Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you installed a Vararam Intake on your Z06? If so, have you had any problems with rain/water getting into your engine? I want the added hp, but is the risk worth it? I would apreciate your quick comments on your experiences with this product. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
5 Posts
No problems with mine. You need to be the skipper on the USS Minnow to get water up into the intake. Install can be a little tricky. Instructions don't tell you to remove the shroud. It's much easier if you do. Good luck,

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
just do the zip tie mod.

way cheaper. you may be short by like 1 horsepower. and you wont cut your hands apart while installing it. heard the quality of it sucks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ive got the Vararam and Like it. The install does require a little patience but once installed your done and can just enjoy.

I bought the K&N airfilter for mine, as the original foam filter was pretty flimsy. The area where quality was marginal is in how the lid fit over the air filter. Just have to be careful that everything seals up when you change filters.

Ive been in some heavy rains w/no problems whatsoever.

I believe the Vararam is a good optional airfilter setup.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go for it, Vararam 2b is the best going. Best gains are seen in the quarter. No h2o issues.

·
Registered
882 Posts
:) I'd go with the Vararam 2B with the K&N filter. :)

The installation seems more complex that it is. Most of the assembly seems to occur in the last 30 minutes of my 4+ hour excursion. Most time is consumed taking things off the Z. :eek::

You get the outside air that cannot be simulated on a dyno. But many at the drags swear by them -- cheap horsepower gain. :sneaky:

Plus looks too kool.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I just installed the Vararam last week.. I did decrease my et by .12 and increase 1.75 mph over the last track day. But since I also went with 3.73's I don't know the true gain... I will be going to Fontana on 23rd. I did run with 3.73's there previously

Here is a link to the Zip Tie mod

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29243&highlight=Zip

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I have a vararam on my car and have installed somewhere around 10 total at the last few FiveOJoe's mod parties. The install is not hard, you just need to take your time and install all of the screws around the duct openings. Four to five hours for a first install is not unusual, because figuring out how to do it, is the tuft part. Once you know the drill, under two hours is the norm.

As to filters to use in it. The foam filter will work just fine, if you are willing to spend the time every 3,000 miles and clean it out. If not, get a K&N, most will not notice the difference.

nutbush said:
Can anyone comment on the HP increase. Has anyone dyno'd before and after?
Jeff
You really can't measure the effectiveness of the vararam on a dyno, the best way is to look at differences in 1/4 mile times and speeds. Lots of threads on this site and you need to decide for yourself.

There are lots of good aftermarket filters out there, the differences between them are not that huge. One of the reasons I chose the Vararam was I also liked it's looks.

You may want to consider a smooth surface air-bridge since the Vararam has a tendency to move upward some during driving and the standard duct can dig into the under hood insulation a bit. Good Luck on your decision. :thumb:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have never used Vararam, but on my current and last 'vette I used the Vortex ram air intake. It is less expensive, around $220 plus another $70 if you want a pre-cut radiator shroud. I can DEFINATELY feel the difference during hard acceleration and on the highway. Forget waht people say about dyno numbers. What matters is actual performance. Also, my 'vette is daily driven in Jacksonville Florida, and even during the rainy/hurricane season, I've never had a problem. Also, the install is easy. I'm not exactly a handyman, and also have a bad back from football and HATE bending over or getting on the ground and trying to work under a car. However, installation took me under an hour and was actually pretty easy. You might want to look into this ram air intake as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts