Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was wondering if anyone here has heard of, seen, or experienced an STS turbo system. They make them for several models including the new GTO and LS1 Camaro's and Firebird's. Their company website is www.non supporting vendor.com and they have some very interesting information about their product.

I read an article about the awards they won at the SEMA show in a magazine I subscribe to. The STS Turbo is a remote mounted turbo system that truly is a bolt on system. The turbo takes the place of the cars muffler in the rear and sends the charged air back to the front of the car. There is no need for an intercooler since the air traveling back towards the front of the car is being cooled on the way. The only modification under the hood is to connect the intake pipe. :sneaky:

The article and website mention that they are developing a remote mounted turbo system for the C5 vette. Does anyone know when this might be available or if any of the vendors here sell their products? :-?

If they need a car to test their system, I think I know of someone that might be willing to send their car to them. ;)

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
They've gotten some really good numbers from them on Fbodies. However, I'm a bit reluctant to have all the plumbing on my car. Seems like it would take a lot to compress that much air in all those tubes.

However, they have been producing good numbers. I would think using an automatic would be better as you can stall it and get the boost up before you launch.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The only thing I noticed, when Hot Rod TV did an install, was it seemed to hang down in the rear of the car fairly far. I can se where going down a steep incline may cause some problems. They did produce some nice numbers though.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
My neighbor has one on his FBody. The car goes like stink. The system looks hokey to me and I would be a little concerned about driving it in all kinds of weather because of the location. I didn't realize that they had developed one for the C5. I like to see pictures of the install. :cheers:

·
Registered
373 Posts
They are a great affordable solution for F-bodies since there is limited room, but there is more room on the C5's and I would not want a remote turbo on my C5. Plus there is less room on the C5 to run all that plumming with just the exhaust cavity.

There are more turbo kits coming out every once in a while that are much more affordable. Check those out as well, there is a lot of them popping up on ls1tech.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They have only been in business since 2003. Their web site says the unit for the C5 is not available yet. The install looks simple, but would like to see what it will look like on a C5. I have e-mailed them twice in the last few months. No reply. :-? I guess business must be good. :bang:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not a good sign. :-? A company just starting out should at least take the time to answer a few emails. Word of mouth is the cheapest advertising.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
terry schulze said:
Let us know what it sounds like since there will be no muffler. I was hoping it will not be loud. The install does look simple. I really like the idea of not having the heat as well as all the plumbing up front. :) For a daily driver it may not be good being under the car but for the fair weather cars it might be :coo: I don't know where they will put the pipe to the intake without it dragging the ground on a C5 unless they use eliptical pipe. :-?

They have a bunch of video clips of the GTO on their website. It sounds pretty cool. You don't really hear much of the engine, but you can here the turbo quite well. :yeadog:

Just do a search for "ststurbo" and the first result should be their website.

·
Registered
31 Posts
STS turbo update....

xxxeditedxxx

I'm sorry but we do not allow advertising in any way from non-site vendors. If you wish to become a supporting vendor here, please contact me or one of the admins.
MikesZ06

·
Registered
292 Posts
xxxeditedxxx

I'm sorry but we do not allow advertising in any way from non-site vendors. If you wish to become a supporting vendor here, please contact me or one of the admins.
MikesZ06

I am not a vendor.

My post contained a copy of an email response I received from the rear mount turbo company indicating that their C5 product would be ready in a few months along with CARB (Calif. Air Resource Board) approval.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Angie at Thunder Racing sponsors our F-body event (THE F-body event - www.fbody-event.org - 10 yrs running!) and she brought out her daily driver this year. It's an LS1 Z28 with an STS turbo setup. She drove it from Louisiana to Memphis, pulled into the staging lanes and ran 11.7s all day on plain, jane street tires.

I think it went lower 11s on a set of ET Streets.

EVERYONE was impressed.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
WayneE said:
Angie at Thunder Racing sponsors our F-body event (THE F-body event - www.fbody-event.org - 10 yrs running!) and she brought out her daily driver this year. It's an LS1 Z28 with an STS turbo setup. She drove it from Louisiana to Memphis, pulled into the staging lanes and ran 11.7s all day on plain, jane street tires.

I think it went lower 11s on a set of ET Streets.

EVERYONE was impressed.
That's very impressive. :thumb: What mods (other than the hair dryer) does she have installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
houston-z06 said:
xxxeditedxxx

MikesZ06
I am not a vendor, I am an engineer at Shell E&P in Houston Texas, I was simply looking for feedback on the XXX rear-mount turbo system, especially in light of the post made on xxxvetteforum in the forced induction section.

Sorry about that.

Thanks
Jason

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
houston-z06 said:
I am not a vendor, I am an engineer at Shell E&P in Houston Texas, I was simply looking for feedback on the XXX rear-mount turbo system, especially in light of the post made on xxxvetteforum in the forced induction system.

Sorry about that.

Thanks
Jason
Sorry Jason.
Your post, link and the contact information you gave made me think you were a vendor.
My mistake....

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's ok, I am a bulletin board rookie and a new vette owner to boot!!!

I have MTI putting in a 383 stroker for me in my 2KFRC this summer and am looking at either the D1SC, Kenne Bell (if it is ready this fall) or maybe this new rear mount turbo set-up...considering all options.....

Gunning to be the fastest FRC in the land.......

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i really don't think it's right that you can't post links to sites such as the above. if it were a site with a lightbulb or something that you can get somewhere rom a vendor than i understand. but something like this manny of us are interested in. if some site was selling some suspension that worked amazingly for our cars you would block it from us. i know it's the rules but i feel it takes away from the purpose of the site. yes the site takes some money to run, fine. but some considerations should be made by the vendors and admins.

rant off

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
phantasms said:
i really don't think it's right that you can't post links to sites such as the above. if it were a site with a lightbulb or something that you can get somewhere rom a vendor than i understand. but something like this manny of us are interested in. if some site was selling some suspension that worked amazingly for our cars you would block it from us. i know it's the rules but i feel it takes away from the purpose of the site. yes the site takes some money to run, fine. but some considerations should be made by the vendors and admins.

rant off
phantasms, I understand your points and your concerns.
Running a site and keeping everyone happy is an impossible job so we do the best we can.

Talking about new mods or improvements, etc is not a problem and is, in fact, encouraged by the site. Once advertising, links, contact information or pricing info becomes involved, we must edit out or delete that information as per our agreements with the vendors who pay to keep this site open as well as to conform to the original rules of the site as expressed by those who started it.

Consistancy in doing this is all-important. Can you imagine the flak we would get if each moderator viewed a post and used his/her judgement as to whether or not an edit was required? We would get bombarded from every side by those who thought we were predjudious in our judgements or inconsistancies.

Ergo.....no advertising, links, contact information, pricing, etc is allowed for or by non-site vendors. If you need to get that information after reading a post that is of particular interest to you, we have a system know as the 'pm' which allows that information to be exchanged privately and without appearing on the public site.

What more can I tell you, bro.....

Mike

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
2MchFun said:
That's very impressive. :thumb: What mods (other than the hair dryer) does she have installed.

From Thunder's website:

TR said:
This 2001 Z28 is the "Plain Jane" daily driver of Thunder Racing's own Angie Skinner. Nicknamed for it's stock appearance and lack of luxury options, it was purchased with nearly 90K miles in April of 2004. Modifications made included Thunder Racing 1-3/4" long tube headers with custom y-pipe, Hooker cat-back, Whisper induction lid with K&N Filter, ASP underdrive pulley and 3.42 gears. With the stock torque converter and stock internal engine parts, "Jane" clicked off a best of 12.25 @ 113.64 with a 1.83 sixty foot time.

Still needing a little more horsepower, an STS turbo kit was bolted into place, netting 444.5 rear wheel horsepower, with 435.2 foot lbs of torque. To supply the necessary fuel for the turbo, 30 lb SVO injectors and a Racetronix fuel system were added. To get into the boost a little quicker, a Vigilante 2800 stall torque converter was bolted in, along with a new stock rebuilt transmission to replace the 95,000 mile slipping factory transmission.

With a full set of luggage and a passenger riding shot gun, "Jane" was driven 400 miles from Baton Rouge to Memphis, TN, for the National F-Body Motorsports Event. Upon arriving at the track, the car was immediately hot lapped on the BF Goodrich KD street tires. The results were a tire-frying 11.76 @ 119.05 mph with a 1.883 sixty foot time. The rear tires were then changed to a set of slicks to net an impressive 11.46 @ 119.50 mph on a 1.695 sixty foot!

I'm sure everyone can figure out their web URL without me posting it. When you do, click on Project Cars and then follow it down to the plain-jane Z28 towards the bottom.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
phantasms, I understand your points and your concerns.
Running a site and keeping everyone happy is an impossible job so we do the best we can.

Talking about new mods or improvements, etc is not a problem and is, in fact, encouraged by the site. Once advertising, links, contact information or pricing info becomes involved, we must edit out or delete that information as per our agreements with the vendors who pay to keep this site open as well as to conform to the original rules of the site as expressed by those who started it.

Consistancy in doing this is all-important. Can you imagine the flak we would get if each moderator viewed a post and used his/her judgement as to whether or not an edit was required? We would get bombarded from every side by those who thought we were predjudious in our judgements or inconsistancies.

Ergo.....no advertising, links, contact information, pricing, etc is allowed for or by non-site vendors. If you need to get that information after reading a post that is of particular interest to you, we have a system know as the 'pm' which allows that information to be exchanged privately and without appearing on the public site.

What more can I tell you, bro.....

Mike

thank you for the reply

1 - 20 of 26 Posts