Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any comments on Touchless car washes.
Good, Bad, Tips??

One opened up in my area. I watched it and nothing but water, soap and hi-pressure air seem to touch the car.

7 bucks. Are they worth it? Are they any good? Cars going through were all "Hoopdies(sp?)", couldn't tell.

I love to wash my car by hand, but maybe if I'm in a hurry, or its too cold out?

FiveOJoe

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I've used them for my other cars, but not the Vet. I'd rather it stay dirty until I had the opportunity to wash it myself.
Another point....what if some part of your undercarriage/suspension were damaged when you drove into the wash bay?

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
0 Posts
This happned right after I bought the Z. It broke the front fender and scraped the rockers. It got hung up on the track. :cry:

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frank

This one had no tracks, it did have two stationary outside guides(pipes) to center the car if you can't drive in straight, , but they are way wider than the car, and don't really come into play. The customer pulls the car into a bay, and stays in it, and a machines makes several passes by it. You scared me enough already, but is this the kind that F%^% up your car?

Joe

·
Registered
179 Posts
Never, never, never hand the keys to anyone at a car wash!

That's what my corvette friend told me when I bought my first vette. (19....., it's not important)

And I just had to find out the hard way (before traction control) and watch it slide down the car next to it in the dry off area.
OH MY ......................

KEEP THE KEYS!!!!!!! YOU OWN IT, YOU DRIVE IT, YOU MOVE IT!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I believe my video makes mention of not doing car washes with tracks. I really like wiping off the water that runs out of my mirrors for the next 6 days anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
928 Posts
We have about 6 or 7 of those in our little town, every Chevron station has one plus another independent. I tried one last week, and used it again two days ago.
I must say it did a great job, just enough to knock the dust off, it cleaned the brake dust off the front wheels, and the bugs off the front and rear brake vents / grills.
I use the least expensive option, $3.00, thats 2 soap and two rinse passes.
A good way (if you have the nerve) to see how waterproof your window seals really are. Mine passed with flying colors!
Your wash sounds like the design we have, no tracks, just a couple of plates that you drive onto to position the car.
I walked inside to check out the whole thing and decided it was plenty safe. Glad I was right.
Also on driving in the undercarriage gets rinsed. Keeps a clean bottom, no build-up. :eek:

Stan

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use it for the Tahoe, but not the two vettes. I would rather be on the safe side. Most have a notice "No trucks with loose items in the bed, cars with body damage, vans or large SUV's, Corvettes or other similar sports cars. Operator assumes no responsibility for any damage." I'll see if I can get a picture of the sign the next time I bring the truck through.

They do an O.K. job, but after the car shows last October, I spent a day detailing the Tahoe like I do with my '87 Vette at the shows, it took all day but it was worth it. It takes me about 30 min for a quick wash for the Z06 and 1.5 hours for a complete detail with out wax, but I use a mild car wash solution so I don't strip the wax off. I was going to bring the Z06 through, but it looked like the tire stop was too high and might scrape the front spoiler or rocker panels.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use them all the time.

I think they work great.
I try to buy gas only from gas stations that have them.
If you don't have the time or just don't want to do it yourself I think these car washes are the best.

Some of them DO have pipe rail guides on both sides of the left tires. DON'T use these, Our rear tires are too wide for some of them and they will beat up your rims.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think I saw somewhere that since touchless car washes do not have anything to actually touch the car to wash it they add some type of chemical to the water & soap that is aggressive enough to get the dirt etc. off.

I would think that this would at lease shorten the life of youre Zaino or wax.

:mad:

Some body might want to check with Zaino, Meguiars, etc. to see what they think about it & post the responce.

:cool:

Terry :z:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I here is what I found from "Mothers" FAQ

http://www.mothers.com/carcare/carcare.html

WHAT ABOUT THOSE FREE CAR WASHES AT THE GAS STATION?
Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Many of those car washes use mechanical brushes which can damage your paint surface. In some parts of the country, the water is recycled, meaning your car is getting the same water applied as the "clapped out" 1974 Plymouth Volare that just pulled out (unless your car just happens to be that Volare). While filters can catch small particulates, they can't filter out the dissolved salt from winter use, or all those hoards of other nasty chemicals.

I did not even think of the salt or chemicals:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts