Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 03 z06. Just curious what the "Shift 1-4" light on the tach is refering too.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
When that light is on, you cannot go from 1st to 2nd gear. We call it the CAGS, and if you can shift normally, when the light is lit, it has already been bypassed. This is a very common modification.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome...it forces you to shift from 1 to 4 under normal driving. The rpm range is between about 2000 rpm's and 2400 rpm's. Real pain in the ass. You can get a "skip shift eliminator" for $20-$30 bucks or just rev past the light and hit second.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is also referred to as "skip shift" it is designed for fuel economy. If you are doing easy city driving and in stop and go traffic it gets to be a pain in the ass. It will "skip" 2nd and 3rd gears and automatically shift from 1st to 4th gear if you are shifting in the low rpm range. Three ways to eliminate or avoid it:

1) More agressive driving with high rpm shifting will void this.
2) Purchase the "cags" defeat connector (U.S. $20) and this will remove it.
3) Have your performance shop delete it.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The skip shift is enabled at 15 mph and disables at 19 mph or 21% Throttle.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
What they said.^^^^^
Hopefully you got the owners manual, CD, and Video with the car.
If not, there are sources identified somewhere here.
There are all sorts of little mysteries about the C5 and the Z; some of which may defy explanation .... like memory settings and what activates/ignores them ... :screwy:
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
lordgibbo said:
I just purchased an 03 z06. Just curious what the "Shift 1-4" light on the tach is refering too.
Thanks
just to add C5s dont deal with it very well because it was built for the C4 which add more down low IMO, Our Z06 are cammed for higher RPM power so its even worst, IMO it will cause engine damaged if used excessivly :roll:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

"Shift Light"

"CAGS" stands for Computer-Aided Gear Selection. It forces a 1st to 4th upshift under the following conditions to improve fuel mileage and help reduce pollution.

- The vehicle speed is between 15-19 mph
- The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is greater than 171 F
- The barometric pressure is greater than 76 kPa
- The accelerator pedal position (APP) is less than 26 percent

·
Registered
259 Posts
FRC Tom said:
The skip shift is enabled at 15 mph and disables at 19 mph or 21% Throttle.
What he ^ said
WELCOME to the site. I drive mine like I stole it so it's never a problem :sneaky:
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts