Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Yesterday I bought an 01 Mil yellow Z06. It has 33400 miles on it. The car runs fine idleing. And acclerates like crazy. But every so often, it acts like you let completely off of the throttle, then punch it back down. It falls on its face then picks right back up and pulls. I have only noticed this at hard acceleration. And it doesn't happen all of the time. One other factor, which i don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I don't think the Steering coulmn lock recall has not been performed. Whenever I turn on the key, the warning shows up till you reset it. From what I have read, isn't that a very serious hazard? Or does it sound worse than it is? And should that have been taken care of before the vehicle was sold because of the saftey issue. The car is going back to the dealership tomorrow morning, the bad thing is it isn't a chevy dealership (Toyota). This is my first Corvette, and I don't want them to screw me around on something that I am not familiar with. Thanks for reading and any help you may have. Bryan

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sounds like the traction control is activating.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Same thing happened to me once. Is it the rev limiter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it is the rev limiter. this happens at anywhere from 3k to 5k not anywhere near the redline. it is almost like a fuel cut in the middle of acceleration. I was only doing around 70-80 when it happened. Thanks Bryan

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd take it to a chevy dealer and have them diagnose the problem, then take the argument up with the toyota dealer. If you are getting a "Service Column Lock" message, it has nothing to do with the recall, it's more likely like mine just did, the steering column lock rack is bad, along with the relay switch. I got into mine to start it, and the column wouldn't unlock. Had to have it towed, and repaired. Not a cheap fix either.
J

·
Registered
387 Posts
First of all, welcome to the club!

I do not know exactly what your problem is, but it may have to do with the traction control and the cpu attempting to adjust itself to compensate for the extra power.

Also, try to avoid taking your Z to a dealership (especially a Toyota one). Find a mechanic who knows what he is doing and wont rip you off, and go from there.
In any case, I wanted to give you some advise. Since you bought an '01, like I did, you have bad rings (whether you know it or not). And within the next 10-20K miles, you will begin to experience alot of blow-by and heavy oil consumption. Luckily, you are still barely under warranty and can still have GM fix it for free. Keep in mind, the bad rings are not a recall item, but were put on a TSB a while back. The problem was fixed in most of the '02 models and all of the '03 and '04 ones. Once you exceed the 36K, you will have no warranty and a much lighter wallet.
As for the column lock, if you take your Z to a GM dealership, they can tell if it has been fixed or not by your VIN. Since it is a recall, you are fine eitherway.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
sshaddowz said:
Hello all, Yesterday I bought an 01 Mil yellow Z06. It has 33400 miles on it. The car runs fine idleing. And acclerates like crazy. But every so often, it acts like you let completely off of the throttle, then punch it back down. It falls on its face then picks right back up and pulls. I have only noticed this at hard acceleration. And it doesn't happen all of the time. One other factor, which i don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I don't think the Steering coulmn lock recall has not been performed. Whenever I turn on the key, the warning shows up till you reset it. From what I have read, isn't that a very serious hazard? Or does it sound worse than it is? And should that have been taken care of before the vehicle was sold because of the saftey issue. The car is going back to the dealership tomorrow morning, the bad thing is it isn't a chevy dealership (Toyota). This is my first Corvette, and I don't want them to screw me around on something that I am not familiar with. Thanks for reading and any help you may have. Bryan
sounds like you had the Traction control on, trying turning it out getting at highway at around 45 mph on 3rd and punch with tc off, do it a few times and if it does it then you have a problem, if it doesnt then you just had the TC/AH on,

luis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all of the replies. That helped. I will check on those things and see. Will the car still be under warranty? I think I am the Third owner. Does that have to be transferred? Thanks again Bryan

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
sshaddowz said:
Thank you for all of the replies. That helped. I will check on those things and see. Will the car still be under warranty? I think I am the Third owner. Does that have to be transferred? Thanks again Bryan

GM has 3 year/ 36k mile warranty so I figure if none of the previous owners extended warranty no, Im sure If someone did they would let you know so most likely not, but the column lock recall is ofcourse free in GMs shops :yeadog:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
It is the traction control doing what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Cave Man said:
It is the traction control doing what it is supposed to do.

most likely, also sshaddowz, traction control if on will make your car bog even if theres no spinning if you shif quick, no matter how fast you are going and how likely you are to spin, my TC comes on at over 100mph if I powershift :yeadog:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts