely no big deal!

Good luck with whatever you decide..

No wrong answer..just different choices..

Next car up for me would be a zo6 with the mod red interior..thats what I would suggest to anyone who asks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
NSX - Aging Pricey Exotic

The NSX has been long overdue for a serious powertrain upgrade and instead it gets a dose of the one thing it already had aplenty - refinement! In today's rapidly evolving world of supercars, the NSX's performance is outclassed by the competition for less money - read 911 Carrera, Z06, Viper GTS; heck even the new M3 has pumped enough iron to challenge the NSX's lofty price-to-performance valuation. In comparison with the '02 Z06, the NSX is short some 100 odd ponies to be a serious contender in this league. As wonderfully sophisticated as it is, it needs a soild horsepower boost to keep it afloat and keep raking in the supercar dollars; as it stands, I don't see Honda doing it right by their flagship!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you want the best bang for the buck go for the 2002 Z06. Just look at the horsepower to dollar ratio. That alone should convince you. :z: :z: :z:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The NSX suffers from the same problem all Acuras suffer...no V8. I am buying a luxo sport sedan this summer, and as good/sensible the Acura sedans are, with a V6 they just don't "get it."

The NSX will be much better with the new V8, but this model needs upgraded. It is a "nice" car, but doesn't have the edge that a true performance car should have.

Buy the Z06, you won't be disappointed, unless you are one who would feel that driving an American-made car is not the thing to do (my brother is like that).

Good luck.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I also looked at an NSX, a few years back.. bought a Lotus
Esprit V8 instead.. now I'm waiting for my EB Z.

When I was looking at the NSX, I priced INSURANCE on it,
the Esprit, and 2 recent Ferrari.

Go do that.. price insurance.

Make sure you're sitting down.

Because it's an Aluminium body, the insurance is RIDICULOUS.

I could honestly have bought a Ferrari 512TR or F355 as a
DAILY driver for cheaper insurance than the NSX :eek:

(and I'm 35+, married, perfect driving record!)

My agent and I are pretty much "friends" so he showed me
the screen.. apparently there were exactly TWO cars currently
in the that same "category".. both all AL bodies and both
had actuarial rates of "Oh my GOD!".

Decision was made.. no NSX :D

The Esprit V8 is long gone.. too delicate for my tastes

Hopefully I'll have my Z by the 1st of March.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:)
1st. I would like to thank everyone for their inputs, reponses and posting of Z06 performance stats compared to the NSX & other sport cars. Seems like everyone is very happy w/ their Z06s' performance & its raw power. I have had a chance to drive an 01' Z06 & a 99' NSX, and I in my opinion, the NSX is a little more agile, but when it comes to hard core performance, it does not compare to the Z06 or the updated 405hp 02' for that matter. I have read all the of the magazine articles about Z06's compared to 911TT, Vipers, Mustang Cobra Rs, & NSXs, and the Z06 have beat them or performed on par w/ them for fraction the cost. The 02' Z06's performance was never in question in my thread, just reliability. Since 02' is so new, I don't think any owners have had 50K+ on their Z06 yet. But initial reponse seem to be pretty good.

2nd. Buy the Ricer!
I suggest you buy the ricer. When you have it let me know and we'll go at it on the drag strip. You will really be sick, when my $50,000 Z06 eats your $90,000 ricer alive.
Z06Y Lady

If I can repond to Z06Y Lady's comment, I do not think NSX would ever be considered a "ricer (imports w/ ungoddly stickers, wings, potato gun muffers, ect)... the comment is a tad harsh, granted it may be an overpriced Acura that is in need of a V8, not costmetic changes after 10 years, but it's still a great car.

I also did drive a couple Lotus Esprits (I partial to mid-engines :), but these cars are unreliable & delicate (my friend has one), it's reliability nightmare. I did check on the NSX's insurance, it's the 3rd highest cost car to insure even that I am 34, married, w/ 3 cars already, it's still very high.

At this point, I leaning very much toward the 02' Z06, have wanted one since the 99' FRC came out but kept waiting for reliability to get better.

If I do get an 02' Z06, you bet I'll be back here to post pics & browse to get mod info. :D

Again, thank you for your help....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts