Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. just wanted to introduce myself into the crew... I got my Z06 a few months ago ('01 silver / 26k miles / still bone stock - only installed flush tail light kit, shorty antenna, and polished Z06 exhaust plate) and can say I've never had more fun driving a car!
I previously owned a 350Z, 6 spd - nice car, and a peppy V6, but it just left me wanting more... I have a serious need 4 speed. After seeing a few riding around town, riced out with 20 foot whale tales and goofy paint jobs, I decided to leave that world, and take a dive into a different Z heaven...I'm glad I did.
I've been reading posts on this forum religiously for a few weeks now before actually registering, and I can say you are definitely a group of knowledgeable guys!

Anyway, I plan on lightly modding my Z - nothing big... CAI system and ECU edit/upgrade for starters (I don't know where to go for the ECU edit...?).
I do have a few questions: Being an "upgraded" version of the regular C5, isn't the Z06's stock exhaust system already quite beefy? I mean, I've heard stock C5's, and they sound nothing like the stock Z06.
Also, isn't the stock exhaust a quality, lightweight titanium as it is? Just wondering if it would make THAT much of a difference if I upgraded the exhaust. What size are the stock pipes? I guess it all depends on just how much power I want. I don't know - I have to get used to the power first, which at present, seems to be satisfying me.... but I guess I'll give it a little while, I'll soon be craving even more power! :z:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of American V8's. I do really like the 350Z's, but the Vette experience is SO much more. I think you will find this site to be on a whole new level also. :z:

And yes, the stock Z06 exhaust is very good from the cats back. Headers would improve the car though. There are lots of options from available from our vendors. From mild to wild, they got it.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

I'd hold off on a Dyno Tune (LS1 Edit) until you ad some mods like Headers, Cam etc. Dyno Tunes run around 500.00. The stock ECM program is pretty good. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
These cars are not like others I have owned. They are pretty good right out of the box. You have to spend some major $$$$ to see substantial HP increases.
Welcome to the site. Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Welcome Rocket! :cheers:
The 01 exhaust has two pup cats and two regular cats. The 02-02 exhaust only had two regular cats. The catback is made of titanium.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to be here..

Hey thanks for the input and the warm welcome guys.

It's not only my first American car, it's my first 8 cyl! I've outgrown the whole sport compact scene; at 27 years young, I'm glad to finally transition to the world of All American Muscle.
I love everything about the Z - the power, the handling, the sound... so much so that I'm sticking with Z06's from here on out! (I eventually want the C6 Z06) :thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question:

I forgot to ask a question... what does "WOT" stand for? Is there a list anywhere of common lingo used here for the Z06, or in general?
I don't know that much when it comes to engines and modding and such, and I just wanna be able to follow the convos.. keep in mind I've never even owned a V8, so it's a whole new world to me... :eek2: thanks!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Welcome brotha! :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
I forgot to ask a question... what does "WOT" stand for? Is there a list anywhere of common lingo used here for the Z06, or in general?
I don't know that much when it comes to engines and modding and such, and I just wanna be able to follow the convos.. keep in mind I've never even owned a V8, so it's a whole new world to me... :eek2: thanks!

"WOT" = wide open throttle :cheers:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:

Wide Open Throttle:D

Welcome to our world, you will LOVE your Z06 right out of the box.

I agree with the other guys here-hold off on the edit until you add some performance mods, then you will have a reason to tune :thumb:

there's a guy on here named PERFORMIN' Norman-stay away from him and you will do fine

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle. Congrats on your new Z and welcome to the site! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Welcome to the best site :z:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
Hey thanks for the input and the warm welcome guys.

It's not only my first American car, it's my first 8 cyl! I've outgrown the whole sport compact scene; at 27 years young, I'm glad to finally transition to the world of All American Muscle.
I love everything about the Z - the power, the handling, the sound... so much so that I'm sticking with Z06's from here on out! (I eventually want the C6 Z06) :thumb:
Welcome and congratulations on the Z and the Transition from the world of "fart" exhaust and whale wings. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
I suggest, to get to know your Z... :idea:
If you have the manual, video, and cd, review them.
Get some seat time in a safe environment, preferably track.
Know how the Z behaves in normal "all on" mode, Comp mode (AH on TC off), and "all off" ... and watch out for "all off" under WOT.
Be safe and enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
blkZ06 said:
there's a guy on here named PERFORMIN' Norman-stay away from him and you will do fine

:rofl:
Hey Hey Hey! I've got something to say to you woman.

Point taken! Good advice. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts