Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There--
My Z06 has 9900 miles & I just had the new rings installed at Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa, CA. The service manager's name is Alan Vondra & their phone number is 714-546-1200.

I want to thank Frank, c4c5 & everyonelse for the their help & support.
Bob e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Great news. Remember to treat it like a new car for a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
New rings at 9,900 miles? Am I missing a recall or something? I have an '01 Z06 manufactured on March 19, '01. Do I need to take the car in?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
New Rings installed $ Associated problems

I have been through two sets of rings. I was burning a quart of oil every 500 miles. By the time the redesigned rings were available I had burned through over 12 quarts of oil. Most of this is now residing in my exhaust system, which they will not replace. It is still being thrown on the back of the car. I have also had to have the air conditioning system replaced twice as well as the fuel guages, which decided to stop measuring consumption. I am getting no support from the factory. Has anyone succeeded in getting Chevrolet to stand behind their product? I am strating a complaint with the BBB Autoline for arbitration. Has anyone got anywhere with this process?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, I am very surprised that Chevrolet is allowing this situation to occur with their top of the line sports car. I doubt that Porsche would treat its customers in the fashion that I have been treated. I am looking forward to hearing what others' experiences have been.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The first thing I did when I picked up my Z was drain that Mobil 1 crap out of the motor, and put organic oil in it....break it in with organic...and break it in HARD! :)

I've been WOT about 90% of the time, put 1300 miles on it...haven't burned a drop. I'll swap the oil out again at 1500, then 3000, then put some type of synthetic back in it at 5000 miles.

Mobil 1 isn't always the best choice for these motors, they're finicky....my best advice has always been, use a synthetic after 5000 miles, if it burns, swap to another type of synthetic, if it burns, find another one...you will find one that doesn't burn it. In the 4 LS1 motors I've owned, and 2 friends experiences with LS6's - Mobil 1 burns more than anything else. I finally settled with Valvoline Synpower on 3 of them, and Royal Purple on the other. On the other hand, I have had friends finally settle on Mobil1. Back to the "finicky" point...find out what's best for YOUR motor, not necessarily what's "recommended" for ALL of them.

Of course, when you throw in a bad ring problem, all that goes right out the window.

Did GM, at any point during the '01 production run, install the "revised" rings? My car was produced in May, '01...just curious if I got the "revised" pistons and rings???

·
Registered
0 Posts
qwik z06,

Hope everything turns out well for you Bro!! :cool:

Rob, unfortunately not all dealers perform the work we expect. :( Have you tried calling GM Customer Service?? Do you have a case # with GM?? GM likes you to work through channels and they will be more likely to help you.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe they did. I got mine in February, and have had the problem since I got it. I couldn't get the newly designed rings until August in the meantime, the only service I got was free Mobil 1! I am really concerned about long-term damage and the effects of lubrticating things that are not supposed to be lubricated. Add to that the fact that my engine has been spread over the dealerships service floor twice and it just hasn't gone back together as it should have. I believe that their repair attempts have led to the minor ongoing problems that I amstill experiencing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been through one end of GM Customer Service Department to the other. I have a file open with them and as far as they are concerned it is closed because I have the new rings. They are not willing to address the exhaust issue or the long-term damage that this ring problem may have caused. I have basically had my car in the shop for about 1/6 of my ownership period.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
fcalmes said:
TAMUz06,

Katech, builders of the C5R engines use synthetic Mobile 1 to break in all their motors. :-? If it's good enough for the C5R, it's good enough for me. :)
Yes, but they're building a race motor...it's SUPPOSED to burn oil...they're loose. :) You don't want to burn oil in the street car...yeah, you'll lose a little...*shrug*...but not that much. :)

Ask Katech how much oil they go through...and how often they change it, in the C5R's....

race motor/street motor=apples/oranges :p

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Mobil 1 isn't a great motor oil. It is. I'm just saying from MY experience...the rings we get like to be broken in on conventional oil, and broken in hard, and for a long time....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think this is more of a case the rings not having enough tension, rather than the type of oil being used. I just passed 1,000 miles & will go to the dealer for my first oil change since the new rings were installed. I think Frank can give you some good advice on how to get GM to help you.
Bob e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Mobil 1

I became a Mobil1 convert many years ago. I have had a chance to examine what many motor look like (since I spend my nights working in a friends machine shop) after different conventional oil has been run in them. I have 2 Nissan pickups. 1 is a show truck and the other is a daily driver. My show truck has 85K miles on it, and the motor ran Mobil 1 from 100 miles on the odometer onward. The motor is completely spotless inside. The top of the head look like a new casting right out of the box. I have run the oil changes over 7500 miles on two occasions when I forgot to do my regular maintence. My work truck has 250K miles on it and hold great oil pressure, and runs like a top. When I bought it it had 55K miles and the inside had plenty of deposits already built up. The inside ranges from tan to black. But since I converted it over to Mobil 1 no other deposits are evident anywhere inside the motor.

My aluminum headed TE63e equipped 87 GN runs Mobil 1 exclusively. And did for the first 168K miles before its recent rebuild.

I changed the oil on my 02 Z06 and am running Mobil 1 in it.

So between just a few of my cars I have over 500K miles on Mobil one without any major failures

Here is what I have seen when it comes to conventional vs synthetics.

Synthetics are ususally mad of PAO poly-alpha olefins. What does that mean? It means that all the waxes, esters, and non-lubricanting components left in convetional oil are removed. So what you have is oil that does what it is supposed to do lubricate!

Conventional oils we coke and burn, break down etc... My father and my grandfather both worked in the labs at Exxon. In fact my Dad help QC the spec fuel for the Corvette Challenge. Exxon became a sponsor for the Corvette Challenge. When that happened Exxon oil replaced Mobil 1. Up until that point they had not had any motor failures. After that they became a regular occurance. Becasue the conventional oil in a STOCK motor couldn't handle the heat and the load.

Mobil 1 (or any true synthetic) will outlast any conventional oil by a gigantic margin.

The relly bad thing I have seen is folks mixing oils. Which is never a good idea no matter what kind of oil you run. Find something and stick with it. I have seen two or three motors come in that the folks got the bright idea to add a quart of synthetic to the conventional oil (that already needed changing). The net result was a motor full of black goo with the consistency somewhere between Jell-O and RTV.

Now as for break in. The only thing I have seen with synthetic oils and break in is this. Mobil 1 (and other synthetics) do such a good job of lubricating I have heard of folks having problems getting rings to seal in some cases. In most cases this could be traced back to too slick a finish on the cylinder walls. Not enough load during break in, combined with lubrication that is too good.

So, yes you might feel like breaking in a motor on conventional oil would ensure that your rings would seat. And it will because it does a much poorer job lubricating the engine and so the ring will wear more, and ensure that the get a good seal. But the break them in hard and they run hard mentality is myopic in its approach.

A motor has a certain ammount of wear that will take place when it is new. Placing an excessive load on it to accelerate that wear and increase those tolerances over other motors broken in in a more rational method is not a best practice.

Anyhow, thats just my $0.02

-Jarrod

·
Registered
166 Posts
Burning Oil Also..

It looks like I might have the ring problem that so many others seem to have. The oil was changed on my car at 2250 miles. I had to add a quart of oil at 3450 miles. Using Mobile 1 per GM's recommendation.

It appears that this problem is not widespread but still a problem with some cars. Since I bought my car out of state, I don't have much experience with any local Chevy dealers. Any suggestions for Northern California, particularly the 680 corridor, between Dublin and Walnut Creek? Also, I have the Halltech TRIC and ported throttle body installed. Does this void the warranty?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Issues.

HI there,
Well, if I may. Gm does NOT recommend the organic oil for many reasons. As for the break in of the LS6, we are told NOT to start an oil consumption until the vehicle reaches 5000 miles.
Now, I feel that you, Rob, have NOT been correctly served. It takes me 4 days to do this job. Yep, you heard right. I am paid 18 hours. My guess is that a mechanic got stuck with the job, and wasnt very applied, if you get my meaning.
A repair is only as good as the mechanic behind it.
I can only state what has been my case, of the 13 that I have done, all have had oil usage drop to 1 qt in about 3000, which is acceptable.
Best to all, c4c5

1 - 20 of 22 Posts