Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new Z06 owner I was wondering if I should change my oil at the 1000 mi. mark(have 700mi now) ? Also should the trans and or rear end fluid be changed ? I understand that a new car has alot of metal shavings produced early on from new metal to metal contact..
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Dave, welcome!!!! I changed my oil, trans oil as well as rear oil at about 1000 miles, there were some shavings in the trans oil, I would also get a magnetic drain plug and install that when you change the oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have read that GM has a transmission cooler for the Z06. Does anyone have the part #? Any details on its size, mounting location, plumbing, cost, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
The transmission cooler is for automatic transmission equiped C5's, not the ZO6.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
No there is a cooler for the 6 speed cars as well.
12480080 - Transmission Oil Cooler Package Pace Price $759.19 package

Package consists of all parts listed below .............

12480081 - Transmission Oil Cooler Pump Pace Price $384.62 ea.

12480082 - Transmission Oil Cooler Assembly Pace Price $115.77 ea.

12480084 - Transmission Oil Cooler Line Package Pace Price $229.22 package

12480086 - Pump Feed Pipe Pace Price $29.79 ea.

12480087 - Thermal Switch Pace Price $47.50 ea

** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
CARL: what did you use when changing the fluids? Did you go synthetic in the trans & rear? what weights? I bought mine last sat and have 400 miles on it. Was gonna chg the oil this weekend.
Has anyone lowered their car like the tape tells you to? And what about this extra quart of oil to autocross?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hcvone,

Thanks for the welcome. I think you know PA_Z06. We live about 10 minutes apart and hang out every now and then.

Anyway, I will change my oil at 1000 miles. Where do I get the magnetic drain plug??

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
racingfast: the car comes stock with synthetic in the trans and rear end. I'm not sure of the rear-end lube requirements (I'd assume 75-90w or so), but the trans requires ATF.

If you're going to go that route, I'd call up your local Amsoil or Redline dealer and put that stuff in.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
mgarfias, unless sthey changed for 02' the trans was filled from the factory with Dexron and it was non synthetic, the rear and engine was filled with synthetic. Dave, I responded to your post under cars for sale, please read and your welcome!!! I have been using Red Line 10-30 in the engine, D4 ATF in the trans and 75W90 in the rear. DISCLOSUER*************** I will be switching to Amsoil only because they are providing it to me for free**************
I believe that both Red Line and Amsoil are the two best oils on the market, they both use the best bases to produce their products, you can not go wrong with either. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Magnetic drain plug can be purchased from Fichtner Chevy 800-234-5284, ask for Bob in parts, it costs about $3.00

** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey Carl,
Can you order these at the dealer?
Is it an option?
I didn't know if these pats from GM direct?
Who sells them?
Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Dave,
Stop by Sutliff for the drain plug. I just got mine the other day when I was changing my oil. Total bill was $3.54 and this included an extra gasket for the plug.

Mark

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Changed my oil sat at 434 miles and found shavings in the drain pan. Gotta get a magnetic plug--or what about those caps for the oil filters? Will change again at 1000.

Nobody has lowered their car per the video yet?

PS: thanks MARK for your input. Will go total synthetic.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
VPRKLLR, I will call Bob at Fichtner Chevy 800-234-5284 and tell him your a Forum member and that I told you to call, I know Bob well, and see if he can even get you a better price, I do not know if he can get these parts although they look like normal GM part numbers, I believe they are from the GM high performance book but most GM dealerships can order them. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
The magnetic oil pan drain plug part number is 88891787 and should be available at any Chevy dealership. If anyone is interested in changing to GM's premium oil filter, the part number is 25329389, and you should find these at your local auto parts store. Look for AC Delco UPF-44. The standard AC Delco oil filter is GM part number 25010633, and is identified as a PF-44.

Hope this helps!

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Thanks STeve on the lowering tip.. Printed it out & will give it a try.. First autocross is this sunday. Hope to have 1000 miles on the car, and a second oil change as I found those shavings in the first chg. Will let everyone know how it goes. (racing that is!) Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts