Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed any issues with braking performance when swapping say a set of hawk or similar pads to a new pad, say PFC01 or Carbotech Xp9 using the same old rotor. Assuming the rotors are in good shape.

I have had some problems in the past with the Mustang rotors as the old pad seamed to leave some material on the rotor that the new pad did not like. In the end the brakes did not feel very smooth. Maybe it was just the pads I was using back then. So far I have not had issues putting on the same compund with the old rotors.

Just looking for your experiences as I want to test a couple different compunds the next time out and want to be prepared.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
You need to bed the new pads in. That will transfer the new pad material to the rotor, and all should be well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have found the transfer layer of certain pads has a hard time getting scraped clean by other pads, which is neccessary for the new pads to bed into the rotor and lay down their own transfer of pad material. Last example was going from Hawk Blues to street Panther Plus. I ended up with uneven transfer material and shudders under braking. Once I put the Blues back on and re-bedded, everything was fine again...the Blues at low temps are so abrasive, I basically "turned" the rotors on the car!

Hawk actually reccomends sanding the rotor surface before using any non-Hawk pad.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
mgarfias said:
You need to bed the new pads in. That will transfer the new pad material to the rotor, and all should be well.
Yup :jammin:
I just installed new XP9s front and XP8s rear on my old good rotors :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
If you bed them in you should be okay. Another way to go is to pick up a second set of rotors and match pads to rotors. At $25 a pop at Napa you really can't go wrong. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts