·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTP 006.jpg

GTP 005.jpg

GTP 004.jpg

GTP 010.jpg

This is my Consulier GTP track car. I've wanted to replace the Chrysler drive train for a couple years now, been waiting for the Ecotec turbo engine to come out. I bought one this morning! 260hp/260lbft. Got it from a salvage yard in Mich. Car was damaged in transit, being dismantled tomorrow. Engine w/ computer, wiring loom and sensors, 5speed trans with a 3.82 posi diff., axles and shifter with cables. It has 2 miles on it!!!
I'll start as soon as there is no snow and above freezing temps, I need to get a couple cars out of the garage first. (That's my C6 Z06 in the foreground of the one pic) I have an auto shop a mile from home that can tackle the swap. Hope to have it at the track before the end of summer.
I hope this doesn't turn into a major nightmare, but what the heck, the car has been sitting for a couple years now, I can't get the head to stop leaking coolant.
I'll try to post pics as things progress.:mug:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
In the early '90's, Mosler entered a Consulier on a few occasions, with mixed results...Doug Beatty Jr. from Canada finished 2nd Overall in '91, I believe. The Mosler Intruder, on the other hand, was BANNED from the One Lap for being too good. Funny, they haven't done that yet with 5-times-in-a-row Winner Mark DaVia's 996 TT...

Good Luck with the 2.0 EcoTec w/boost! A sweet lil engine for a sweet lil car!

Did the engine come from Shram's?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Consulier was banned by the SCCA after the '91 season, I believe. The Intruder was run for a few years, and I remember they were allowed to run with a single 2 barrel carb and a restrictor plate! I met Shane Lewis who ran one for a couple years at Road America, that car was beastly fast.
My car was set up by Tom Reese (who won the 1 lap 2 years in a row with Porsche) for the previous owner when Tom was working as an instructor for Track Time Driving School.
Yes, the Cobalt drive train is coming from Schram's. It's not the one currently on ebay, though. If I had a little more green, I'd like to buy that and put it in my DD Cobalt LT!:lol: The SS is a little screamer.

COME ON SPRING!!!!!:mug:

·
9,755 Posts
Cool car!
That must be a blast on the track - especially with the new Ecotec turbo :D

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
My car was set up by Tom Reese (who won the 1 lap 2 years in a row with Porsche) for the previous owner when Tom was working as an instructor for Track Time Driving School.

Actually, Tom won in '96 (Mosler Intruder) and '97 (Mosler Raptor), so having him set up your car would be a GOOD thing! And a great guy, too! He put on many of the "qualifying" schools for the One Lap, and gave many their first taste of high-speed driving on One Lap-venued tracks.

If I remember correctly, the '97 win was soooo impressive, considering they ran most of the event on 7 cylinders...and STILL ran away with it!! Good ol' LT1 power... THEN Moslers were banned...

And Shane Lewis has more than a passing knowledge of One Lap as well. Lingenfelter's "Silver Bullet" T/A, and a certain Lambo in '99 that, for a dry track at Waterford Hills in the final event, would have Won Overall...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right, it was in Moslers, I got the opportunity to follow Shane and Tom in a prepped BMW M-3 car at Road America. They were running around together and I was following w/ my ZR-1. Tom had an interesting way of going through the kink. (Hard, flat out righthander) He'd put 2 wheels on the curbing...the driver side wheels! I swear I got showered with more grass clippings than if I had followed a Dixie Chopper! I didn't have the jewels to try that move!!:lol: The two of them put on quite a show. I learned a lot from them.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Tom had an interesting way of going through the kink. (Hard, flat out righthander) He'd put 2 wheels on the curbing...the driver side wheels! I swear I got showered with more grass clippings than if I had followed a Dixie Chopper! I didn't have the jewels to try that move!!:lol: The two of them put on quite a show. I learned a lot from them.
2 points, here:

One Lap has enjoyed some outstanding talent over the years...many pro names you've heard or read about...so that event is a LOT more than "a few days' driving around the country"... :yeadog:

The quickest route between Point A and Point B is often in a fairly straight line... :sneaky:

Keep us "posted" on your Project's progress...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That car looks like a blast! :)
Yeah, it's a full bodied go-kart. 2100#, the engine in it now dyno'ed @ 278 hp and 298 lb/ft on 18# boost, and 240/250 at 14#. I don't lose too much with the Ecotec motor, except ~75# of weight. That's nice, because the Consulier is ~40/60 weight bias to the rear.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Running into questions with this already. If somebody has the talent/knowledge to be able to tell me what electronics I'll need out of the donor car, please respond!! Any help or ideas are appreciated. I am not that computer savvy. I have the ECM (engine control module)and engine wiring loom, and understand I may need the BCM (body control module) and possibly the ignition switch and key, also I think I'll need the OBD II port under the dash. Is this correct? Or can the ECM be programmed to ignore the BCM, ignition, etc. I'm trying to get the info together while the donor car (2009 Cobalt SS) is still fairly intact at the salvage yard, I won't be getting it for a couple of weeks yet, and the person I'm in touch with is doing a good job of getting the pieces I will need.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, maybe I'm just trying to save GM on my own, but after getting the service manual for the driveline, (and after driving a Cobalt SS a couple times) I bought a new 2009 Cobalt SS Friday afternoon. Traded my 2008 Cobalt LT in. I really liked the LT, but the difference between that and the SS is amazing! Seats are so much more supportive, (spending 2 1/2 hours for comute to work and home is worth it alone) not to mention FUN!!!
This car is unbelievable! People need to get out of their heads that GM doesn't know how to build cars. My wife was skeptical about spending more for "the same car" until she drove it! (I bought her a Colt GT turbo back in '84 when we first got married, and she loved that. I think she gets bit by the turbo whistle!)
Anyway, update on the project, I'm going to Waterford, Mi. to pick up the drivetrain this week. Then it's more reading and studying the diagnostics and electrical diagrams in the service manual to see what all goes into the ECM. I'm still following 2 paths, trying to use all the stock electronics, and investigating a stand alone ECM. So far it has resulted in many :mug:.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry that my first post is a resurrection. But, does anyone know "bean" who started this thread. I'd like to talk with him about his GTP, but he hasn't been on this site since 2010. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

-Deryk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts