Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2003 Z06, track it 3-4 times per year. Need new tires. Does anyone have experience with Continental Extreme Sport? Thinking of 275/40/17 on front and stock 295/35/18 on rears. Any other thoughts on tires for stock rims? Or, Thought about 18” all around using Yokohama 052 at 265/35/18 front and 295/35/18 rear. Just need to find wheels, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris. I can’t recommend much current tire info but when I ran my 02Z on the track years ago I was on Michelin’s and they seemed to be a good dual purpose tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Chris, I’m new to the forum too. I just put rear tires on my 03Z last week. I replaced the rears with Mickey Thompson ET Streets 345/35R18’s on CCW 12 inch wheels. I run 17” Michelin’s up front.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Chris, I’m new to the forum too. I just put rear tires on my 03Z last week. I replaced the rears with Mickey Thompson ET Streets 345/35R18’s on CCW 12 inch wheels. I run 17” Michelin’s up front.
Do you track the car with that setup?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do. They’re a drag radial or what a lot of people refer to as a “street slick.” They’re great for the track, but terrible for the street in rain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve got a 2003 Z06, track it 3-4 times per year. Need new tires. Does anyone have experience with Continental Extreme Sport? Thinking of 275/40/17 on front and stock 295/35/18 on rears. Any other thoughts on tires for stock rims? Or, Thought about 18” all around using Yokohama 052 at 265/35/18 front and 295/35/18 rear. Just need to find wheels, any help would be appreciated.
@Chris Shot Hey Chris, I've had a few diff set of tires on my 04 Z06, to include the Conti ES. IMHO, sad to say the Conti's were the worst tire I've ever put on my car. They felt very 'mushy', as though the sidewalls were made of marshmallow. I live in So Cal and all our freeways are grooved concrete - the Conti's tracked terribly bad, like nothing I've ever had before, to the point of actually being scary. I ended up returning them (through Conti's guarantee/warranty) and replaced them with Michelin Super Sports. The Michelins are the best tire I've ever run, with the Vredesteins being a reasonably close 2nd. I've run Nittos NT05 on the rear only and they were pretty good, and I was also pretty happy with the old Goodyear F1 GS D3s but they've been discontinued for a while now. Note - My Z06 is my daily driver and only sees 'spirited' driving, no track days, so your needs may be different. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Chris Shot Hey Chris, I've had a few diff set of tires on my 04 Z06, to include the Conti ES. IMHO, sad to say the Conti's were the worst tire I've ever put on my car. They felt very 'mushy', as though the sidewalls were made of marshmallow. I live in So Cal and all our freeways are grooved concrete - the Conti's tracked terribly bad, like nothing I've ever had before, to the point of actually being scary. I ended up returning them (through Conti's guarantee/warranty) and replaced them with Michelin Super Sports. The Michelins are the best tire I've ever run, with the Vredesteins being a reasonably close 2nd. I've run Nittos NT05 on the rear only and they were pretty good, and I was also pretty happy with the old Goodyear F1 GS D3s but they've been discontinued for a while now. Note - My Z06 is my daily driver and only sees 'spirited' driving, no track days, so your needs may be different. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info, I'll look into the Michelins for the OEM wheels and for the track I think I'm going with staggered 18" with new wheels. That should give me a lot more tire options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll look into the Michelins for the OEM wheels and for the track I think I'm going with staggered 18" with new wheels. That should give me a lot more tire options.
Good idea Chris, you'll be happy you did. I failed to previously mention that when I got new Speedline wheels a few years ago I went with 18"s up front. So now I have 275/35-18 in front and 295/35-18 in the rear, wrapped in Mich SS. I did no mods to accommodate this new wheel size and only noticed the slightest bit of rubbing and the extreme ends of the turning radius. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea Chris, you'll be happy you did. I failed to previously mention that when I got new Speedline wheels a few years ago I went with 18"s up front. So now I have 275/35-18 in front and 295/35-18 in the rear, wrapped in Mich SS. I did no mods to accommodate this new wheel size and only noticed the slightest bit of rubbing and the extreme ends of the turning radius. Hope this helps!
Thanks DB, that confirms what I've heard about the 18" all around setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts